Hi everyone! My first post

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treelooney

Reaction score
Hi to all on the board!! Best wishes from England.
I was pleased to find this site, because I do indeed have a problem with loneliness, and have done for most of my life to date. Funnily enough I get on pretty well with most people. I have had the same job for a few years now, and I work mostly with women, and without boasting, I am reasonably popular with them. My problem starts when I get on the bus to go home, and when I get there, I don't know what to do.
I stress that I do NOT have a television, and have not had one for about 17 years, so no-one can accuse me of watching TV every night. With no TV I quite often try new hobbies, but mostly they just kind of dissipate. For instance, I bought a piano, and spent maybe 3 months learning to play it. I did OK, but of course it was a lonely hobby! I wasn't really enjoying it, so you can guess what happened - I started missing days here and there, then I missed two or three days on the trot, then a week, and now I have the piano in storage!
I have done quite a few other things, such as becoming a football referee (soccer), taking courses at college, joining a gym, joining adventure clubs, going away for weekends and stuff, and some of it I really enjoyed, but I didn't really make any friends that way. :(
I usually give my hobbies as follows:
* Foreign travel (this is true, I have been to 62 countries, but I always travel alone)
* Planting trees (again, this is true, but it can only be done in the winter, and I usually only do one project a year)
* Chess (I am not a bad chess player, and the local club are always asking me to play in the team, but I do find it a boring game).
Other than that, I have interests such as astronomy and space, and science fiction, but you can't really do much with those except read about them.
I am lucky enough to be a fit, healthy man, and I will be 53 this year. I am not sure how much detail to give here. I am straight, but I have never ever had a ladyfriend, and have rarely been on dates. I am still a virgin at 52, and have never really kissed a woman.
I have also had a long-standing problem with depression and self-harm. For instance, I had a really good job with British Airways a few years ago, but I was fired for deliberately cutting myself at work, quite nastily. I was so upset I had a spell in psychiatric hospital.
I then went to college, learning TESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages) but I was kicked out of college for deliberately cutting myself. Sometimes I get so lonely and depressed, cutting myself is the only way to get a bit of attention.
Anyway, it's not all bad news. Due to all the college courses I have done, I have a multitude of work skills, and am pretty much immune to unemployment. I try to do things for others, but would not wish to reveal that here, as it's between me and God. I do have a sense of humour but it is often hidden under layers of depression.
Thank you for your kindness in reading this post. I appreciate it! I am not sure if this is a typical "intro" but I will post it and see what people think.
Best wishes and have a nice day.
Bill.

Hey Treelooney!
Welcome to the forums!
U sound like a really interesting person :) U've tried quite a lot of hobbies, but most of them didnt involve u in a social life, maybe u should try one that does. have u ever tried dancing? Its fun and u usually meet people that way. I was wondering why u dont have a tv? Do u choose not to have one? Not that I like watching tv, I hardly ever watch tv, I rather listen to music.
If u are popular with women at work, maybe u should ask one out, u never know...
And cutting urself is not a good way of getting attention, hope u find other ways of telling people, listen Im here and Im sure u can share ur problems here, there's always somebody willing to listen and that can help lots :)
I also travel alone sometimes, eventhough I have friends, but its very difficult to find a travel partner, so I know what u mean.
Hope sharing here helps, it does for me :)

Hi Treelooney (I like the username) you really opened up and shared a lot, kudos for do that. TV is EVIL good for you not having, it's VERY addicting. Have you tried hanging out with the people you work with? You seem like a very intelligent man who's done quite a bit in his life, I bet you have lots of stories and wouldn't be a dull person to hang around with. 62 counties eh? Wow. Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forum Treelooney.

That was a very nice introduction post , and first thing that jumped to my mind when I read it was that it's a shame you no longer play piano , I find music very therapeutic for me but than again , everyone is different. I can also say I admire you for not having a television , many people would have a really hard time living without one. I'm very surprised someone with life experience such as yours is having a hard time making friends but don't worry there are plenty of nice people on this forum for you to know. I'm sorry to hear about your depression but like spectacles said , harming yourself is not the best way draw attention.

I hope you will find comfort and friends on this forum and if you need anything or just need to talk feel free to PM me.

Take care!

~Michael

spectacles said:
Hey Treelooney!
Welcome to the forums!
U sound like a really interesting person :) U've tried quite a lot of hobbies, but most of them didnt involve u in a social life, maybe u should try one that does. have u ever tried dancing? Its fun and u usually meet people that way. I was wondering why u dont have a tv? Do u choose not to have one? Not that I like watching tv, I hardly ever watch tv, I rather listen to music.
If u are popular with women at work, maybe u should ask one out, u never know...
And cutting urself is not a good way of getting attention, hope u find other ways of telling people, listen Im here and Im sure u can share ur problems here, there's always somebody willing to listen and that can help lots :)
I also travel alone sometimes, eventhough I have friends, but its very difficult to find a travel partner, so I know what u mean.
Hope sharing here helps, it does for me :)

Thank you all for your kind replies. I appreciate them!

have u ever tried dancing? Its fun and u usually meet people that way.

Er....no. I would be too embarrassed to try it. I have two left feet, which are also size 14 UK.

I'm very surprised someone with life experience such as yours is having a hard time making friends but don't worry there are plenty of nice people on this forum for you to know. I'm sorry to hear about your depression but like spectacles said , harming yourself is not the best way draw attention.

Thank you for your kind words. I do have a lot of life experience, but I try also to talk in terms of the other person's interests, to keep things balanced. It used to be a fault of mine to talk about myself too much. Hopefully I have ironed out that problem.
Yes, I certainly have suffered from depression in my life. In particular my teenage was more or less a writeoff, due to depression and illness. While everyone else was larking around and having a great time, going to parties and enjoying themselves, I was stuck at home, with terrible teenage acne and no-one to talk to. I didn't really recover until I was about 22. In fact, you could argue, I have never really recovered at all.

62 counties eh? Wow.

Yeah, but over half of those are in Europe. I reckon I have been to every country in western Europe, and don't forget I count all the titchy ones like Monaco, San Marino and Andorra.

And cutting yourself is not a good way of getting attention

Tell me about it. In fact it cost me my dream job, at British Airways. Losing that job was the end of a fairytale. But when you are desperate for human touch, it is sometimes the only way to get it. At least you know a nice lady is going to bandage your hand. I have never really kissed a woman, and I didn't really have a cuddle in my adult life until 2005. It sounds a bit corny, but it's true. I am a very ugly person, and I can't blame women for not wanting to kiss or cuddle me. I do not rule out self-harm in future, if I cannot find any other way to obtain human touch from the opposite gender.

They are all married! Women get snapped up so quickly. I am 53 this year, and I really think I have missed the boat in this regard.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.

Bill.

Treelooney, you do sound like a very interesting person. You might see yourself as ugly but there might be women out there who wouldn't agree. Also, instead of cutting yourself, just go into the hospital and say you have back pain. You might get a back rub and no scars left behind. Are there any groups in your area where singles your age can meet up and socialize? Where I live, (USA) they have all sorts of group activities.

Hey Treelooney!
Dont underestimate urself, there are some women who do fall in love with intelligence and personality and no with looks. U need to let women know u. Its never late to experience love! And if u try dancing, even if u are not good at it u'll get the women touch :)
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back