Why Are You Alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up socially awkward when it comes to romance. Part of it is the culture I grew up in, where dating and romance isn't heavily emphasized. I never put myself out there, and never felt that urge to do so like most people. Now that I finally started feeling it the last few years it's put me in a very big hole.

Because I'm "behind" what someone at my age is generally supposed to have experienced and accomplished, according to society's conventions.

I think I am very annoying and without meaning it I make people feel bad, in addiction to that I was always sickly so people would soon stop inviting me.

I am not really sure, but I think I am simply not that good at it. For most people it seems to be the most natural things to socialize, but I think that I have never learned it. Plus I am an introvert and a bit shy.

People dont get me and I dont get people, everyone seems to be playing some kind of game but none told me the rules.

It's not necessarily that I am unsuccessful at socializing, it's that I choose not to more often than not. When I do however, I often find that I get anxious sitting and talking about every day BS, drama, gossip, etc. In that sense, I guess you could say that I am not successful in a way.

So I'm alone because I choose to be, more or less. And even then I'm not because I live with other people. If I didn't though my social interaction would be significantly less. Despite that, I am still searching for that companion to "be alone with" as I put it.

Going to sound extremely arrogant but I simply cannot connect to people on an intellectual level. I don't care about sports, Miley Cyrus, gossip, etc. I pretty much have nothing in common with people my age (24) When I communicate with people I want to learn something useful or interesting and as part of that exchange I would love to give something useful or interesting in return otherwise the interaction isn't worth my time. I can rarely find a person who seeks the same thing, so, I'm alone.

I am alone because i am socially awkward and so I try too hard to be liked and understood and that drives people away. I always here, " just be yourself" or " if someone doesn't like you for yourself then they are not worth your time" etc. But the thing is, when I just be myself, people don't like me for me so i wind up alone. and when I try to fit in I wind up alone. I think those are sayings that people that are well liked use to try to cheer up people like me, not knowing that if it really worked that way then no one would be lonely and there would be no reason to try to cheer me up with such nonsense....

Not to be so negative, this has just been my life experience...

I generally don't give honeysuckle number one about what people my age these days talk about.

I am horrible at initiating conversations.
All my past relationships started with the girl making the first move
I don't have much in common with a lot of people around here
I had a girlfriend for 2.5 years who I asked to marry me and agreed and then left me for some other guy so I have become very cynical of anyone who shows interest in me now

Partly because I have no family, partly because I have Aspergers, and partly because I am yet to meet the right person.

Like Tiina63, I have aspergers. I would highlight that as the primary reason for my isolation.

My teachers in kindergarten taught me that I should always be by myself. Unfortunately it stuck.

im alone because I chose to.. for now I want to live a simple, slow-paced life, be who I am, make decisions on my own...and aside from that I just got tired of being around some hypocrites, fair-weather and social climber people.

rudechaos said:
im alone because I chose to.. for now I want to live a simple, slow-paced life, be who I am, make decisions on my own...and aside from that I just got tired of being around some hypocrites, fair-weather and social climber people.
+1

Boring-Weirdo said:
Why do you think you are unsuccessful at socializing?

I can socialize when it's necessary, but it's too much work, work im not willing to make when I can avoid it.

Latest posts

Back