Advice

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherrySlushie91

Reaction score
Okay so i'm 21 and i think its about time to get my license, now let me start off by saying i can drive. I drove all the way to the DMV last time to take the test but the test time came i started shaking like Scooby Doo and failed lol. My anxiety has been getting better but i think that it was just being trapped in the car with a stranger. I'm afraid that this will happen again if i try to take it. How can i keep myself calm and prevent the shaking? Also i would like to get a job but i'm nervous about asking for the application and the interview process, i don't want to lose out on jobs because they think i'm too shy. once i get into the swing of things i'm a very good worker. Any advice??

This is a tough one. I used to be very very workshy. What I did to ease myself into work was volunteer. Volunteering, depending on what you do can be just like a job. With me, I had a manager and team to work with and we had targets to work towards. After about.. 3 days of volunteering [over 3 weeks] I felt a little more ready for interviews and stuff :] I think you either have to pluck up the courage, or see if you can get some help from people. Maybe get family or friends to introduce you to people you don't know too well. You could practice keeping calm on them.

as for the driving test.. you just need to find the right frame of mind.
anxiety is hard to overcome so its best to think of it more like.. avoid it if you can.
when thoughts go down that path.. change direction. put your attention more on road signs.
focus on the road and not the person in the car.
i guess the same advice could go for job interveiws as well. in higher lvl jobs it csn be tense for anyone but starter lvl shouldnt be too bad. they wont expect too much unless its a sales job where you really have to sell yourself.

Hank2 said:
as for the driving test.. you just need to find the right frame of mind.
anxiety is hard to overcome so its best to think of it more like.. avoid it if you can.
when thoughts go down that path.. change direction. put your attention more on road signs.
focus on the road and not the person in the car.
i guess the same advice could go for job interveiws as well. in higher lvl jobs it csn be tense for anyone but starter lvl shouldnt be too bad. they wont expect too much unless its a sales job where you really have to sell yourself.

Take somebody w you that puts you at ease or instills confidence. Before you go in to a place to drop an app, know in your mind they are looking for able, willing, workers. They'll be happy to get an applicant willing to work. You can do it, drink
some coffee and chop chop

Dont be anxious about driving. I have yet to see a woman in a minivan
who can drive at all. You're probably better than half the ppl out there already

Oh yes the fun of a road test. I hated those, I always got the one who had a reputation of failing people for any reason she could find. That didn't help at all, she actually failed me twice. The first time was when I took my road test right after my brother, which everyone said was a bad idea. The second time she failed me is because I refused to do a 3 point turn on a narrow through street that had cars parked on both sides. I did get one instructor that was very nice, she put me at ease.

Taking someone with you is a good idea, if they allow it. Sometimes being honest with the instructor and just tell them you tend to get nervous and anxious. They know people tend to be like that anyway and they may help to put you at ease. Some may not just care so you'll have to keep yourself calm. Just pretend you are with a friend who's giving you directions. Don't picture them in their underwear though, most of the time that ends up adding to your anxiety.

With jobs, oh man the interviewing process can be nerve racking. I hate that process too, and having conducted interviews I can tell you it isn't always as easy either. Grant you, you have control over the interview but you never know who's walking through that door more than what you've read on paper. I've had that experience a few times, they look good on paper, then come in and I think...why am I wasting my time on this person. Again, it isn't always a bad idea to admit to being nervous (just don't go overboard), the person you are talking to has been through the same process at one time. Having been on both sides of the process I like honesty from people.

The big thing is building up your confidence, a lot of people get nervous, you won't be the first and everyone makes a mistake. When you do you can't let it discourage you or you make more. You just acknowledge it, correct it if you can, learn from it, put it out of your mind, and move on. And trying not to let the person on the other side intimidate you, sometimes that is their job.

I failed my road test 5 times! :D I was just like "hurr hurr hurr" and kept taking it over again. I think the instructors just wanted to get rid of me.

Latest posts

Back