Windows, MacOS, or Linux?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaningIntoTheMuse

Reaction score
I'm a fan of all three. Let the war begin!

First off, if it wasn't for iTunes, I'd ditch both and settle for Linux.

I have no need for MacOS and wouldn't use it just for spite. I don't like Apple or anything to do with them due to there business strategy. Steve Jobs was great. the rest of apple never was..

Linux -... does anyone still use Linux? I tried it a bit when I built a NAS at home, but ended up going with win8 instead due to the ease of connectability with the other pc's in the house with media sharing. and the fact that it just wasn't very user friendly imho.

Windows, to quote Steve Jobs, is the Mcdonalds of computer software. cheaply made, simple, pedestrian. full of the signs of an uncaring developer that has no concern for substance or style.

unfortunately, in our current state in time, Windows is still the clear winner and only true alternative for most people.

Some companies run on Linux servers. I know of a few that I have either worked at, or applied for the position.

The main problem I have with Linux is that it is easy as hell to screw up the installation. Mess with the terminal once, and you'll have to reinstall the whole OS. It's not that easy to screw up Windows or MacOS, although Windows fails more than Mac (which is why I love my Macbook more than my Windows 8.)

The plus side of Linux is...no viruses. Mac has a few viruses, but very few. Windows is literally infested with viruses, spyware, and malware.

I use Windoze for convenience, it just happens to be pre-installed on the **** machines when they come and am too lazy to do anything else.

I hate Apple and will not purchase from them again if I can help it. I once had a number of 3rd party gadgets, such as a plugin microphone, and something that let me play my ipod videos through my television. One day my Ipod got stolen and I had to get the next new model on the insurance. And found out all my 3rd party gadgets wouldn't work with the new stuff, Apple policy, screw people over who'd bought 3rd party gadgets by making them incompatible with new models, support said I would have to buy Apple versions of all the stuff I already had. I thought screw that.

So I stopped buying from Itunes as soon as Amazon provided a viable alternative, and when I recently needed to replace my old feature phone with a smartphone, an iPhone was certainly out of the question so I got a Sony.

I also utterly hate Itunes with a passion, when my current Ipod finally goes I will be looking for a decent alternative as I certainly won't buy from Apple again after they pulled that trick on me!

I've tinkered a little with Mac and Linux, but I'll keep Windows. That's probably because I'm too lazy and impatient to learn a new OS. :p
Of course...you're looking at someone who likes DOS. :p lol

DOS is awesome. :)

I guess I just like the prettiness of Mac. It's the same with iPhone vs. Android. The Apple version is just prettier than the open source.

That being said, Linux is like scraping the bottom of the barrel for compatibility. Most of what you run on Mac and Windows will not run on Linux, but everything that runs on Linux will run on Mac and Windows.

EveWasFramed said:
Of course...you're looking at someone who likes DOS.

Yeah, DOS, CP/M, (DEC) RSX-11.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Some companies run on Linux servers. I know of a few that I have either worked at, or applied for the position.

The main problem I have with Linux is that it is easy as hell to screw up the installation. Mess with the terminal once, and you'll have to reinstall the whole OS. It's not that easy to screw up Windows or MacOS, although Windows fails more than Mac (which is why I love my Macbook more than my Windows 8.)

The plus side of Linux is...no viruses. Mac has a few viruses, but very few. Windows is literally infested with viruses, spyware, and malware.

MOST servers run with Linux because of it's stability and diverse coverage of preferences, function of hardware/software and is highly configurable. This all depends on what the person wants, Linux is much more user friendly than it once was, people would fear the DOS like commands and complicated (aka "different") syntax for most things. Linux is what I call a "bare" OS, what I mean by that is that it runs so much more efficient than Mac or Windows, and actually gets more out of your hardware at the same time, IMO. The problem with Linux lies with the masses, it always goes the same way; if you were a game designer which console would you make games for? The answer would be whichever one people used more, this is true for Linux, Windows is much more commercialized and comes as standard on most laptops, PCs, tablets and phones. Yes, Linux doesn't have many 'viruses' or vulnerabilities, but this is because in most cases people use Linux to create these things because of the variety of tools available, also any problems or vulnerabilities can easily be found and even fixed due to it being open source, in fact, you could practically do anything with Linux if you put your mind to it and have the skill, the same cannot be said for Windows or Mac OS.

Unfortunately for me I've always been around Windows, I have used Linux, and still do, sometimes, but I'll always be with Windows. I know it so well, I program for it, and it's not too bad. There are many things I still don't like about it, though. They make things too complicated on Windows, there are too many things depending on other things in order to function; everything is written so nitty-gritty and awkward. You only have to take a look around MSDN to notice how things are written or function to see how they make the simplest of things complicated, and unfortunately this is how Windows is, I kinda think they do this on purpose, though, so it cannot (or is very difficult) to reverse engineer their software. Another thing I don't like about Windows (and is the reason it's so 'successful' with the masses) is the sheer volume of wizards. I remember when XP first come on the scene and it was branded 'Wizards paradise', or something, which isn't surprising; I dunno about you but I like to manually configure things myself, I like to know how something's set up or installed and these stupid wizards are an annoying part of Windows. I think there should be some soft of 'Advanced mode' you could enable so it wouldn't use these things; of course there would probably be a wizard for that sort of thing. Although Windows has much success getting round, it's targeted a lot by all kinds of malicious softwares because of this. This isn't so much a problem for me, or anybody else who knows what to look for, but I honestly believe that you only need to know very few basic things in order to be aware - ironically the things that don't have wizards or are easy to get access to.

I'd like to say stuff about Mac OS but this is the least of the OS's I've experienced, and what little I have of that isn't very good at all. Mainly because they were iMacs at the time (Yes, THAT long ago) and apparently 'muli-media machines'. Though in my case they weren't 'multi-ing' anything, because the way iMacs worked was that the RAM in those machines worked with DMA (Direct Memory Access) which was hideously flawed, it would either freeze or just randomly close things that caused memory violations. There's also a load of little things I don't like about Macs, but they all add up. I'm sure Macs are much better these days, although they spend a little too much time on the looks of the thing IMO, I remember reading Steve Job's autobiography and he was one of those annoying arrogant perfectionists, and he ordered that all his electronics in his devices (Macs at the time) be appealing to the eye, so all the chips on the boards were in line and all wires carefully routed round hardware so you wouldn't see them - as he hated wires and buttons, you know, the things that actually work the devices? Of course all this caused massive engineering problems, but he didn't care about that.

Wow... I seriously rambled on there, well that's my 2p anyway.

From my experience with Macs (and this is very little experience, because I've only had this Macbook for three months) is that it is a lot more customizable than it used to be. I remember using a Mac for the first time in 2009, and it was completely different from the current setup. Even Mavericks build is a lot more user friendly and customizable than Mountain Lion (the 2012 version.) And I think they've changed the setup, so now you can install your own graphics cards and replace the screens and replace the battery, etc. Although you need to know how to open a Mac, because it's different than PCs.

Linux, I have nothing bad to say about it, except I run all of my media through iTunes on both of my computers, and I can't use the iCloud or anything Apple on Linux. That is the only fault I had with it; everything else worked well.

Windows...well, I've used Windows since 1995, and I'm very experienced with it, but I have to say that they've been in a downward spiral since XP. XP was the best, Vista was worse, 7 was worse than Vista, and 8 or 8.1 is a nightmare. It makes me want to throw out my PC and just use Macs, to be honest, and if I didn't have to code Windows programs, I would. My mom loves Windows 8, thinks it's the best thing ever, but I ******* hate it.

There is my rant, lol.

I've been using the many versions of Windows my entire life, because I was hooked into Win3.1 sometime around the early 90s when PCs were so complicated back then. I was also a DOS geek when I played ZZT games back in the day before DOSbox emulation on modern PCs.
Now I use Windows 7 for my main PC with SD Card reader built in and BD Burner.

I've been using Windows since the early 1990s and OSX since the early 2000s. For the past ten years I've always had both a Mac and a PC for various reasons. when I first used OSX I really felt that it blew windows XP out of the water in terms of speed, design and looks. Not to mention that the design and functionality of the hardware itself was amazing. Vista didn't help Windows' case much, but with 7 I thought that Windows had finally arrived. It was fast and reliable, the Windows I had been waiting for. It made me switch my main machine from a Mac running Slow Leopard to a Windows 7 PC. I feel that 8 is a disappointment for the most part, even when I've used it on tablets. I use it exclusively in desktop mode on my laptop, where the only difference I really notice from Windows 7 is the annoying lack of a start menu (which can be remedied, but requires a third party app - a step backwards imo). OSX has remained quite steady along the years, and at this juncture I would say that I prefer it to Windows 8.1 in terms of the OS itself. I love Mission Control (what used to be Exposé). I love spotlight, I like the better integration of key commands for everything, and I also like the language input interface more. I've played around with about 10 Linux distros in the past, but never settled on using it consistently. It's fast and customizable, but doesn't natively support the software I like to use.

I think the main advantages to Windows is the breadth of software, hardware and peripherals compatible with it. I found that even with cross platform software, the Windows versions often get more functionality than the Mac and Linux versions. The main advantages to Macs for me are the reliable functionality, the seamless integration of software and hardware, and amazing hardware in terms of design. A disadvantage would be cost, but in recent years Macs have become slightly more competitively priced in some market segments. In summation, I like them all so don't make me choose :p

Well everyone always brings up mistakes from Microsoft, like win ME and Vista being the main ones, ME & Vista were similar in their development, ME was rushed for 2000 and Vista was also rushed... plus Vista it was a new project that was split into many different sectors, what was happening is that it was a disaster of communication and they ended up with apprentices having their own part to do - the end result was a new OS with inefficiency, memory leaks and barely tested. I remember SideBar.exe being a bad one, not sure who the hell programmed that but it would end up accumulating around 80mb a week, other services would also crash or get stuck in infinite loops.

Windows 7 is about the best OS out now, Windows 8 was always designed more for where the electronic market was heading; tablets and phones. I think 8 is pretty good, I love the speed, but it just isn't specialized for Laptops or Desktop computers, and because of this there's many little things which makes the functionality on either of those frustrating. The lack of a Start Menu it one of the main complaints by people who used it on 'proper' computers which is why they introduced 8.1, this also comes with other tweaks people complained about lack of.

Muse, the reason (all) Apple products are different than PC's inside is because they've been purposely designed that. They do not want you upgrading, changing or modifying ANYTHING in their products, they have always been like this and it's how they earn their money. This is why I don't particularly like Apple.

TheWalkingDead said:
Actually BASIC on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum was the best thing ever now I come to think of it!

10 PRINT "I agree with this statement"
20 GOTO 10

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd.

Latest posts

Back