difficulty starting/holding conversations online

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadSun

Reaction score
I've tried talking to people on forums such as this and chat rooms but nothing ever seems to go anywhere.

by that i mean I'll have a few PM's back and forth but then i don't really know what to say back at some point and that's just sort of the end of it.

I've tried the chat rooms with just random people that are in there,but i don't ever really know how to strike up a conversation in them or keep one going.and of course if i ever switch from PMing to IMing with someone i run into the same previously stated problems as with the random chat rooms.

and of course sometimes I'll see someones post or profile or whatever and sort of wanna try talking to them or something,but i won't because i can't really think of anything to talk about and/or think they won't be interested in talking to me or will quickly become disinterested.

does anyone else have similar difficulties with this sort of stuff?
or does anyone have some potentially helpful advice on this kinda thing?

Try me!

I dare you!

Hit me with the most random PM you can.

that wouldnt happn w/me either
it takes 2
2 tango
mahaha
the othr person has 2b tryng TOO
nt just u deadsun

I have found one-way IM conversations difficult when the other person doesn't know what to talk about, or doesn't even try. The best way around that is to list of conversation topics and then it becomes interesting making random comments in-between.

You can even send a pm with 'hi' in it. I personaly dont find it hard to have a discussion. Pm me o.o

with practice, im sure pming and chatting will become easier

i find chatting online easier sometimes because you are pressured to constantly have to talk about a subject and keep it fresh when in person or on a phone call.

A former extrovert that was "pushed" into introversion. That should say enough about me right there.

Though I am always opened minded and encourage people to tell me anything. And I can keep secrets..lord knows I have many..

PMing with someone is the best way to start, you can reply at your leisure and take time to think about what to say. IMing is a bit trickier since it's real time. If you have something in common to talk about it's pretty easy.

You can always ask how was their day and how they have been during the week. Ask if anything is pissing them off currently or what their plans may be for the day. Small things like this are great.

I seem to have this same issue. Often, I lack in experiences to share and relate with. As such, it makes for a very short, possibly one-sided conversation on the other end's part. Unless it's one of the limited subjects I have a vast, comprehensive interest and understanding of, it's hard for me to remain interested in attempting to keep a subject going with my own responses.

Sometimes though, I do find myself feeling rather needlessly harsh and dejecting towards other people's advances in discussion, as I'll come off as ignoring them or seemingly 'distracted' by something. Truly, I just find myself at a loss of interest and a profound boredom in the topic, that I would sooner just return with inattentive silence. This has admittedly been a growing problem for me in my past few years... It's gone as far into carving away at my motives for finding work or talking to people in my family.

Talking one on one is always a taxing exercise to some extent. Maybe you just aren't ease with these people, or perhaps you just need to keep looking for someone who will click better.

I guess Im not the only one ill at ease with keeping conversations going. Seems my mind always draws a blank.

Latest posts

Back