what would you expect from a close friend?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rivermaze

I know that some may say it's a cliche. Well, sorry then :)

Let's assume that I meet a person, with whom I think we might get on and develop a friendship. However, this person doesn't want to speak about their expectations and I'm not a mind-reader neither. I'm being left with my ideas only. What your expectations regarding a close friend are? I need some ideas and suggestions, please please :)

SophiaGrace said:
kamya said:
Like a close family member. They are rare but once you have one or two it is worth it.

:cool:

I once had a friend, to whom I liked to refer as a sister, but hmmm, I'm not sure whether she expected it :D Thanks kamya

And you Sophia, what would you like your close friend to be like?

rivermaze said:
SophiaGrace said:
kamya said:
Like a close family member. They are rare but once you have one or two it is worth it.

:cool:

I once had a friend, to whom I liked to refer as a sister, but hmmm, I'm not sure whether she expected it :D Thanks kamya

And you Sophia, what would you like your close friend to be like?

Right now?

Someone who I will miss after a few days or not talking to them. That's how I know
I am close to them. :)

Kamya is one of those people. *hugs Kamya*

blackhole said:
i'm confused.

by "close friend", do you mean romantic interest?

You confused, because I'm confusing :)

no not at all, I didn't mean 'romantic interest'. Maybe I should have said a 'special' friend rather

rivermaze said:
no not at all, I didn't mean 'romantic interest'. Maybe I should have said a 'special' friend rather

"special" friend would have been even more confusing.

you mean a good friend. :D

i've got to admit, i've never "spoken about my expectations" with a good friend.

what is there to discuss? what expectations?

blackhole said:
"special" friend would have been even more confusing.

you mean a good friend. :D

i've got to admit, i've never "spoken about my expectations" with a good friend.

what is there to discuss? what expectations?

now I feel lost in English totally lol

Let me say it differently. What makes your friend a good friend?

If I can share both the good and bad with someone and they don't get spooked off...that makes them special right away.
Otherwise, I don't have many expectations.

MountainGhost said:
If I can share both the good and bad with someone and they don't get spooked off...that makes them special right away.

they don't get spooked off so easily. i can assure you :) some are fearless and thankful. i'm glad to hear from you, mountainghost

I have many friends but most only on a superficial level. I have 3-4 close friends who I consider like sisters. I know they're there for me and I'm there for them.
But it's taken years (as in at least a decade) to develop that trust and bond, it didn't just happen overnight.

Teresa

I don't really expect anything from my close friends. I find there's something interesting about everyone so I just take people the way they are.

But on a more practical note: I enjoy the company of polite people with a sense of 'humour' (or, something that corresponds to what I define as 'humour') and an adventurous spirit.

Teresa, I hope you wrong about a decade ;) but I can agree that friendship to develop needs a lot of time.

Peter, the idea of finding something interesting in everyone is close to me, but I tend to forget it, so I'm happy for remainder :)

a sense of humour and an adventurous spirit - great :) I'm lacking of both a bit lastly :(

Thank you both.

MountainGhost said:

I like this thought a lot, and I think I know what you mean :)
Thanks ;)

Latest posts

Back