Eating out alone...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I eat out alone all the time. It doesn't bother me anymore. I get looks from people all the time too and even that doesn't bother me anymore. I can't help it if people don't want to go out to eat with me.

I used to do it all the time, because I have no one to go with :(

I'll eat out somewhere, most Fridays after work, and almost always alone. Does that count, or are we talking about going out specifically for that purpose?

Yes it can be depressing seeing the couples and groups of friends. But then so is eating alone at a kitchen table.

I've eaten out alone too, and yeah, I find that it does get quite lonely and humiliating when everyone else in the cafe or restaurant is with someone or in a group. I think it depends on the service too. Get staff who treat you more like an annoyance taking up a table (as I have had) and it can be a very embarrassing experience. And I have had times when other customers will look at me, say something to their partner/group, and then they all giggle together. THAT is humiliating.

I do it when I have money. If staff treat me as an annoyance rather then as a paying customer. I'd go straight for a refund and exit.

Attachments

• 2016-05-03 20.35.35.jpg
    2016-05-03 20.35.35.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 156
i wish i had the courage to go out and eat by myself but at this point it's even hard for me to go to the corner store to by a loaf of bread ... it does attract attention when someone eats alone in a restaurant ..at least where i live ! But more power to those who can

I guess it's down to user perspective. You could change your mind perception on eating alone and it become just like any other thing you do, without the stigma of loneliness attached.

But I'm personally sick of doing that....i don't want to be alone, humans are built for it....it hurts deep inside

It does depend on lots of things. I haven't felt uncomfortable yet eating alone.
However, I have done so only in cities (Brussels and London). In busy or medium-sized restaurants and felt entirely comfortable.

Reading documents, or things on my phone. Of course having someone to talk to would be much better, however, even that can be exhausting sometimes.

I don't eat out alone, but on Saturday or Sunday every week I go to Barnes and Noble, get coffee, find a book, and sit down and read it with coffee alone. Usually for about an hour or so. I've gone to the movies alone plenty of times.

kuro said:
Right now I'm eating out alone. I do it quite often, especially when I'm out (I often go out alone). Sometimes I'm ok with eating alone and sometimes not. I can get quite lonely, sometimes even embarrassed, when others are in couples and groups.

Do any of you eat out alone? If so, how do you feel?

Is it necessary to feel embarrassed about it? I suppose it depends on whether you WANT to eat out alone. I'm married. I have kids. I love eating out with all of them, and my wife and I always have things to talk about... but sometimes, I also want to eat alone, be alone with my thoughts. I've even gone to see movies alone sometimes.

I used to feel alone before my wife and before my kids. I thought it was something that needed to be "fixed," like the feeling was a vice to me. But then, upon being married and entering the chaos of parenthood, I suddenly found myself missing that quiet, lonely solitude. Not all the time, mind you, and I love every minute with my wife and kids, but I've found that my own loneliness was not the vice that I thought it was.

I've spent the majority of my adult life eating out alone, so it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I usually get more attentive service when I'm by myself, though it's probably because the waitstaff feels sorry for me. Oh well, whatever.

Latest posts

Back