Why Are You Alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extreme social phobia due to a very low self-esteem which started when I was a kid. My mother was an alcoholic. I was not physically abused but psychologically lots as you can imagine. I used to isolate myself more and more from people. Didn't want the rest to know this. When I was a teenager it became worse because physical appeareance issues. All those nasty things changed for good but I guess it's been too late to have a life. Now I feel that I am a ghost.

Because i'm an introvert. I'd love to socialize but with just one or two friends.

Cuz I'm a scumbag puke piece of honeysuckle...but at least it's better than being like everyone else

I moved away from my home city when I was 12, and for a number of reasons, never felt at home in the new place. I also was grieving a lot more than my family or old friends realized, and I wasnt strong enough to pull through with the same determination that I had as a kid. So 9 years of trying not to think by watching tv in all my spare time, instead of reading or finding anything that I liked... stunted my personality. I havent got many interests, so I havent got anything to say to people, and I have a really low self esteem because of having an unattractive face & awful hair, not to mention feeling pathetic about my lack of interests. Worst of all, I constantly kept wishing to be pretty, putting that ahead of any other interest, hoping that beauty would make people like me... but I never became beautiful, and now I have neither looks nor personality.

I hope it's not too late, but now I feel like there's too much I've missed out on to make culture new interests by reading or watching movies, so I just youtube my life away since that's the closest thing to social interaction I get.

Procrastination and a lack of effort on my part. I moved to another part of the country 8+ years or so ago, far from everyone I knew. In the years since, until recently, I used to think things would somehow work themselves out without me having to put a lot of effort in. D'oh.

I think I was too isolated as a kid. Nobody was helping me become social, every time I'd make a friend they'd leave, and all my guidance came negatively in the form of what not to do. I used my imagination a lot, those ideas became reflective, I never had the "normal" or "abnormal" adolescent experiences. I didn't have all my options laid out, I didn't know how much I could do for myself, I didn't know how to find things that mirror who I am without them defining me. I'm good at talking to people, even if the same attributes that people respect when we talk end up turning them away from me, I just forget how to every now and then. So, I guess, I'm dependent on myself being alone because that's how its always been. Which is contradictory to everything I want and know I can achieve in my life. I taught myself how to initiate conversation, how to make small talk, how to express myself and be an individual.

This honeysuckle is so serious to me that I don't care about it anymore.

All I can do is leave it behind me but that's impossible if there's nobody here for me because on my own I'll never be whole. There are a couple 'friends' I've made, in short supply mind you, but no compatibility or attraction and there's no way I could ever talk to them about this stuff. It's easier to be alone too, I have drive on my good days, but I need someone to give and take. I can be fine on my own, good even, but I don't get to use aspects of me that make me feel truly happy and that contrast weighs me down. In a lot of ways only these past four or five years can be considered my life and that was me just getting to this point and becoming an individual. Everything before was just wasted time and I hardly think about it. Despite everything I can't imagine finding someone who's interested in me. It changed my life when I found one person who was amazing and those situations I helped make special and rememberable are already only fond memories. I'm afraid the likelihood of something new could be sparse or might never happen. I've been single since July 2011 and I haven't been on a date since. And I'm not super unattractive or unapproachable.

I can socialize successfully, it's the friendships that get me. I'm terrible at connecting to people on a deeper level or maintaining social connections outside of class or work.

To be honest I think I'm not social outside of Forums cause I'm afraid I'll end up being hurt by others. Ever since I was abused through out my life, it's very hard for me to trust people. However I know this is my problem and I'm seeking therapy for it as of right now. Hopefully over time I'll end up getting better with socializing with others.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Because I'm so awesome, I haven't found the person to compliment me.

+1. Best answer I've seen to this post, and probably applies to a lot of those answering whether they know it or not!

I'm...sort of alone(for the time being)... because I am not particularly social. I don't really have much interest in small talk or much of what most people seem to talk about(politics, celebrities, gossip, sports, etc.) It is proving difficult to find a like minded person to be with, that also doesn't want kids and is in my area.

Everyone perceives me as boring and I don't share many common interests with others.

Huge social disparity resulting in huge chasm of ignorance resulting in wide gulf of understanding thus causing lengthy but awkward glances to be exchanged as it slowly dawns that neither party fully grasps the parity of the other's situation resulting in slow but albeit gradual death of the communicative norms colloquially known as an "awkward silence" as verbarge fails to transfer across the gulf of innormality the communicative ideologies and thus unstated intentions of either parties goals before much frustration boils so elegantly to the surface only to be passed off as polite communiques foiled and wrapped in social etiquette pretenses resulting and culminating in the inevitable registration that the attempt of the transaction has mostly finalised and has returned an error as the bank guarding the account of knowledge of the receiving party has declined on grounds that the hoardings are not found forthwith and thus there is no transaction of which to proceed with.

And thus one glances eagerly into their tablet admiring their own image in the sea of the book of faces oblivious to the world around them or the tan of which adorns their face that tangerines would have trouble competing with in a competition of colour, whereas the other resumes their overly idealistic ideologies theorising endlessly about an unassailable utopia devising strategic means of acquaintance and acquiry of said outcome knowing fruitlessly it is unachieveable in a world of grey.

Does this answer your question?

Because I'm my own worst enemy?
c1x.gif

I feel like I was cursed Good Luck Chuck style but without the sex. :D

thegreyman said:
Everyone perceives me as boring and I don't share many common interests with others.

You can either new find interests or you can find girls that share the same interests as you. Go to places like school(mostly specific classes) or places out in public that house things you like. If you have a pet take it outside and walk around with it.

EveWasFramed said:
Why Are You Alone?

Cuz I'm a dumbass.

I dunno Eve, there's something about this recent selfie you sent me that has me thinking it's something else....
osz8.jpg

Why Are You Alone?

A few reasons, but it boils down to this: I have things to achieve in this life. I don't always have the required energy to achieve them. And I have little patience for, & a visceral dislike of, humanity in general.

EveWasFramed said:
WildernessWildChild said:
EveWasFramed said:
Why Are You Alone?

Cuz I'm a dumbass.

I dunno Eve, there's something about this recent selfie you sent me that has me thinking it's something else....
osz8.jpg

You're right. It's those FUGLY shoes.

Ohhhhhh yaaaaaaahhhhh, didn't realize you had boots on :D

Latest posts

Back