Would you date an Asian man?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intranetusa said:
VanillaCreme said:
Intranetusa said:
Interesting stories.

mintymint said:
I don't think I would be comfortable dating an Asian man, but I'm not quite sure why.
Probably no physical attraction?

Lol, if you knew Minty, this would make total sense to you.

lol why? Give me a hint. :p

He is the Asian man.

Intranetusa said:
fortasse said:
Intranetusa said:
But also the "are you physically attracted people of ____" issue is very important.
Why?

Because physical attraction is important?
Okay. Your statement made it seem like physical attraction was some sort of exceedingly important thing for some mysterious reason that you did not feel inclined to post, so I was curious. lol

Personally, I'm not particularly physically attracted to South Asia men. I did have a crush on an Indian boy in 6th grade though, so I'm sure that is a preference I could easily overcome if I met the right South Asian man. And it really depends on each individual man, anyways.

I really like the looks of east and south-east Asian men. I also like the Americanized version of their food. Well, based on the Filipino food I've had at friends' houses, I like that too, and it wasn't Americanized. I must say, I strongly prefer Filipino menudo to Mexican menudo.

I don't know about my preference on Western Asian men. I wouldn't mind dating a (Jewish) Israeli.

As far as stereotypes of Asian men go in general, yes I would prefer the nerd Asian. That is only because I like smart men though. No matter the race or ethnicity, I like intellectual nerds.

I would not want to be with an excessively domineering man, but I imagine if I was with an Asian guy, he'd be Asian-American, so he'd probably not be the stereotypical domineering sort. Unless he was raised in a very ethnic home that instilled that sort of ideology in him. In which case, he would probably want to date a girl of his own race anyways, so it's a moot point.

fortasse said:
Okay. Your statement made it seem like physical attraction was some sort of exceedingly important thing for some mysterious reason that you did not feel inclined to post, so I was curious. lol

Personally, I'm not particularly physically attracted to South Asia men. I did have a crush on an Indian boy in 6th grade though, so I'm sure that is a preference I could easily overcome if I met the right South Asian man. And it really depends on each individual man, anyways.

I really like the looks of east and south-east Asian men. I also like the Americanized version of their food. Well, based on the Filipino food I've had at friends' houses, I like that too, and it wasn't Americanized. I must say, I strongly prefer Filipino menudo to Mexican menudo.

Hmm I see. What is your racial, ethnic and cultural background?

Intranetusa said:
Hmm I see. What is your racial, ethnic and cultural background?

racial: mulatto

ethnic: uhm... I'm not. I'm about as ethnic as a white country boy born and raised in the south. I'm just American.

cultural: that's a very broad question. There's the military culture I grew up with (Air Force brat). There's the Charismatic Christian culture I grew up with. There's the Southern culture I grew up with. The small Southern university culture. The Conservative culture. etc.

I would say my view of Asians mainly grew from the military culture, because I was exposed to so many different races and ethnicities (mainly Filipino in the Asian realm... military men like marrying Filipino women, or vice versa). People of every race join the USAF.

fortasse said:
racial: mulatto
ethnic: uhm... I'm not. I'm about as ethnic as a white country boy born and raised in the south. I'm just American.
I see.

Well by ethnic, I mean like Anglo-Saxon, Italian, etc

Wait, you're a guy? :p

Intranetusa said:
Well by ethnic, I mean like Anglo-Saxon, Italian, etc

Wait, you're a guy? :p

Oh. I've never thought of Anglo-Saxon as being an ethnicity before.

Nope. I said country boy because to me it conjures up an image of the exact opposite of ethnic.

When I think of ethnicity, I think of a community of people with their own culture and customs and special foods different than the standard of a particular country's norm.

So like in the US, it wouldn't be ethnic to be a person that eats hamburgers and hotdogs and watches baseball, because that is the stereotypical American culture. Being in an Italian community within America would be an ethnic community. However, if a person lives in Italy, it wouldn't be ethnic for them to eat pasta and speak Italian. That would be them being Italian. If I went to Italy to live on a USAF base, hung out with a group of Americans, we all spoke English, watched American shows, played American football, ate a thanksgiving meal, that would be ethnic in Italy. It would simply be American in America.

fortasse said:
Oh. I've never thought of Anglo-Saxon as being an ethnicity before.
When I think of ethnicity, I think of a community of people with their own culture and customs and special foods different than the standard of a particular country's norm.
So like in the US, it wouldn't be ethnic to be a person that eats hamburgers and hotdogs and watches baseball, because that is the stereotypical American culture. Being in an Italian community within America would be an ethnic community. However, if a person lives in Italy, it wouldn't be ethnic for them to eat pasta and speak Italian. That would be them being Italian. If I went to Italy to live on a USAF base, hung out with a group of Americans, we all spoke English, watched American shows, played American football, ate a thanksgiving meal, that would be ethnic in Italy. It would simply be American in America.

Well that's the thing. Being American is defined mostly by the Anglo-Saxon ethnicity and cultural identity - everybody else's culture is considered foreign and/or ethnic.

Native American and African American culture are both American cultures too, but American culture is traditionally stereotyped with Male Anglo-Saxon Protestant culture.

ie. Fortune cookies and chitlins, for example are considered 'ethnic' food - yet both were invented in the US. Apples pies were invented in Great Britain, yet is considered more American than either fortune cookies or chitlins.

So not necessarily the popular perception of the word 'ethnic' used in common speech, but the actual definition of 'ethnicity.'

fortasse said:
Nope. I said country boy because to me it conjures up an image of the exact opposite of ethnic.

I see. So you're mulatto but integrated mainstream American. ;)

Interesting stuff about your culture.

Intranetusa said:
Well that's the thing. Being American is defined mostly by the Anglo-Saxon ethnicity and cultural identity - everybody else's culture is considered foreign and/or ethnic.
because the men that founded this country were anglo-saxon. British culture was American culture in the original states, and it washed over into the rest of the country. When something new came in it would either be integrated into stereotypical American culture, or it'd be labeled as "ethnic."

ie. Fortune cookies and chitlins, for example are considered 'ethnic' food...
fortune cookies are my favorite American east Asian food! ...unless they're stale. Then they're gross.

I see. So you're mulatto but integrated mainstream American. ;)
Yep. and I watch... NASCAR *gasp*

fortasse said:
fortune cookies are my favorite American east Asian food! ...unless they're stale. Then they're gross.

Yep. and I watch... NASCAR *gasp*

Ever try chocolate fortune cookies?

And I think Nascar is only fashionable south of the Mason Dixon Line... :D

I'd date an Asian man and an Asian woman, but maybe not at the same time. :p
There are plenty of extremely sexy Asian guys.

Poueff said:
c16302d62fb4737c94ab02ec35f1ed9e1227329566_full.jpg

Wouldn't you?

I'm a straight guy,so I wouldn't,but that's me. You can't really generalize really. Honest here,there are ugly and beautifull people in every race,so race isn't the most important deal here.

I would.

Race does not bother me but were I attractive enough to be fussy I would go so far as to say I would choose someone of eastern origins over a white guy. Its the lips you see. They tend to have thicker and fuller lips, great for kissing and kissing is the best part about sex as far as im concearned. In the uk I dont think race tends to be an issue for women on the whole. They way the girls in essex are going all that matters is the size of your wallet.

i would date an asian guy. i'm a white female in the US. for awhile i went to a church that was predominately Korean and i had a major crush on a Korean-American guy. i don't have a strong preference about the ethnicity of guys i would date. btw, i've never had a boyfriend or even been on a date.

^ Yeah, afraid so. :p
I'm white, English, no preference on race. Gorgeous people come in all colours. <3

Yes but only if he was first a:
smart
interesting
funny
generous
level-headed
artistic
hard-working
open-minded
responsible
(keep adding to the list)
Individual first.
P.S. That goes for any race/nationality/ethnicity/socialization

I'm Korean, and I wouldn't date any Asian dudes. Probably because I'm a guy though. :)

Latest posts

Back