Birthday looming on the horizon..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvernight

Reaction score
Does anyone else fear their birthdays? I mean it's the day when you're supposed to have fun and do something special. But that implies having someone to do it with. I invited a couple of my friends who live in another city, so if they come, it'd be great and we would go somewhere. But it's quite a faint hope, actually. Firstly, they don't like my city at all and secondly, they have a very wide circle of friends which means a barrage of birthdays all the time and they're rather tired of it (I was informed of that personally). It's quite understandable, of course. But I can't help but feel rather lonely if no one comes. Course, it's been like that for a long time, but still. I'm not exactly keen on eating a cake with my grandparents and my grandma's older sister at home (no offence to them, they're good people, but I think you get what I mean). Since people do not come to "lonely" forums because they have plenty of friends to socialize with, I assume for most of you the situation might be similar. How do you spend your birthdays guys? Share your wisdom, please, mayhap there'd be some advice I could use. Not to spend all day moping and several days afterwards, you know.

In the exact same position silvernight! I intend to flea the country for my birthday :p It's annoying cos my birthdays over the summer so all my friends and i usually are at home and it's too much of pain to travel back to uni for a day. It is quite depressing when you think about it. but if you think about how long we live these days, it sort of makes you reslise not every birthday is perfect and some are even a bit lonely.

hummm honestly, i think each of us should cherish their birthday. One more birthday means that hell yeah, you much pretty healthy and full of life....for me....I beginning to doubt i can see my next birthday...but i do hope so .....=)

For me i dont really think much of my birthday, sure theres a little get-together and family comes to my house, i dont need to worry about friends as well.. i dont have any, and i can get ok with family. But for me my birthday is just another day, i know we should cherish it, but shouldnt we cherish each day that we are alive and well instead of it being just the one specific day? each day is as important as the next?

I dont particularly fear it i just wish it wasnt a high profile event... much like other 'special days' in the calander.

I think you're onto something wolf, it is just another day. I wonder why we feel the need to celebrate the aging process?

My birthday has always felt like any other day for me. I've never had parties or whatever for my birthday. Just sometimes a meet-up with some close friends..but lately that hasn't happened until much much later lol (belated). *shrugs* Just another day..

Hi Silvernight, I have just had a birthday and spent all day shopping with my mum then at the end of the day went for dinner with my mum, dad and Nana. But I know what you mean about spending it with the old folks. Its not really a celebration that you would hope to have. I did have fun for my B day but I get exactly what your saying. I hope you have a mad happy time tho :)

Last year, my coworkers got me a cake, but they do that for everyone at the company and they obviously know when my bday is cause they ask for it in hiring documents. Some of my "friends" wished me happy bday on my facebook account, but that's cause facebook alerts you when there is a bday, and most of those people I hardly ever talk to. I didn't get any phone calls wishing me happy bday. It's a lot different when someone you know REMEMBERS when your bday is and wishes you. I don't really care for presents or parties, it's just nice if someone remembers. I always wished that someone would throw me a surprise party but that never happened. And I'm not the kind of person to go around advertising that my bday is coming up because that is retarded.

Don't get to worked up over your birthday; all it means is that about X years and 9 months ago your parents had sex. Why you should bother yourself with it I don't know. Last year for my birthday I stayed at home to do coursework and played a visual novel.

I think what I'm trying to say is, "don't worry too much about what TV tells you a birthday should be like" though it does always feel nice when somebody remembers, something as small as a happy birthday would at least make you feel wanted.

Hey guys, thanks all for your replies. HiddenHydey, loved your view of the bday as "parents having sex X years and 9 months ago" *snickers* I guess you're all right about it being just another day, but still it'd be nice if someone bothered to come. Ahh slag it, guess I'll just find something else to busy myself with, such as watching Stargate episodes through YouTube :p

Birthdays are truly awful. The worst one was when all of my friends showed up at my house and surprised me and got me an awesome gift. BUT, a few days later, I find out that my parents actually called them and bought the gift. Kind of like the time where my parents told me that I had "won" a free trip to the Dominican Republic, but they actually paid for it. Most other birthdays have been me spending a bunch of my parents' money on dinner for people who didn't even care about me. Now I laugh at the concept of birthdays and holidays because mine have been so dysfunctional. I usually just watch something funny on tv. Or scary movies- i like those too.

Latest posts

Back