Who has a shorter "shelf life" in music?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sci-Fi

Watcher
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Women or Men?

There was an article I read where someone slammed Adele (not a fan of her's btw) saying her career will be short because women have a short self life in music. That got me thinking...what? There are several female solo artists out there who still remain prominent in music or have been for years. Now when it comes to female groups they tend to fade fast. En Vogue, Spice Girls, Destiny's Child (lol). Male solo singers don't last, they seem to fade away as quickly as girl groups do. But male bands tend to stick around for awhile (including boy bands which have more staying power than girl groups). Some just won't go away no matter how old they get.

When I think of solo acts that are still active in music (or try to be) more women come to mind than men.

Solo - Women
Groups - Male

Male solo singers don't last?

lol

What about: Michael Jackson, Davind Bowie, Craig David, Elton John, Engelbert Humperdinck, Tom Jones, Eros Ramazotti, Umberto Tozzi, Justin (Timberlake/Bieber), Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Barry Manilow, James Blunt, Seal, Elvis Presley ...

Then there's people like Bruce Springsteen, Steve Winwood, Paul McCartney, Sting, Huey Lewis, Ronan Keating, Morrissey, Tom Petty, Frank Zappa, Prince, ...

I admit, quite a few of those are dead, but we still listen to them and they still manage to sell albums. Honestly, I have an easier time listing (successful) male solo singers than female their female counterparts.

Edit: lol, I forgot Bob Dylan! I'm also counting things like 'Owl City' as male solo artists.
Edit: Just realised I forgot Bryan Adams, Tom Waits, Billy Joel, Joe Cocker, Peter Gabriel.

Yeah a lot of those are dead and some haven't made a new album in years nor rarely ever perform anymore. I wouldn't include Justin Bieber in there, he's still new, we'll see what happens to him in a few years. Some of those guys you've listed were also in bands so they carried on their success into solo from that.

Guess I should have mentioned that I'm talking about the last 20 years too, not 30+ years ago. People had a longer "shelf life" years ago than they do now.

Well, you did say male 'solo acts' that are still active. A lot of those artists still perform (like Phil Collins, Paul Simon, Michael Bolton, Santana, who I forgot aswell), and when you talk about 'solo acts' you could include the numerous dj's (Tiesto, Van Buuren, Atb, Paul van Dyk, David Guetta, ...).

More recent solo performers: Mika, Chris Brown, Jason Derulo, Eric Saade, Usher, Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, Timbaland, Owl City, Josh Grobin, John Mayer, Flo Rida, Jack Johnson, Craig David, Lenny Kravitz, Richard Thompson, Jackson Browne, Elvis Costello, Dima Bilan ...

I know that Rihanna and Lady Gaga mostly hog the spotlight now, but a lot of those female solo artists started in a band aswell (Beyonce and Destiny's Child?). I also honestly think that the ones I listed above are all artists that started solo and have been going strong for quite a few years now with a solid, steady fanbase, but correct me if I'm wrong guys (and girls)!

I was talking about SINGERS hence the mention of Adele. Some of those people you mention are still new to music and really haven't had much in the way of hits. Plus a few of those I've never heard of, so...yeah. I'm talking about those who've actually had multiple hit records and produced more than 2 albums in their career. Let's see what happens to them in a few years

You may as well add William Hung to your list. He had a HUGE fan base that garnered him lots of popularity even today he's still mentioned in media. I'm not talking about them.

Forget it though, though I would try to discuss current events for a change of pace. I just though it was absurd for this guy to say women have a shorter shelf life not a debate.

A lot of people have told me they simply don't enjoy the singing voices of women as much as the voices of men. I think I probably agree. Looking back at all of the music that I've been a fan of, the singer is almost always a guy. There are a few exceptions though. (Tracy Chapman, Madonna, Nightwish)

To me there is a big difference in kinds of music.
Is it right to say someone is a solo singer when they have a team of writers and musicians behind them making their songs?(same goes for bands)
Some of the solo artists are only "big" because of marketing. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it just doesn't work for me (with some exceptions)
I do respect artists/bands that write their own music and lyrics. (doesn't mean I like them all)

Wouldn't know who scores better in shelf life.
There are always some artists/bands that stay around longer then others.
The ones that make their own music and play live instruments can keep playing their whole life (with or without making profit)
The ones that don't make their own music are very dependent on sales and if they go down, then their "team" dumps them I guess and it's over.

I think I've written that decent enough without bringing down the "music" that I don't like :)

I don't know what article you were reading, but I don't see how they can make that claim.

It doesn't seem to have much to do with gender, but more a musician's willingness to keep going in the business and change with it if needed.

Sci-Fi made a good point about "shelf-life" being shorter in general these days. Music changes more rapidly now and everyone's attention span is also much shorter than it was 50 years ago (or less). For example, I've already lost interest in writing this response. :(

Sci-Fi said:
I was talking about SINGERS hence the mention of Adele. Some of those people you mention are still new to music and really haven't had much in the way of hits. Plus a few of those I've never heard of, so...yeah. I'm talking about those who've actually had multiple hit records and produced more than 2 albums in their career. Let's see what happens to them in a few years

You may as well add William Hung to your list. He had a HUGE fan base that garnered him lots of popularity even today he's still mentioned in media. I'm not talking about them.

Forget it though, though I would try to discuss current events for a change of pace. I just though it was absurd for this guy to say women have a shorter shelf life not a debate.

Well, first of all I'm sorry if I upset you, it wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to have a debate, as I do agree that it's silly to state that women have a shorter life span as a solo artist than men, but at the same time I do think it's equally silly to claim that there aren't any great male solo artists/singers.

For instance, I think it's strange to say that you can compare William Hung to Dima Bilan. The former is an American idol winner (or performer, something like that) who barely scraped a record deal together, while the other has won 32 awards to date. Sure, a lot of people in the USA probably don't know him, but he's an absolute star in Eastern-Europe/the former USSR/some parts of the Middle-East and Asia. He's been dominating their local MTV awards, scored massive hits and won the Eurovision song contest. I think his name's relevant to the topic, as you never specified what makes or breaks a 'successful' solo artist.

Furthermore, I think it's unfair to claim that people like Lenny Kravitz, Jackson Browne, Enrique Iglesias and Ricky Martin e.g. haven't proven anything. I think they're well established male singers, that have always been solo artists and who have managed to score quite a few number one hits. How are they any different than a Gwen Stefani or a Joss Stone?

Amnesiac has a point when he says that today's society suffers from a lower attention span. We've evolved to a graphic, fast paced world, in which time is - more than ever - money. However, it's also the amount of singers and available songs that has caused (and simultaneously is the result of) an enormous revolution: we can see artists everywhere these days, while our parents and grandparents had to listen to records/the radio/local bands at balls/... This in turn means that there's a bigger market for singers/performers, which means there's more of them and more ways for them to distribute their music (outside of the traditional channels). This might make it seem like an artist has vanished off the face of the world, while in reality he's just happy with his fanbase and he has found different ways to distribute his songs.

Also, seeing as we are confronted with so many artists and so many songs on a daily basis, it's normal that people get tired more easily of a genre/sound and like to experiment with crossovers which in turn leads to new artists. On top of that there's the enormous competition between all these artists, which leads to them rushing out songs/albums to still the hunger of their fans (who have absolutely no more patience, seeing as their options are so broad) which in turn makes it very difficult to release a second album that receives the same amount of praise as the first did.

Lastly, we shouldn't forget that our artists are a product of the same society as we are. That's why they invest so much time and money in fancy (internet) clips, colourful outfits, genre crossovers, 'multidisciplinary behaviour' (singers that act and model?) and who have (as people in general have) become lazier and more aimed at instant commercial success and their five minutes of spotlight. A good example of this behaviour is the amount of modern day artists who claim they are their music (= 'it's not my music or lyrics that count, it's my world that does').

It's not about 'for love of the game' (music) anymore, but for the fame.

I don't think longevity is much of yard stick for quality though. Give me a band that releases one killer album and then implodes and goes down in flames before they have the time to spoil it and release a second album of mediocrity. Some of the artists mentioned should have had the plug pulled years ago!

I hope Lady Gaga is not still around in 15 years wearing a plant pot on her head..

I think it varies.

People wouldn't have suspected that Madonna would still be going, almost 30 years after she started.

Also, to throw a few female names out there: Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan. All been going strong for at least 20 years (and in the case of Joni, since 1967), and all are still releasing albums. Kate, Sarah, and Tori's new albums in particular are quite wonderful.

Speaking as a music lover and a follower, as well as creator, of music, the music industry has a way of eating you up if you don't play the game right. It has happened to some really talented people, and it has nothing to do with their talent...more with their ability to balance their songwriting and talent with the evils of the record companies. A big man with a cigar may not be the ideal image for a record executive anymore, but the outer image is the only thing that has changed about that.

And for the record, Peter Gabriel released a new album last year (2011.) So he's still releasing albums and touring.

And we have all these reality "talent" shows churning young people out faster than butter. Most vanish after their first album or two. Look at American Idol's track record, you don't want to win that show. You do better as a runner up.

LOL!!

You sound like Simon Cowel now. :D

Not to completely diss AI, I don't watch it much myself anymore since Simon left, but they have had a few mega successful people come out of it. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, just to name a few. Still though, yeah, some have been less successful with their music career. Clay Akin, Ruben Studdard, Taylor Hicks, Fantasia. There's more but I guess they are still trying with their "careers" like David Cooke, Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze, David Archuleta, Crystal Bowersox, all which you only hear 1 or 2 songs from.

There's a difference between musicians who started singing their original songs and have made it through hardwork between singers who started singing covers whom have made short impacts but would still have to go through the same ordeal in making an original break through the hit scene. John Mayer and Lenny Kravits are enough to prove your point wrong. As their music have been there in almost 2 or 3 decades already and both are still active up to this day. You may not see them on MTVs as much as you would with other new comers but they have solid fan base and proven names. Ironically, the great singers in my country are males soloists as well. So really, I don't think it follows that male soloist have shorter shelf span. It depends on what kind of music you are exposed to. Also, you've said musicians who are active within the 20 years, so calling the likes of Lenny Kravits and John Mayer as new comers on the music scene would be a bit...funny.

I'm not wrong, it's my opinion because of what I'm exposed to as you also pointed out. When I'm sitting here listening to the radio I hear a hell of a lot more female solo artists than male and they play music from the past 40 years. Most of the male singers are from bands.

floffyschneeman said:
Also, you've said musicians who are active within the 20 years, so calling the likes of Lenny Kravits and John Mayer as new comers on the music scene would be a bit...funny.

I NEVER called them current, do not put words into my mouth. I haven't been listing off people calling anyone current besides what others have mentioned like Justin Beiber. I never called Lenny Kravits or John Mayer new.

I never bashed male singers so I have no idea why some of you want to make it seem like I don't think they exist. I listen to a lot of male artist, who ironically are mostly GROUPS. I never made a list of female singers who've made it big ignoring men, I stayed away for that because I'm not talking about that, I could easily make a huge list of female singers who've made a mark on the music industry and sit here and claim I'm proving all you wrong. But I'm not debating on individual people, I'm talking about the music industry as a whole, I'm not sitting here accusing peoples opinions to be wrong.

Jeez, stop missing the point of my original post. I disagree with female singers having short shelf lives then male singers. I'm talking about what I AM exposed to not the rest of the freaking world. Every country has their own singers who burst on the scene and become huge in their area, I don't live there. I live in Canada, I listen to radio that plays music from huge world wide artist to one hit wonders.

Sci-Fi said:
Women or Men?

There was an article I read where someone slammed Adele (not a fan of her's btw) saying her career will be short because women have a short self life in music. That got me thinking...what? There are several female solo artists out there who still remain prominent in music or have been for years. Now when it comes to female groups they tend to fade fast. En Vogue, Spice Girls, Destiny's Child (lol). Male solo singers don't last, they seem to fade away as quickly as girl groups do. But male bands tend to stick around for awhile (including boy bands which have more staying power than girl groups). Some just won't go away no matter how old they get.

When I think of solo acts that are still active in music (or try to be) more women come to mind than men.

Solo - Women
Groups - Male

Sci-Fi said:

I am not putting words in your mouth, I am simply saying that there are a handful of male solo artists who have made names and are still making names in the music industry, as you have said that ''they don't last''. I've made my reply base on what you have said in the beginning of your thread, up to all your replies. I apologized if I said something hurting but I just think it's not so fair to say something about the ''the whole music industry'' and just base it on '' what you are exposed to''.

Well, I listen to a bunch of unknown (outside of underground) prog bands. I would take anything from Spock's Beard or Glass Hammer over Lenny Kravitz any day of the week...that being said, I do understand the appeal of those artists.

Latest posts

Back