healing rituals

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ucxb

Reaction score
Has anyone performed a ceremony or ritual to heal, release, and/or let go of whatever ... a loss, pain, conscious struggle, haunting past, etc?

My therapist recommended I perform a "letting go" ceremony, she mentioned releasing a balloon to float away in the sky... I read about a burning bowl ceremony or just simply writing the troubles on paper and setting it on fire.

Any ceremony ideas? Has anyone heard or done this before?

You mean kinda like meditation? I think a person would only benefit from something like that if they truly believe it would help.

When I ended a bad relationship, I burned all the "love" letters, cards, and pics my ex had given me. It was very cathartic.

since some years I do it every year, it's a new year's tradition :) they say to write down the things, feelings etc you want to get rid of on a piece of paper, and then watch it burn until it's all gone. Also there are some kinky practices (kinky in a new age sense) of cleansing one's own aura, I am not into that but I found that it worked.

Thanks for the responses. Peaches, I had come across the New Year ritual you speak of. One must believe in the process for it to work, you think? Worth a shot even though I may have doubt ?

things either work or don't work regardless if we don't believe in them, right? I personally don't think there is anything magic, but i find it a very comforting superstition, and it reinforces my will to change things (OK, just a little bit)

Peaches said:
things either work or don't work regardless if we don't believe in them, right?...

There is the placebo effect.

The way I see it, you're taking something that is intangible, such as a bad memory, and bringing it into the physical world, where it can be "destroyed." There's more of a permanence to it, which for some can be satisfying, even if it's only symbolic.

I spoke to a few family members about it and they seem to have interest in participating as well. I will look to find paper that burns in different colors.

Every year on a certain day in august I would get depressed over a loved one's death. This year I started to dwell on how she died, as usual. But then I decided to write down everything I loved about, all the good she did when she was here and my memories of her. It actually helped more than I thought it would. I still grieved her death, but it also felt like I was celebrating her life.

I think ceremonies can work. How well they work just depends on the person.

Locke said:
Every year on a certain day in august I would get depressed over a loved one's death. This year I started to dwell on how she died, as usual. But then I decided to write down everything I loved about, all the good she did when she was here and my memories of her. It actually helped more than I thought it would. I still grieved her death, but it also felt like I was celebrating her life.

I think ceremonies can work. How well they work just depends on the person.

Thats very heartfelt and personal, thank you for sharing such

Latest posts

Back