When to ask the lady out

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SocratesX said:
I find it interesting that the mods are encouraging OP to play games with this girl. I get chastised for promoting such an idea.

Mods? I don't recall giving any advice at all in this thread.

I dont think that say manners count is considered "giving advice" either.
Maybe you should learn not to antagonize the mods on this site, btw.

:club:

EveWasFramed said:
To those of you who think good manners and being polite don't count...
You couldn't be MORE wrong. I swear...some of the stuff I've seen on this thread makes me want to pull my hair out. Geez.
Stop pulling your hair out. If it looks anything like your avatar, it's much too pretty to be pulled. :D

I agree with you, but there are some women who prefer bad boys to nice guys. This isn't to say that a bad boy can't be polite, but I have known women who do make such distinctions.

It is possible to be too polite, as well. Some of the women I work with had dinner together at a local restaurant. The only man in attendence was one's fiance. He pulled everyone's chair out and cut his future wife's steak for her. The other women said it was a bit much.

ChiCowboy said:
It is possible to be too polite, as well. Some of the women I work with had dinner together at a local restaurant. The only man in attendence was one's fiance. He pulled everyone's chair out and cut his future wife's steak for her. The other women said it was a bit much.

I said manners, not a creeper. :p lol

SocratesX said:
I find it interesting that the mods are encouraging OP to play games with this girl. I get chastised for promoting such an idea.

EveWasFramed said:
Mods? I don't recall giving any advice at all in this thread.

I don't believe that i have given any advice either. I don't know what he is talking about.

SocratesX said:

When did I suggest playing a game with anyone? Unless she plays Blops, I'm not suggesting any game play. Sorry that you don't know the difference between being nice to someone and being a total ******.

Do not try to implement advice from the lonely false romantic gals and guys of this forum. Social value and sub-communication are very real. Everyone has a narrative they send to other people that others pick up and act upon. They want you to sub communicate that you are the nice guy/chump, since it would benefit them to meet such a chump to dump on. They also probably have seen too many movies where in the beginning a guy meets a girl and falls for her with the same crap thinking you are displaying thinking she is rare, scarce, "the one". In the middle the guy courts the girl who is not interested in his pathetic over-reaching, instead going with the sociable cool guy who has other options and is manipulative, and by the end, the girl finally realizes the nice guy and they get together. But that is just movies, in real life if you communicate such a message you will just be a friend or ignored as she goes for a guy that communicates he is a cool, a good time to be around and that he has other options. If you go out and not focus solely on this imagined "the one" at New Years and come back to her sitting at the bar, with other women at hand already enjoying your company, she will only want you more. Because other women liking you, only increases your social proof. People often want what they cannot have, there is no reason to chase or pine for the easy to get item always by their fingertip. That is a person you can abuse long and often, then come back to, since they don't have other options.

Sure, he'd want to be nice. Why be a jackass to someone? Thrasymachus, if you have a problem, you need to sort it out, and then come back and post. I'd rather take advice from someone who's happy-go-lucky than to even begin to listen to someone who's so angry towards life. I'd rather be buried in sugar, than to even have a little taste of anything bitter.

Do you think it is healthy what you see going on in this forum everyday? The OP, thread-starter said he barely met a women once, but he thinks she is "the one". Far as he described it, this guy has no firm commitment to see her again, no phone number, but she said she would be at the same bar at New Year's. To halfway sociable women that are halfway attractive, that is nothing, it is easy for them to meet guys if they are ever inclined. I doubt she is telling her friends or writing threads about him. And what do you people do? Encourage him to further put this barely known women on a pedestal like he has to win her over with drinks and the gentlemen/nice-guy routine, sub-communicating too much passivity and neediness.

Infact I see this pattern too much on this forum, unhealthy toxic people giving each other bad advice. If you see yourself as happy go lucky you have problems. Me, I'll stick with monitoring and modeling advice on the real world, not the unrealistic zeitgeist people like you concoct.

Thrasymachus said:
... And what do you people do? Encourage him to further put this barely known women on a pedestal....

As i read it he had spend an evening with a young lady and they both enjoyed themselves. He was wondering about asking her out. Some encouraged him to do so.

How that is telling him to put her on a pedestal beats me.

Thrasymachus said:
Do not try to implement advice from the lonely false romantic gals and guys of this forum. Social value and sub-communication are very real. Everyone has a narrative they send to other people that others pick up and act upon. They want you to sub communicate that you are the nice guy/chump, since it would benefit them to meet such a chump to dump on. They also probably have seen too many movies where in the beginning a guy meets a girl and falls for her with the same crap thinking you are displaying thinking she is rare, scarce, "the one". In the middle the guy courts the girl who is not interested in his pathetic over-reaching, instead going with the sociable cool guy who has other options and is manipulative, and by the end, the girl finally realizes the nice guy and they get together. But that is just movies, in real life if you communicate such a message you will just be a friend or ignored as she goes for a guy that communicates he is a cool, a good time to be around and that he has other options. If you go out and not focus solely on this imagined "the one" at New Years and come back to her sitting at the bar, with other women at hand already enjoying your company, she will only want you more. Because other women liking you, only increases your social proof. People often want what they cannot have, there is no reason to chase or pine for the easy to get item always by their fingertip. That is a person you can abuse long and often, then come back to, since they don't have other options.
I had to go back and reread the first post...nope...I'm not crazy.

You got all this from the OP? Seriously. Where on earth are you getting this stuff? Do you view all women as dope whores? (That's a metaphor, in case you didn't get it.) The guy met a girl he likes, and wants some advice. Simple enough. From what I've read, everyone has chimed in with excellent ideas. All you're doing is trying to scare him off. Bad advice.

Pay no attention to him, neejau. Thrasymachus may be armed with psychology textbooks, but those are for psychology students, not someone who simply wants advice. The-alchemist is correct in post #9. You don't want to appear needy, but you don't have to be a jerk to win a lady. Women respect a man who is in control, both of the situation and of himself. This means you should buy her a drink. Buy her dinner. Make the decisions yourself. Tell her where you two are going and what you're going to do that night. Then do it. She wants to be swept off her feet, not looking at her phone wondering why you haven't called. What Thrasymachus is describing is nothing more than psychological masterbation. It'll get you nowhere.

Now, there's a fine line to be drawn here. Thrasymachus is correct about one thing. There are plenty of users out there. The trick is in recognizing such a person. Some are quite easy to detect while others are next to impossible. Some women are "professional" users. They are very, very good at what they do. Every situation is different, and there are no hard and fast answers. If you feel comfortable with this girl and confident in your radar, just let it flow. If you have any doubts, however, my advice is to learn as much as you can about her before stepping too far. Do you have mutual friends? You say you met her in a bar. Do you frequent the bar? It can be quite delicate inquiring about someone's character, but the key is finding someone you trust. This confidante doesn't need to be a lifelong friend; just be pleasant, nonchalant and honest. Even those who don't know you extrememly well should be helpful without becoming alarmed. We understand. Especially those of us who frequent watering holes. Above all, trust your instincts.

I suggested dinner and dancing for a specific reason. I said seafood and slow blues for a reason as well. Seafood isn't necessary, but it is suggestive. This is where you let her choose. You want to feed her food that she enjoys, but you should choose the restaurant. I don't know your musical tastes, but anything that you can slow dance to will suffice. Dance with her. Get close. Touch her. If she balks, don't give up, but don't be pushy. Talk to her. Ask her why. If she's self-conscious, assure her that you find her to be [insert honest feelings]. Try again. You don't have to follow this plan as a first date, and it may not be a good idea as a first date, but sooner or later you'll need to make a physical connection. It can happen anywhere, at any time. Women love romance, but they also like playfulness and spontaneity. She'll let you know what's on her mind, but don't rely on verbal cues alone. Eye contact, eye contact, eye contact.

Stay calm and relaxed. Women don't like jerks. They like a man who is in control.

Minus said:
As i read it he had spend an evening with a young lady and they both enjoyed themselves. ...

Try being realistic once, they are both not here. He already has big plans for her, yet if we talked to her she could very well barely be able to describe him since women can often meet suitors easily if they are inclined(not shy).

Thrasymachus said:
Try being realistic once, they are both not here. He already has big plans for her, yet if we talked to her she could very well barely be able to describe him since women can often meet suitors easily if they are inclined(not shy).
Are these so inclined women each meeting the same man? You might want to set the DVR to the reality channel yourself, Thrasy. It does take two to tango, you know. :rolleyes2:

We each come here for our own reasons. Not all of us are shy. We're not all social outcasts. I'd venture to guess that we're not all lonely, either. We are human, and many of us are, or have been hurting. The absolute worst thing you can do to someone in pain is to tell him what he fears he might be (Not that neejau expressed any such fears. You're stabbing in the dark.) It's cruel, and it only serves to (falsely) ingrain these insecurities into one's head, sometimes to point of feeling terrorized. Telling someone he's a loser is cowardly, especially when he hasn't even indicated he feels like one. Neejau brought a girl home from a bar. He's obviously got something going on in the confidence department. All he wants are some ideas on what to do next. Dude, stop already. K?

Well guys this has turned into a bit more then just an advice topic, but to keep you guys posted: I do have her number actually and yesterday she asked me if I wanted to come over and watch a soccer game with her today. She's plays soccer herself and there are some soccer matches nearby for all public to watch (event is the whole day). But I just woke up and will leave to the game in hour or 2.
And don't worry. I won't play games with her (yet I agree that buying a drink clearly is not playing a game), or do that social value thingy someone said. I'll be myself no doubt about that ;).
I'll keep you up-to-date!

Minus said:
As i read it he had spend an evening with a young lady and they both enjoyed themselves. ...

Thrasymachus said:

I see and you twist that into a claim of the people here encouraging him to put her on a pedestal?

ChiCowboy said:
You got all this from the OP? Seriously. Where on earth are you getting this stuff?

That is just what i was wondering. Seems to be a whole lot of wild guessing and attempts at mind reading on Thrasymachus part.

Right on dude..as I said she'll make excuses for u to see her if shes interested...Your job is to not fresia it up.lol
when she touch u ..touch her back
Go with the flow..be in the moment with her. Just have fun with her.
Kiss her whatever u do...This takes u out of the friendzone.
Women loves to make out. Women loves romance. Its ultimately up to her if shes going to have sex with u.
Itll come naturally..so dont trip
So dont be asking her or talk about it or get into discussions about relationships...
Just act as if shes ur GF already as if you been with her all ur life...
Its your turn to invite her the next time...REPORE...back N forth..back N forth. Build a relationship with her.
Enjoy the experince and Journey. Its not all about just geting laid or sex.
U already know ur going to get laid..so dont trip..just relax.

Nejau I hope things go well with you. Maybe you could play some soccer with her sometime for fun. (if its not too cold out) :)

neejau said:
Well guys this has turned into a bit more then just an advice topic, but to keep you guys posted: I do have her number actually and yesterday she asked me if I wanted to come over and watch a soccer game with her today. She's plays soccer herself and there are some soccer matches nearby for all public to watch (event is the whole day). But I just woke up and will leave to the game in hour or 2.
And don't worry. I won't play games with her (yet I agree that buying a drink clearly is not playing a game), or do that social value thingy someone said. I'll be myself no doubt about that ;).
Perfect. Sounds like you're doing just fine. Have fun.

neejau said:

Excellent! Really really glad to hear it's going so well!
From the sound of it - being yourself is working just fine and it sounds she likes what she sees!
Have fun and good luck!! :)

Latest posts

Back