Why Do We Need Another Person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tex Is Lost

Why do we need anyone? What about us screams out "Here I am? Acknowledge me! See me!" Why, when experience shows us the apparent futility of reaching out from the dark, do we still try?

Are we not worthy enough? Just by virtue of being another human being, do we not deserve to be known, loved, valued?

The heart weeps for another soul.

I don't think anyone truly wants to be alone all the time. I value my privacy and need time to myself of a regular basis, but I wouldn't want to always be alone. As for the reasons, I suppose it might differ from person to person. I think most everyone craves at least a certain amount of companionship.

*hugs texlost*

ya what it's what it was mine said

it's an evolutionary trait dawning back to the hunter gatherer societies,

we could not live alone, we most likely would have gotten eaten

I think the real question is what gives others the right to dictate who is worthy of love, attention, and value and who isn't.

One of my greatest wishes is to overcome the gnawing desire for friendship and companionship.

It's our natural instinct. We need a partner to reproduce, keep the species alive. We can't overcome millions of years of evolution. The need for a companion, someone to love, to trust, to feel safe with, is one of the most powerful/overwhelming urges we have.

When alone, we feel scared, lost. We want someone who's looking out for us. Someone who cares about us, who would want to protect us from harm. No one really cares about me, which makes me feel exposed to all the harsh realities of the world. We all just want someone looking out for us. The world is too scary to face alone.

I think our need to feel loved and care for comes from the lack of love for ourselves. I mean it is nice to feel loved, etc but it shouldn't be a need, and I'm talking about the spiritual side of us. If we focus on the physical aspect then the evolutionary thing makes sense. I hope I explained myself, writing is not my thing and add to that English is not my native tongue.

Luna said:
One of my greatest wishes is to overcome the gnawing desire for friendship and companionship.

Me too.

I wish I could just not care anymore.

Part of me thinks why bother, I just always have to say goodbye to them.

Luna said:

Paradoxically, I think the more you try to overcome the desire for friendship and companionship, the more it is going to gnaw at you and be at the forefront of your mind. I don't think it can be "overcome".
But I think this desire can be channeled so it's less of a problem. When I was feeling particularly lonely, around the time I joined ALL, and not feeling like I wanted to put myself out there on the dating scene, I took up the violin, because I like to play music. And it's changed my perspective on things and helped me in my misery. I stopped focusing so much on my loneliness.

Teresa

I read a book once that said alone is a state of being, and lonely is a state of mind. I spend most of my time alone. I find that when I spend more time around other people more, I crave it more, but when I am alone for a while, I start getting used to not having anyone around.

Tex Is Lost said:
Why do we need anyone? What about us screams out "Here I am? Acknowledge me! See me!" Why, when experience shows us the apparent futility of reaching out from the dark, do we still try?

Are we not worthy enough? Just by virtue of being another human being, do we not deserve to be known, loved, valued?

because deep down we all hope that we'll find that one person that will accept us completely for who we are, and share our deepest, most inner thoughts with.

i think we all are worthy to be loved, no matter who you are. but in a society that places a high emphasis onto physical looks, it's not as simple as it should be. The key is first loving yourself before you can receive love from anyone else. it's unfortunate to see the people that are most deserving of love usually the one's that don't get it often :/ sometimes we just need to be reminded by someone that we are worthy.

I've always envisioned a world where everyone shows unconditional love and acceptance to one another no matter the differences. A world where you are free to open up your feelings without being rejected or unapproved of. A world where you are just plain okay the way you are. a world where you don't need to wear a mask in order to gain acceptance,.. but there i go again living in my own dreams.. heh i guess that's what we create these internet forums for.

I need somebody else to make me laugh and keep me from eating my own face out of boredom or insanity. Simples.

Luna said:

You might kid yourself into believing that, but it's untrue. Everyone needs friends, we're social creatures.

Tex Is Lost said:

Here is my opinion on that question:

I guess it is to show our "inner selves". I always wanted a lover whom I can talk to about anything like my weird dreams, my strange violent urges, my fears, my hopes and well, you get my drift. Maybe I fear betrayal. I can talk about these things to my friends but when it is a lover or someone I like at least, somehow, it just feels different. I have already learnt that I am quite different from others so to find this "one person" who can understand and accept me is my fantasy.

Yeah, my answer would be acceptance. When you don't have to play any roles such as the filial child, the parent, the loyal friend... and when you are YOURSELF and that someone still loves you, I think that that is the best feeling in the world. We strive to achieve that seemingly illusive goal because we want that feeling of acceptance.

I think all humans have some percentage of masochism in them. :p

Society unfortunately has dictated what is worthy of being loved. It is no longer "I am human, I can be loved" but "I am handsome/pretty by media standards, I will be loved" kind of thing. Fortunately not everyone sees it in this way.

Well, here are my cents worth on this anyway. :)

Latest posts

Back