Why I'm shy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPlops

Reaction score
I have an eye problem, a muscle doesn't work right so it looks like I'm crossed off at times. Of course I've grown up with this and it's left me scarred for life. All through school, teased and taunted. Gradually as people mature, it's gotten less and less, but I'm sure this is because people have become sensible and no longer say what's on their mind as an act of kindness. Children say whatever they want because they don't understand feelings.

Anyway, this is the reason I'm shy. I don't talk to new people because I worry about what they will think. Because honestly, when I meet someone who has a physical ailment I think dude what the f is up with that guy. So if I think it about someone, others do too.

If I had money I'd pay for surgery to get it corrected in a heartbeat, unfortunately I don't.

I've even had comments directed to me from total strangers, like that guy on the train who called me lazy eyed larry. How cruel is that? People suck. What a cruel cruel world we live in.

*hugs mrplops*

I'm very sorry that people have been unkind, I have a speech impediment, that got me teased a lot in middle school,

and i was shy for quite some time, because I felt like I was doing everyone else a favor, like if I talked to someone, they would just want me to go way

I think a lot of it is, isn't who or what we are, but how we act, or how we present ourselves, you might think this problem with your eye makes you seem weird or unattractive, but that's not true, only because you think that way, I bet when someone get's to know won't even notice your eye or they'll think it's cool and attractive,

I use to think I sounded retarded when I talked
most of the people I would hang out with, get use to my speech impediment, they said they didn't even notice it anymore

I know it's hard to be confident and talk to people espically before you know them

but point being

you can do it!, be confident fake it till you make it!

and you're personality will shine through whatever, ailments you feel that you have

*hugs*

Hey, man. You and me, we're alot alike :) From what I read, we share a similar condition called Strabismus, or what some people call "Lazy eye". My left eye will turn in slightly if I've been reading or staring at a computer screen too long and the muscles become strained easily due to one set of muscles being underdeveloped and the rest of the muscles having to manage the extra load, if that makes sense. Luckly, my condition isn't really noticeable as long as my eyes are well rested, but it has still taken a MAJOR toll on my social life.

In high school, my eye problem was very rarely ever brought to my attention, but when it was, it would just destroy me inside. I remember this one time when a girl, whom I knew was attracted to me, saw me walk by on a day when my eyes were particularly strained and the eye turning in was pretty noticeable, I overheard her ask her friend "is he crosseyed?". After that, she never talked to me again and seemed to avoid me every chance she got :( I always avoided making eye contact with people after that day. I felt hideous.

I'm 25 now and it doesn't really bother me as much as it used to. I guess I just learned to accept it. I have heard about a treatment which uses botox to relax the muscles that are overly tense and pull your eye inwards, but it's probably a little out of my price range at the moment. Best of luck to you and remember, you're not alone.

There is a this guy at the gym that has this problem. I like him and I admire his zeal for working out.. I wouldlike to get to know him better and become his friend, nothing more, but all the time I try to take an interest in him he shys away. I really want him to feel accepted by others, I feel he is not happy and I do want to make him feel wanted. I guess I just have to keep trying

"If I had money I'd pay for surgery to get it corrected in a heartbeat, unfortunately I don't."

It can be fixed?
I'd say saving the money would be your first priority.
It's no guarantee that this would make you feel as good as you think it would,
(It's hard to undo a lifetime of being "different")
but based solely on your own comment, I think you should try it.

I have a defect as well, and it wasn't until I got out of high school that the comments died down.
Children can be cruel.

Best of luck to you.

There are many reasons people are shy. Physical attributes are just one aspect, I don't have anything 'odd' or different but I have always been treated like poo by others and I think 'what the hell is their problem?'. At least if I did have something obvious that everyone saw on my face then I'd know why they didn't like me.

Not that it would bother me, I used to know someone with a lazy eye and we were good friends while it lasted. I also knew someone else with a really bad stutter and he got bullied a lot at school but we were still best friends.

Kids CAN be cruel:(

You all have my sympathy, for what it's worth.

Yep, children just say things without thinking, teenagers are cruel to each other and adults just try to ignore it. I have a customer who's face was burned so his skin is all funky now, I get A LOT of customers missing fingers or more and some that might have been born a way like one guy who has one arm much shorter than the other. I do find it hard not to look sometimes or wonder what happened, but I don't ask because I don't know if that person is sensitive about it or not. I'm just a curious person. There are some people that I have come across who embrace their differences, it gives you character, sets you apart from everyone else, maybe not always in a good way. You either let it get you down or find a way to make it part of your life and make light of it. It's not fun being picked on, especially if it is because you aren't what society would call "normal".
If you got your eye fixed you might get more of a reaction out of people who know you then you do from complete strangers now. Someone wants to make a joke about your eye that just goes to show how immature and ignorant they are, they have yet to mature to the point where we have to accept people for their differences.

Latest posts

Back