Going to nowhere special alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going into shops where I might recognise someone working there...going to a cafe where you might have a brief convo with someone...out walking saying hello to passers by. I guess these will all be little interactions really but they can make a difference sometimes.

I volunteer at a cinema where I work alone...sometimes they'll be someone open to a chat, on fact, it's part of the job to talk to people you serve and it's been helpful, it also gIves you oportunity to rehearse small talk. I completely agree that it's also very helpful to accept and enjoy your own company, something I'm relearning.

Bouncer said:
Going into shops where I might recognise someone working there...going to a cafe where you might have a brief convo with someone...out walking saying hello to passers by. I guess these will all be little interactions really but they can make a difference sometimes.

I volunteer at a cinema where I work alone...sometimes they'll be someone open to a chat, on fact, it's part of the job to talk to people you serve and it's been helpful, it also gIves you oportunity to rehearse small talk. I completely agree that it's also very helpful to accept and enjoy your own company, something I'm relearning.

They'll keep your sanity in check, but in the end you won't care.

Being alone should already give you enough experience of your own company. Being alone is having so much of it you feel sad. No?

Don't you have a job?

I do everything alone. Go to movies, restaurants, concerts, everything. I have no desire to meet people anymore because people just plain suck.

Jafo said:
I do everything alone. Go to movies, restaurants, concerts, everything. I have no desire to meet people anymore because people just plain suck.

Then why are you here? Isn't this forum place/website supposed to be uniting and providing lonely people across the world, a way to communicate, socialize and get to know other lonely people? Of course you can do whatever you want, so y'know don't get offended.

That being said, everyone knows obviously not the entire human race "just plain sucks". There are good people out in the world. You might as well be saying there's no such thing as other life in space.

I'm sorry that you were so harmed previously in life. But if you want to live, you need to give people a chance. I'm glad I learned that; being able to take a leap of faith with my trust in people. It's made my life a lot better, and I'm stepping away from those dark times where I had my depression, anxiety, ptsd and paranoia constantly biting at me.

Jafo said:

Take care and have a good life.

I am glad my thread is alive and well.
So..lets say its Saturday night. Hmm what should I
I do. I will go to the pizza shop. The pizza shop being an example of somewhere not special. But the previous poster getting irked at someone for saying he does everything alone and is content with doing everything alone. I get where he is coming from because the whole existence of this thread is about people not being content with doing everything alone all the time. Of course some of the time. But when it's starts to feel like the movie groundhog day. Week after week. Month after month. Well that should be bothersome. That is not very healthy. It should reach a breaking point. It has with me. That is why I am active on this site..

Restless soul said:
I do. I will go to the pizza shop. The pizza shop being an example of somewhere not special. But the previous poster getting irked at someone for saying he does everything alone and is content with doing everything alone. I get where he is coming from because the whole existence of this thread is about people not being content with doing everything alone all the time. Of course some of the time. But when it's starts to feel like the movie groundhog day. Week after week. Month after month. Well that should be bothersome. That is not very healthy. It should reach a breaking point. It has with me. That is why I am active on this site..

I'm irked? Then continue to be content with what you do. Go enjoy it. Don't let some sad fresia like me get irked by it.

Take care and have a good life. The light and moon knows it's far better than mine.

Droopy said:
Restless soul said:

Oh chill the hell out.

I'm irked? Then continue to be content with what you do. Go enjoy it. Don't let some sad fresia like me get irked by it.

Take care and have a good life. The light and moon knows it's far better than mine.

Do you think you would enjoy volunteering? We have a weekly event on Saturdays where we get together and make sandwiches for the homeless people. It's a group I found on Meetup. It feels great to give and most people there are really nice and easy to get along with and build connections. Perhaps find a soup kitchen or something along those lines. How about Habitat for Humanity?

With the holidays coming up there should be lots of opportunities to volunteer.

sophia is right, for a person to have any pourpouse, he should have something to strive for. but if youre broken by the world as me and think that it doesnt matter what would you do, everything will just collapse. voluntiring is the best option. i my sellf voluntere at an animal shelter and a place for troublsome kids. a person can get so mych suttesfaction from it that it seems that nothing else really matters.

Guess said:
instead I practice meditation. Just sit in that unberiable situation, best thing I ever done; after few time that you stopped to running away from your self you become more aware about your feeling, and thing change..

Hey, I really like your idea of meditation ! And, I'm curious to know more about your meditation practice - how, how often, how long, etc ?

I'm a loner like the OP and yourself. And, I really would like to begin meditating to calm myself down. I'd appreciate it if you could share more about your practice. Thanks !

Jafo said:

^ Exactly this !!!

Restless soul said:
Recently taking the train in nyc. Where I live. I haven't taken the subway for years. And I think I know why. All related to this threada topic. I sadly had nowhere to go. Meet. And taking things like the subway was a journey pf lonliness I jusy cluldnt take. Especially now I took the subway yesterday. Not an easy task. Might make a new thread about living in nyc. How the lonliness is palpable. Depending on your mental state

I understand. LA is kind of like that too. Big city, everyone is anonymous, no one really cares.

What about traveling outside NYC ? What about bar hopping ? Do you drink ? Play the idiot card ... "Hey, it's my first time here. Have you lived here long ? Where can I find good live music ?" and if they reply with, "Why don't you just look it up online ?", tell them what I would ... "I'm not interested in online research. I want to hear it from someone who's actually been there."

I've heard that NYC bars are crazy crowded ... not good for socializing. I think you want more of a mellow atmosphere where people actually see individual faces and hear individual voices.

Recently, I went to Portland, OR, and I had a blast just taking public transit or walking around downtown, eating at restaurants, going from one bar to the next, till 3 am. Talking to random people. One example - At a live music show, I saw a couple dancing behind me. I stumbled over to them and suggested, in a nice/funny way, that they could really use a dance floor ... then I told them that they're very elegant in their dance. And they were happy to talk to me for a few minutes. It's the small talk that gets things started. And trust me, practice does help ! Really does !

Alcohol does help when you're shy to begin with.

TheRealCallie said:
Somnambulist said:
Alcohol does help when you're shy to begin with

And that's how one gets on the path of alcoholism, if one isn't careful....

So true. That's why someone like me does not drink. I don't need one more problem.

TheRealCallie said:
And that's how one gets on the path of alcoholism, if one isn't careful....

BeyondShy said:
So true. That's why someone like me does not drink. I don't need one more problem.

Well, I was talking about getting *a* drink when out at a bar, i.e. occasionally (I suggested bar hopping, remember ?), not drinking bottles at home everyday.

No need to put words in my mouth :)

Latest posts

Back