xmas

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate the holidays. These times are supposed to be spent with family and loved ones. When you have neither, it kind of gets you down. Last year I sat at home alone both days except for going to Waffle House for lunch.

I'm hoping to be able to travel somewhere over Thanksgiving and Christmas so at least I can be around other people. Maybe I can find some good last minute deals.

LonelyInAtl said:
I hate the holidays. These times are supposed to be spent with family and loved ones. When you have neither, it kind of gets you down. Last year I sat at home alone both days except for going to Waffle House for lunch.

I'm hoping to be able to travel somewhere over Thanksgiving and Christmas so at least I can be around other people. Maybe I can find some good last minute deals.

my last 2 xmas holidays have been crap, women trouble. So at least this one should be better. I don't think I will be going out much but that doesn't bother me these days !

LonelyInAtl said:

Since you're in the US, why don't you do volunteer/charity work on the holidays instead of being alone? A lot of organizations could use help for Thanksgiving and Christmas. A lot of kids won't have a Christmas, they may be either too poor or in the hospital. And a lot of elderly people are alone on both days. There's always a lot to be done.

And returning to the OP, I don't celebrate xmas so I'm indifferent.

Barbaloot said:
LonelyInAtl said:

Since you're in the US, why don't you do volunteer/charity work on the holidays instead of being alone? A lot of organizations could use help for Thanksgiving and Christmas. A lot of kids won't have a Christmas, they may be either too poor or in the hospital. And a lot of elderly people are alone on both days. There's always a lot to be done.

And returning to the OP, I don't celebrate xmas so I'm indifferent.

that is a great idea for lonelyInalt to do !

It will make his xmas worthwhile !

Every year since my divorce I go to WalMart and KMart a couple of days before Christmas and ask if there are any Bicycles that are on layaway which are about to be forfeited due to non-payment. I'll usually pay off a couple of them at each store. That's my Secret Santa routine. :)

Christmas is just another day to me, I mean yes there is the family table, which I appreciate of course, but other than that I'm Agnostic, so I don't really believe in Christian holidays. As for you, OP, I would suggest going for a long walk on that day, you'd be surprised of how many lonely people you would meet on the road, since non-lonely people will naturally be with their loved ones at home. I did it one year and met what would prove to be a good friend, so give it a shot if you want :D

I enjoy spending Christmas alone. I like to bake sugar cookies, brew coffee, and spend time wrapped up in a blanket watching old Christmas movies on Netflix or those reruns on abcFamily. I also consume half my body weight in candy canes. The cozy feeling you can only get from sitting in the warm glow of a roaring space heater is more than enough company for me on Christmas morning.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
I enjoy spending Christmas alone. I like to bake sugar cookies, brew coffee, and spend time wrapped up in a blanket watching old Christmas movies on Netflix or those reruns on abcFamily. I also consume half my body weight in candy canes. The cozy feeling you can only get from sitting in the warm glow of a roaring space heater is more than enough company for me on Christmas morning.

Rabbit, you've just earned a reputation boost for that, I will definitely try it this year, sounds like a good plan :)

I feel that sometimes just a little silence and solitude makes me appreciate the fall/winter holidays for the peaceful days of rest they're supposed to be. That, and I hate getting/giving gifts. People give shitty gifts and I am really, really cheap. So I have no problem going into peaceful, cozy seclusion during the holidays. Let me tell ya, a box of hot chocolate and a nice fuzzy quilt cost a whole lot less than some $200 stand mixer for your cousin. This year I plan to buy a cute snowman mug for my coffee, too. <3

I have to admit I'm not looking forward to it this year. My son will be with his dad, I don't want to go to my family as I don't get on with most of them and the past is difficult. I suspect I'll be on my own and have to try to make the best of it.

I never look forward to it. Family reunions I'd rather not attend, good food which I don't find to my liking, lots of presents which I don't want or need. I'd rather be ignored on this "special" day. Personally I'd prefer a regular day.

Doubt The Rabbit said:

I loved everything about this reply!

I'm not a fan of holidays so Christmas isn't really a big deal. One thing I do appreciate about Christmas is my family sitting around a table having a conversation.

I like Rabbit's idea. I'm alone this year for Xmas. The most I have to look forward to is to be able to message my son via messenger. He lives too far away to visit and I"m flat broke. I spent Xmas with my brother last year and he did nothing at all. It was very lonely and boring.

Am I the only one that enjoys Holidays/Christmas? I'm fortunate enough to have a large and great extended family so I always look forward to seeing them every year.

aribeth said:
I like Rabbit's idea. I'm alone this year for Xmas. The most I have to look forward to is to be able to message my son via messenger. He lives too far away to visit and I"m flat broke. I spent Xmas with my brother last year and he did nothing at all. It was very lonely and boring.

But you have someone who cares, which means a lot for those of us without anyone. For example, I had no one wish me a happy birthday this year. That just drove home how alone I am. It will be the same way for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

I'm spiritual rather than religious but still appreciate the sentiment behind Christmas. What I dislike is the falsity of it all - family who take no notice of me throughout the year other than to text me weather forecasts then suddenly buy me the world just because it's Christmas. It's not that I'm not grateful but it all feels so fake.

Yeah xmas brings out the most phony people ever next ******* funerals. I usually ignore most text messages around xmas because that's the only time I hear from them or they want something.

Latest posts

Back