Who is lonely in the UK?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi UK people!

I am from Sussex on the coast! I have had friends before and used to be quite social...life happens, no big dramas but due to moves/job changes/friendships fizzling out I find myself without a close friend/mates/a friendship group and have been dealing with this for about 3 years - it sucks and I HATE it so much!!!

I think the people I do know would be surprised at the lame one-person party that is my social life these days.

Nice to meet you all, it feels cathartic to shout it out online 😂

Hi. I'm a 50yr old woman & ive been single for about 7 years through choice up until now.I was bullied at school & my homelife was no better. My dad was an alcoholic & my mum had severe mental health problems & took her anger out on me & my brother.. I left school at 16 with no real education & met my future husband. He was quite controlling & took charge of everything. We were together for over 17yrs in which time we had a daughter. We split when i was 33 & i had a breakdown tried to kill myself & ended up in a mental hospital. The doctors put my depression down to alcohol & i was put in rehab. I was thrown out after 6 weeks for drinking. When i left i was homeless as my husband threatened to take my daughter if i came back. I had a relationship with a friend who was violent towards me then another who was also violent. He went to prison for attacking me with a pool cue. By now i was alcohol dependant & anorexic. I was in hospital detoxing when i found i was pregnant. I was also diagnosed with Bipolar & borderline personality disorder. I had my own flat by then & was with the father of my child so all seemed good. But then my partner came into some money so his drinking increased & the social services took our child. Our son was adopted & my partner had a stroke because of alcohol. I also had the neighbour from hell living below me for 8yrs. I stopped drinking a year ago & have found myself alone. My daughters grown up & my drinking friends dont come round anymore. I sometimes go days even weeks without speaking to another person

cumulus.james said:
Tell us about yourself. Why are you lonely? What are your hopes and dreams?

Well, Im lonely because I was slowly but surly over time dropped, used & mentally abused by people in authority like teachers, supervisors managers, My peers & My mistaken friends.  

My family is a cold emotionless family so I got not support or encouragement from them throughout my life. I think I was an embarrassment to them. It's the sort of family that bought you and each other gifts at certain times of the year through Duty rather than any real affection

School was traumatic and to top things off No girl/woman ever showed any interest relationship wise in me. 

Today Im a 57yo manchild to old to learn or to be showed any love/companionship, But cruelly still young enough to know the nightmare of this lonely existence may have 20-30years before its over.

And the last straw, I live with my 87yo mother in her rented house knowing that homelessness is just around the corner when she passes. As I have very limited temporary income.  I also have a slight disability/disfigurement that is not enough to get any help from anywhere. But obvious enough to have got the eww expression and crinkled nose from the vast majority of ladies I may have tried showing an interest in together with strange swivel eyed double take looks from the general public. So in a nutshell I'm damaged goods both internally and externally. It there any surprise I'm alone? I cant find anything to hope for at the moment. I learned many years ago the "Hope" was just a pacifier to blur the true inevitable outcome that was in store for me. I don't dream anymore even though I was often reminded of them when I thought someone was giving me a chance, until I realized and I heard the "In your dreams matey" chant.... At the moment I sit and vegetate at the computer with brief spells of housework cooking n cleaning. The highlight of my existence is a reluctant weekly grocery shop

Latest posts

Back