How do you imagine... Anything?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mephii

Reaction score
This is totally unrelated to the forums, but I'm just curious as to how other people imagine

My brother claims that he when he closes his eyes and imagines something; say for example, something totally random: an alligator wearing a tophat and a monocle, he claims that he can literally see it.

However, if I were to imagine the same thing, I don't see a literal picture in my mind. I'd think of ways to describe an alligator wearing a tophat and a monocle. For instance, A large elongated reptile (with scales obviously) Wearing an old fashioned hat and a single lens eyepiece connected by a chain to nothing... Then I have to add a tuxedo or suit to the alligator so it at least has something to connect the monocle chain to. Then I add shoes because you cant wear a suit without shoes. But I cant actually see what I'm imagining.

Went a bit off the rails there with my train of thought but how do you imagine things?

I'm thinking there must be at least two types of imaginations. I'm also thinking that my imagination, being descriptive rather than visual, is the reason why I can't draw. The reason being that I can't see in my mind to have an image to copy.
Any thoughts, or am I just starting to think crazy thoughts?

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand it, but I do 'see' my thoughts.

For example when I'm writing a story it's like I'm watching a movie and transcribing what I see.

Although there are bad points to this, e.g. when on a ride at an amusement park I can visualise a bolt rattling and coming loose like on those disaster movies :D

This all depends on how your brain is wired, some people don't think in pictures or images although most people do. If you exercise your imagination often then you're most likely to be able to 'see' something like this, it also depends on your experience and the things you've witnessed or seen.

Perspective is always a factor too, everyone interprets things differently. What you imagine as an alligator wearing a tophat is never going to be how others imagine it, but this is part of what makes you - you.

^ This. And also it has a lot to do with practice. Sometimes I can touch someone in my [daydreams] and actually feel them. Seldom, though. Makes it even more enjoyable when it happens.

Hmm interesting, I've never heard anyone mention something like this before. I can see things visually in my mind, sometimes in more detail than what I can later translate onto paper. You do pose an interesting topic though.

I wish I could see things that I imagine. I don't know how I'd be able to practice it though, as I think and imagine things almost constantly, and I've never had a picture yet.

The more i think of it, the less I seem to be able to comprehend it.

For instance, when I dream, I dream visually. But when I try to recall the dream upon waking up, I'm back to describing to myself what happened etc.

My mind wanders a lot. One of the annoying thoughts I have had is: What language do indivuals who have been deaf since birth think in? I'd assume sign language... But then what if the deaf individual had an imagination like mine, where they cant see themself signing in their head? Do they think by describing hand movements to themselves? I just cant wrap my head around it.

When my I want to kickstart my imagination I like to look at a highly-repetitive patterned texture and my brain connects to the dots, kind of, and helps me invent bizarre and interesting creations (specifically referring to drawing stuffs here). But I get only what my brain builds for me in that area. With my closed-eye imaginings I can direct what I build, but it doesn't last, it all falls apart, morphing into something else rapidly, so my shaping doesn't last long. It's like working with clay that melts moments after being handled: I shape and voila! it is lovely, then POW! it is moving on without me. It can be fun though to see what things my mind brings out though.

Mephii said:
My mind wanders a lot. One of the annoying thoughts I have had is: What language do indivuals who have been deaf since birth think in? I'd assume sign language... But then what if the deaf individual had an imagination like mine, where they cant see themself signing in their head? Do they think by describing hand movements to themselves? I just cant wrap my head around it.

Possibly, I'd assume it would be images of sign language or even letters and words. If they're only partial deaf they still would associate objects and events with sound. You think in whatever language you understand.

Latest posts

Back