Your Stories of Missed Opportunities

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael2

Reaction score
While this topic may have sad stories, hopefully it reminds some of us that in the past there has been hope, and its likely to present itself again. I had thought no girl had ever liked me or showed interest in me but thinking back, that wasnt really the case.

In High School I was in an art class. We sat 3-4 per table. There were a couple of girls at my table. A few months went by and nothing really happened. Then one day our teacher asked us to draw a portrait of the person sitting across from us. Across from me was this cute girl. So I started drawing her picture. She seemed very impressed with the drawing and she started taking it real seriously, posing perfectly still etc so I could draw her. I admit the picture looked good. This is about the time when she started staring at me a bit and started doing things like grabbing my arms when she wanted to talk to me.

I was shy and a loner and this girl was kind of popular so I guess because of my low confidence I kind of dismissed her behavior as just being 'friendly'. Eventually our class ended and I would see her a few times when walking down the halls and she would always look at me. But my mind wouldnt let me believe she liked me.

But I found something that really shook me to my senses. In art class everybody was given huge folders to put all their drawings in. When class ended I took mine home and put it in my closet. Some months later I decided to look through my drawings. And there it was on the bottom of my folder, written in neat, 'girly' writing: "Michael loves Laura"

Even though this happened about 15 years ago it makes me feel better

A recent instance was this girl who approached me holding a child. Instantly thinking she was married and this was her kid I was kind of cool in our conversation. My father was extremely jealous of my mother and the idea of making a man jealous by being overly friendly with his wife frightened me.

But it turned out the baby was not hers....she was just holding it for someone nearby

I had a woman approach me (small miracle) and I blew it.

Again these stories have sad endings but Im sure there are more stories in the future to experience for me and everyone else here.

I'm not going to bother listing any specific instance in detail but I feel like I've had tons of missed opportunities, to varying degrees. I can't help but take things very slow with people at first, then by the time I start to develop strong feelings for a person and want to do something about it, it is often too late.

I have this dream that has re-occurred every now and then. I have to take a bus or a train out of the city. But when I get there I don't get on right away because I still have time before it leaves. But then, before I can get on, the doors close and it leaves without me.

I suppose you could say I've missed quite a few, but I don't look at it like that. If I didn't get to an opportunity before it passed me by, I think it just wasn't supposed to happen for one reason or another. Opportunities come and go and there will always be another one to come along. If I can, I'll grab it, but if I can't, tomorrow is a another day with more opportunities.
I don't have regrets because everything that's happened in my life (or didn't happen, in this situation) made me who I am today.

kamya said:
The only possible outcome of this thread is self loathing.

Then this thread has been a terrible mistake. If a mod would delete it, that would be great.

Otherwise, lets let it drop to the bottom and die.

michael2 said:
kamya said:
The only possible outcome of this thread is self loathing.

Then this thread has been a terrible mistake. If a mod would delete it, that would be great.

Otherwise, lets let it drop to the bottom and die.

dont think it is a terrible mistake

I think lots of us are guilty of self doubt or questioning the other persons motives

A buddy once compared dating to fishing
if you dont have a line in the water you wont catch anything

I won't tell you what they are but I can think of many experiences where I messed up like that. Back then there was always more hope I could make up for it, but I never did. Now I have been single 9 years and haven't been on a date/met a girl for like 7.

Over the years I met two married men who both seemed to be a perfect fit, but married men don't interest me. Because they were both truly nice guys and clearly not totally unhappy, the attraction was only platonic. I guess there was no opportunity to miss there, but still it feels like some kind of loss.

To be honest I think in the second example that it was the woman who blew it by approaching you with a child in her arms in the first place. What did she expect you to think?

And I've had plenty of near misses, both in situations that I was trying to get the girl and ones that came out of the blue. I actually think that the difficulty that a lot of women in Europe seem to have with the Kiwi accent may have been what cost me on at least two occasions when I was there recently...

Triple Bogey said:
None because nobody has ever been interested in me !

Are you sure this is true?

Even if you felt nobody has ever been interested in you, that doesnt mean thats the case. I've probably had a dozen crushes in my life. And only 2 actually really knew I had affection for them. Its extremely likely someone has had a crush on you but you just didnt know it or believe it.

Latest posts

Back