Fear of the holidays

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquamoon

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am just posting to share that I am terrified of seeing my family these upcoming holidays/Xmas. I have a history of trauma with them. I am not yet at the stage where I can just walk away. I live on the other side of the country so I don't see many during the year. But this Christmas I will see them and I am terrified. I literally wake up in the middle of the night with unbelievable dread. I just wanted to share that and see if anyone else has a similar experience?

The opposite actually.
I no longer see any family members on XMas or other holidays.
My 2 surviving aunts are too old to do that anymore (in their 90s), and my sister I haven't spoken with in over 6 years.
So I just stay home and drink and watch TV.
I lie to coworkers and others who ask what I am doing.
I say "I am seeing relatives".
I hate their pity. But I understand it's just a question from them. They are not trying to "f" with me on purpose.
But yeah...I just stay home and drink.
Lousy time of the year for me.

Hi everyone. I am just posting to share that I am terrified of seeing my family these upcoming holidays/Xmas. I have a history of trauma with them. I am not yet at the stage where I can just walk away. I live on the other side of the country so I don't see many during the year. But this Christmas I will see them and I am terrified. I literally wake up in the middle of the night with unbelievable dread. I just wanted to share that and see if anyone else has a similar experience?
Hi aquamoon. I haven't seen my siblings for 5 years. My relations with them are strained at best.
I will have to see them in the next year or two. I'm not looking forward to it. My resolve is "smile, don't say much, avoid controversy". I won't be trying to pointscore. That always backfires.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back