A lonely Christmas

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janjara

Reaction score
Is it a bad thing?

My day is almost over and I have actually enjoyed this Christmas.
Though it would be nice to have someone there with me; I find myself more interested on how other people are finding their day - good or bad. There is much more emphasis on the good and the bad at this time of year, I feel. This can make us emotional; but I find myself happier to at least be able to have some contact with people, even if it is indirect. You don’t have to experience something to imagine what it is like, even remembering an old Christmas, can give you something to focus your day on. To let your mind run riot, so to speak. Having a sad Christmas or a lonely Christmas is better to me than having nothing to remember the day by.

Last year I did not see things this way, and that was maybe because I didn’t see a future in my day to day routine. Experiencing the same lonely Christmas a second time over has given me new insight. I even put up a tree this time. Though I have no decorations for it, it kind of defines a simpler Christmas. I am pretending to be a grouch, for the fun of it :p

I am new to this forum and as such, I will not pour my heart out about the difficultys I’ve faced (we all have our troubles) and am not mentioning why or how I got to this point. I feel this would be too much, too soon, pushing people away.
I am only trying to convey how I see the world, in a light-hearted way. I think this makes it easier to connect with people.

I hope to hear how your day went too, so please, open up. I’m nosey :D

...if this is the wrong forum, my bad. I couldn't decide between general chat, loneliness or positive experiences... :(

Well, loneliness is under issues, and I'm not mentioning issues directly. Also, I don't truly see this as a success story thread - I want to include the negatives. As I said, I'm not sure.

I've enjoyed this 25th of December too, just like I enjoyed the 24th. I spent my day quietly at home like on any other day because Christmas doesn't mean anything to me.

I'd also like to enjoy other people's company more often, but not today any more than tomorrow. What truly bugs me about Christmas is not the fact that I'm spending it alone but the fact that I'm "supposed" to celebrate, have fun, eat turkey and exchange presents with other people on this day for no reason other than "everybody else is doing it" and I'm viewed as either weird or a scrooge for not playing along.

I mean, sure, there's the spirit and the magic of Christmas. But shouldn't we try to be selfless and caring towards other people throughout the year? Who truly enjoys forced generosity?

I spent part of yesterday and today writing a love song. I've got a Bach melody playing over and over in my head and it seems that no one has ever bothered to put words to it, and so I'm giving it a try. I'm stuck on a few passages but I hope to finish it by the time I go to bed tonight.

Anyway, for those of you to whom it does mean something, I hope you had a special Christmas today :).

Cheers,

Viviane in Montreal, Canada

Yep, it can be just another day to me too. However, some days tend to have more emphasis than others, especially days where people gather.
It can be difficult, maybe impossible to maintain this through the year.

As for being considered weird or scrooge, I let people think what they like - bonkers is a trait I am proud of :rolleyes:

Still_Standing said:
I spent part of yesterday and today writing a love song. I've got a Bach melody playing over and over in my head and it seems that no one has ever bothered to put words to it, and so I'm giving it a try. I'm stuck on a few passages but I hope to finish it by the time I go to bed tonight.

Good luck with this; it sounds quite interesting. Is it for anyone specific? :)

Janjara said:
As for being considered weird or scrooge, I let people think what they like - bonkers is a trait I am proud of :rolleyes:

It's not so much that I care about what other people think of me, but rather that I wish they would realize that they let themselves be manipulated by weird social rituals that have no real meaning, with the forced gift buying and dinner hosting and so forth.

Janjara said:

Ha! Ha! Good one :). Actually, I'm not at all a fan of love songs and don't know much about the topic, but I think it's pretty much the only thing that could fit with this soft and mesmerizing melody - except perhaps something religious, which I'm not either. So it's an interesting challenge. I'm just trying not to get trapped in the usual cliches, although perhaps that's what most people enjoy about these songs.

Still_Standing said:
It's not so much that I care about what other people think of me, but rather that I wish they would realize that they let themselves be manipulated by weird social rituals that have no real meaning, with the forced gift buying and dinner hosting and so forth.

Gotcha. *takes down mistletoe*

Still_Standing said:
Janjara said:

Ha! Ha! Good one :). Actually, I'm not at all a fan of love songs and don't know much about the topic, but I think it's pretty much the only thing that could fit with this soft and mesmerizing melody - except perhaps something religious, which I'm not either. So it's an interesting challenge. I'm just trying not to get trapped in the usual cliches, although perhaps that's what most people enjoy about these songs.
Love might be the biggest cliché of all but I'm sure you can bring your own creativity to it, judging by your posts :)

Christmas is finally over! Made it through once more. I was more or less coerced into going for drinks on Christmas Eve, meaning I had to waste a lot of energy appearing sprightly and pleasant towards people I don't know, while quietly panicking on the inside. Christmas Day I got to spend on my own, and the day after that was actually great, allowing me to do some writing and house cleaning in peace.

Even if I had not had my social issues, I'm with Still Standing on this one. Compulsory "fun" is not fun, and follwing tradition for its own sake is ridiculous.

It sounds likea lot of people have found effective ways of dealing with christmas alone. My kids spend holidays with their inlaws and if they have time ( they usually don't) they stop by for a few minutes to pick up their gifts for them and their kids. They just explain they are busy. It hurts to know I don't matter but I try not to feel sorry for myself. I'll watch Christmas movies and just go to bed early. I hope everyone else is able to enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!!

Latest posts

Back