Are you spending Xmas alone?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the sense of being single, then yes, I am spending Christmas alone.

One of the most special wishes I made for myself back in January when I started actively looking for someone was spending this Christmas with her. I was so looking forward to us having our first Christmas together this year. I REALLY wanted that, more than anything.

But she's not here yet, so tomorrow I'll be seeing family and trying to act happy. Inside, I'll be a mess. The ONLY thing I wanted for Christmas has not happened, and after a year of serious effort, I'm still at square one.

I just want this year to be OVER already.

I'm Jewish, I always spend xmas alone. I usually get Chinese food and go to a movie. New Year's eve is the worst to be alone for me.

Every year I "have to be with the family on Christmas". That's what's getting on my nerves. Never mind that they always invite distant relatives they don't even like, just because they feel they "have to". I live in a traditional country, where social obligations are seen just as that: obligations, which must be kept. So every year I have to sit there and talk with people I don't care about and who demand that I explain to them why i'm still single etc etc. Ugh
[/quote]

I hear you, Seeker…

just had the ritual Christmas phone call with my 5 cousins, their mother, their sons and daughters, my aunt uncle and uncle's girlfriend - a repetition of - how many? 13 times: "Hello? how are you? good (they usually say it themselves before I can even answer) - we are really great! So bad you are not here this year. What are you eating? This phone call is so expensive (my phone calls to that country are for free) let's hang up". (I never really speak to them aside from this call)
Except for my aunt who stays on the phone a bit longer to tell me how everyone there is mean to her and how she misses me and why didn't I come (bad, bad), even if the last christmas we spent together she was foam-at-the-mouth angry for a whole week and yelled at me because I presented her with a poster saying "be happy".

I feel like throwing up…

At least this year it lasted only 20 minutes. Yay!

cumulus.james said:
I feel lonely

(((hug)))

Bluey said:
Solitary man said:
I can go for long periods by myself without feeling lonely, but have found that Xmas time is when loneliness can really creep in on you. Like me, do you live alone? If so, how do you deal with Xmas time? How do you get through it?

Christmas time is the worst for me.

I too live alone and most of the time just get by.

To night its 20:15 Christmas eve and I am struggling a bit with my own company. Tomorrow I will probably see my mum for an hour then ill be all alone again for Christmas day and most probably boxing day too.

I have no advice that would be useful to anyone but just poppet in to kill some time and to say your not alone in being alone.

Bluey *hugs* missed seeing you around here.

cumulus.james said:
I feel lonely

Sorry you're feeling like this, cj. *hugs*

Thanks. I always feel like this. I often wonder if I'm not borderline personality sort of thing.

Peaches said:

Every year I "have to be with the family on Christmas". That's what's getting on my nerves. Never mind that they always invite distant relatives they don't even like, just because they feel they "have to". I live in a traditional country, where social obligations are seen just as that: obligations, which must be kept. So every year I have to sit there and talk with people I don't care about and who demand that I explain to them why i'm still single etc etc. Ugh

I hear you, Seeker…

just had the ritual Christmas phone call with my 5 cousins, their mother, their sons and daughters, my aunt uncle and uncle's girlfriend - a repetition of - how many? 13 times: "Hello? how are you? good (they usually say it themselves before I can even answer) - we are really great! So bad you are not here this year. What are you eating? This phone call is so expensive (my phone calls to that country are for free) let's hang up". (I never really speak to them aside from this call)
Except for my aunt who stays on the phone a bit longer to tell me how everyone there is mean to her and how she misses me and why didn't I come (bad, bad), even if the last christmas we spent together she was foam-at-the-mouth angry for a whole week and yelled at me because I presented her with a poster saying "be happy".

I feel like throwing up…

At least this year it lasted only 20 minutes. Yay!

cumulus.james said:
I feel lonely

(((hug)))
[/quote]

You are lucky that you got away with only 20 minutes. I just got off of 7 hours of this, i feel spent -.-

I truly agree with that that there are people around you, but there is sense of loneliness.. I ve talked with some ppl, they seemed very happy about their christmas, they were doing fun things. And I only was eating actually, all I can remember (no, I`m not fat, just nothing interesting happened).

I am lonely as Im every day, for me Christmas is like any other day that Im with my animals (3 cats and a dog)

mari1969 said:
I am lonely as Im every day, for me Christmas is like any other day that Im with my animals (3 cats and a dog)

When you're with animals you're not alone. Animals are the best people; they are honest, innocent, sweet, naturally loving and affectionate, and much better company than humans, who by and large, are disingenuous, duplicitous, contrived and not nice people.

Love the pussy-cats and doggies; they are worthy and deserving of your love. I have a cat, who I value much more than any so-called 'human being'. Am I cynical? A hopeless case? Nah, I've just experienced too much of people to have any liking for the batsards.

Misanthropy was a natural and unavoidable choice.

Iam thinking of getting a budgie soon as s/he would be company for me. When I had my cat, I was still very lonely but I never felt completely and utterly alone at home as she was there to share times like Christmas Day with me.

Latest posts

Back