Why are you alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I am alone because I always seem to shun away from group.I never was able to talk well in a group.It is like a fear that is saying,"They are not going to listen to you even if you will to talk."Till now,this fear stills resides in me.

I'm alone mainly because I lack confidence to meet people.Also because of past experiences.Since being little I made friends easily and I wasn't as shy but kids still seemed to use me.To hang out with me when there was nobody else to hang around with.The first real friend I made liked me because she saw herself as being slightly older and I didn't really disagree with anything she said.

I was never popular in high school but then again I never wanted to be.I hung out with both popular kids and mainly unpopular kids and absolutely hated school.I was shy so I got bullied and no matter what happened I never fought back.By the time I got into my late teens I felt that there was something wrong with me.Things at home weren't great-I've never been able to turn to my family for support because they've had their own problems.So dealing with everything myself made me feel alone.

Then I met my ex bf online and moved in with him.When I moved his family took a dislike to me (well not me really,they hated everyone)but I was an easy target and I took my ex's attention away from them.So they harrassed us for the whole 5 years we were together.we moved 3 times to get away from them and they followed us,put letters through the door, showed up at my work, threatened me.All my confidence went.I didn't leave the house for just over a year and it took me a good 5 years to go out by myself at all.Anyway we split up,I met my current bf and that has just been a real rollercoaster ride and I now have no confidence at all.

I find it hard to make friends because I work from home so I'm cut off from everyone.The people close to my age I never seem to have anything in common with.I have debt from my past relationship,I try to deal with everything on my own which i find practically impossible to do and that makes me depressed.Being depressed makes me drink and that makes me unfortunately spill anything i'm feeling to my parents or to people on facebook.I've luckily stopped doing that but needless to say when I did do it,it's made me more isolated because people just think I'm even more weird than they did before.

So I'm alone because while I want friends, I feel completely different to everyone else and I feel like I'm not really worth anything anymore.I'm 24,25 this year and I just feel so lost.

I'm awkward.

I either talk too fast and too much because I don't know what to say to people (esp. males) or I don't say anything at all and people see me as an enigma (which I'm not).

&&& I get annoyed with humans very easily.

Instead of clinical analysis / case history maybe I'll just think of it in the present tense.

I'm not entirely alone. I've got two best friend and my parents in my life. I do feel lonely.

Because I've always been lonely; once you get that stigma attached to you it seems to follow you everywhere.
Because I'm insecure, so when I try to force friendship to happen, it shows.
Because I don't care about the same things other people my age care about: Buying a house, getting married, having kids, God, sports, anything I'm missing?
Because I'm my late 20s and haven't paired off with anyone yet.
Because many of the things I've been through are hard for others to understand.
And because other people are selfish and aren't willing to make the first move, and for at least the last year or so I haven't been willing to either.

Good question!

I'm not sure. Maybe my shyness as a kid is to blame. I had friends as a kid, but they all disappeared one by one, started hanging out with different people ect. I was left out. I don't want to blame anyone. I spent too much time with the wrong people, when I could've spent time with nice people. People who didn't give a **** about me. My self-confidence was very low when I started high school. I knew no one, and all my attempts at talking to my classmates just ended in awkwardness, so I just took the role of the invisible kid. Three years of awkwardness. Obviously didn't make any friends there either.

Four years after high school I still don't have any friends. It sucks. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. I've gotten a lot better at talking to people though. Still, sometimes I can feel completely paralyzed when I could be talking to someone. Hate it

I'm alone due to self destruction. Even though I have tried to fix it, I have been in the self destructive mode for so long. I basically have forgotten how to be the person I once was.

I'm different.
I want to isolate myself from the society.
And I'm afraid to get too close to people. When I do so, I'm the one who end up getting hurt.

I've met a few people that have decided it was best to lie about too many things and just use me. I have done everything I could to help them, but in the end they were just selfish and looking to get their rocks off on putting me through a whirlwind of emotions. So now I really need to think things through if I get approached or have the chance to start a friendship or relationship. The absolute disgusting personalities that I have encountered has put me off for a while though.

About my friends in the past. I felt I was being held down. I have nothing in common with them and life was boring and repetitive. When I became severely depressed two years ago they did not try to help or even think about what was wrong with me. They just gained tension towards myself and I realized that in the end they were really not my friends.

I've doomed myself to be alone through my complex character. Can't seem to break the chain now as I'm finding myself more and more intimidated by the prospect of meeting people every day.

I'm too lazy to keep friendships alive.
I'm a very bad at conversation, I never know what to say, I'm silent by nature and I don't trust people easily.
My "life" is centered around my interests (which are not exactly "mainstream"..), I don't know (nor care) much outside of those.
I'm shy and often fearful of new situations, I'm intimidated by most people and I don't know why.
I'm easily stressed and I can't really tolerate other people for too long before I feel an urge to retire. The amount of company that is OK to me is definitely NOT OK to everyone else.
I've lived 10 years in complete isolation, and it certainly didn't help: my "social skills" are non existent.
For now I have a day job, a girlfriend, her friends and family, and a couple old friends of mine who are too busy to see me, and that's all.
I often work night shifts which make me feel out of the world, like now.

I guess I'm just I just think differently from most people at school. And I heard that people attract people who are like them. I'm a little skeptical of this because that would have to mean that no one at my school is like me (except one person I think)and the people I'm friends with don't seem to be like me. So I pretty much don't have any strong friendships right now.

I probably only communicatie about 98% of my thoughts to the ones around me, they honestly have no idea who I am. Why? Because I have chosen it. Why open up to people? People in general, are selfish, judgmental, superficial and shallow. I've told myself that I'm not missing out, but deep down, I feel as though I am...

My hypothesis of myself is, I had symptoms of childhood depression (yes its true), because of that I felt very down, weak, shy, and I thought people did not like me, and I didnt have alot of friends. All of that changed when I turned 13, where I met this awesome guy, me and him are best friends upto this day even six years later. My advice to someone would be, go try meeting anyone, even if you think you look desperate, just go and do it, it will change your life forever.

I realize I do it to myself. Self-sabotage.
Sometimes I notice it. I notice myself distancing myself from someone who is getting too close.
I develop friendships with people I cannot become "real" friends with.
Example| Every job I have had, I attached myself to people who were far older than me. They will get friendly and close but it will strictly be a work relationship. Little risk there.
People my own age, I shy away from.

I don't know how to change it.

sammy said:
Because I can't find the love of my life....

In my mind, if I were to find the love of my life, that would seal my happiness.
I imagine it would satisfy this gaping hole called loneliness.

But then again, this flies in the face of studies. My happiness probably wouldn't be nearly as positively life changing as I would think. The tricks the minds plays...

Latest posts

Back