How Picky Are You?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiCowboy

Reaction score
Are you picky in choosing dates, mates and friends? I've always thought of myself as being very selective in these areas, especially when choosing dates and mates. I've always had good looking women, and I've shunned many potential mates on looks alone. I've also dumped many because of rudeness or any other red flag that popped up. I met a girl once and had a great time with her. She spent the night with me. The next morning, she pulled a pint of vodka out of her purse. I never called her. Another, with whom I was extremely compatible, would begin asking dumb questions to the point I would give sarcastic answers. She lasted three dates. I could go on with dozens of stories like this. I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but it doesn't take much to turn me off to someone. I've always been like this, and I'm sure it has played a part in my loneliness.

The irony of all ironies: The one time I told myself, "Calm down and give the girl a chance," I ended up in a two-year nightmare of a relationship with the ugliest and most messed up woman on the planet. No bullshit. This woman's own father doesn't trust her enough to send her teenage niece out for a visit. Her father thinks (knows) that she'd damage the poor young girl. Such is life.

You know, thinking back on some of my girlfriends or girls I liked it's obvious I'm not picky, lol. As for friends, much like girlfriends I just have to enjoy their company. I'm pretty easy going and will talk to anyone who comes across as a genuine nice person. I've had a wide range of friends with different personalities. Heck in high school my group of friends consisted of a tomboy, the pretty popular girl, the over weight girl who envied the pretty girl, a jock, me the geek, a self absorbed person, a nerd, a proudly out gay guy (there's a funny story behind that), a stuck up girl (no joke she walked with her nose in the air at everyone), and a few "normal" people. I went out with a girl who was snotty, that didn't last long I just went out with her as a favour to a friend who thought I would be good for her.

Very, and I openly admit it.

I bet most guys here are too, subconsciously, and they go for girls WAY out of their league.

SocratesX said:
I do as well, to everyone.

I bet most guys here are too, subconsciously, and they go for girls WAY out of their league.
That would indicate ambition, not pickiness. Going for someone out of your leauge doesn't mean you wouldn't settle for less.

funkymonkey said:
I'm friendly to just about everyone, but only 'a friend' to a few.
\

VERY picky and its getting me so depressed but Ive only ever liked two people in all my life and I'm 25. I'm so alone but I cant bring myself to date someone I don't have feelings for :(

Saying that I'm hardly happy on my own as I'm very lost in the world and I don't think going out with someone is my answer.

I have one friend who never did me wrong, not even once. Although I would consider him a brother. We haven't talked in ten years until we ran into each other about a year ago. We exchanged numbers but I never called him because he is hooked on meth. I can't be around any of that honeysuckle. Poor *******.

ChiCowboy said:
SocratesX said:
I do as well, to everyone.

That would indicate ambition, not pickiness. Going for someone out of your leauge doesn't mean you wouldn't settle for less.

Well I think alot of dudes here probably go after girls who are WAY cuter than they qualify for. But if people are going to keep denying the role that LOOKS play in the dating game, then they are going to continue sitting around scratching their heads.

All the rational people I know say that people date people who are as physically attractive as them. It's even in sociology books. A good portion of my female friends don't deny this.

The problem is that dudes keep thinking "oh maybe the next cute girl will like me because she's 'the right one'". No. It doesn't work like that.

Hot people date hot people.
Cute people date cute people.
Average people date average people.
Ugly people date ugly people.

There are other factors like strength and social capital and wealth that can change this though, and that basically explains 90% of guys with girls who are out of their looks league.

I can befriend anyone, but when it comes to dating I'm very picky. I will not lie, looks is a plus for me but when it comes to a serious relationship nice personality and a good attitude is what I'm looking for.

I date women that I find to be attractive. My idea of attractive does not necessarily coincide with what society says attractive is. I actually avoid the stereotypical attractive females as I find they usually have no ability to self-modulate their behaviors due to an entire lifetime of never being told no or denied anything. It leads to a sort of neurosis of the soul for them. Besides, I don't see what is so sexy about looking like an anorexic twelve-year-old Finnish boy with breasts. My idea of attractive: a big ol' ass, a cheeky smile, and a mischievous twinkle in the eye.

@ Tiger lily

Maybe lower your standards a bit?

I don't see how to do quotes on this forum.?

I don't even bother chasing after a girl who I feel is out of my league. Too much of a hassle and the chance of rejection.

@funkymonkey, to quote you click on either the "Reply" button on the bottom of the post you want to quote or you can click on the button in between the "Reply" and "Report" buttons. Then you will see a little message in the Quick Reply window asking if you want to insert these quoted messages into your post. That's for when you want to respond to a couple of posts at the same time.

Sci-Fi said:
@funkymonkey, to quote you click on either the "Reply" button on the bottom of the post you want to quote or you can click on the button in between the "Reply" and "Report" buttons. Then you will see a little message in the Quick Reply window asking if you want to insert these quoted messages into your post. That's for when you want to respond to a couple of posts at the same time.

aha! thank you :cool:

Hawt , wild and Crazy...
Free spirited, adventurous. Lives life on the efdge, very humorous, down to earth..but also very intelligent..
More towards the badgirl but very very sweet once you really to know them.
Very loving , very understadning...

Looks? Blonde , blue/hazzel eyes, the body...I love women with a nice headlights. ...but women can change their appearance faster than men.

Most are very romantc' very passionat, no sexualy hang ups and of course music lovers.

SocratesX said:
Well I think alot of dudes here probably go after girls who are WAY cuter than they qualify for. But if people are going to keep denying the role that LOOKS play in the dating game, then they are going to continue sitting around scratching their heads.

All the rational people I know say that people date people who are as physically attractive as them. It's even in sociology books. A good portion of my female friends don't deny this.

The problem is that dudes keep thinking "oh maybe the next cute girl will like me because she's 'the right one'". No. It doesn't work like that.

Hot people date hot people.
Cute people date cute people.
Average people date average people.
Ugly people date ugly people.

There are other factors like strength and social capital and wealth that can change this though, and that basically explains 90% of guys with girls who are out of their looks league.
I don't disagree, but that's not what I'm getting at. Let's assume that everyone hooks up as you describe: Along the lines of attractiveness. How picky are you considering that your dates are as attractive as you are? For example, would occassional rudeness send you running the other way? Alcohol or drug use? Stupidity? Dishonesty? In other words, do you kick people to the curb at the first sign of any red flag, or do you give people a chance? Myself, I have typically sent women packing at the first red flag. I'm wondering if I've been too hard on people, or if I've been wise?

ChiCowboy said:
I don't disagree, but that's not what I'm getting at. Let's assume that everyone hooks up as you describe: Along the lines of attractiveness. How picky are you considering that your dates are as attractive as you are? For example, would occassional rudeness send you running the other way? Alcohol or drug use? Stupidity? Dishonesty? In other words, do you kick people to the curb at the first sign of any red flag, or do you give people a chance? Myself, I have typically sent women packing at the first red flag. I'm wondering if I've been too hard on people, or if I've been wise?

When you say that you send them packing at the first red flag, what that means to me (maybe I'm wrong) is that you were fairly serious in the relationship. Again, this is just my impression, so don't take offense. Maybe instead of getting serious and then having to ditch them when they show uncharacteristic traits, instead, keep the dating phase longer and way more casual until you find the right one. Keep it casual, maybe even open relationships to an extent so that you don't feel like you own the person and the neuroses. What I am saying is don't rush to be exclusive.

Related to this... from "personal experience",I've received info that girls only date people they really like. It's weird,tbh,like when they have the smallest crush for someone,it's either that or no one. To the girls here,is it true? I also knew the "town whores" who date everyone (and when I say everyone,I mean "I'll put my hand in your pants in math class if we're friends" everyone) with only one guy in mind,but those are exceptions

funkymonkey said:
@ Tiger lily

Maybe lower your standards a bit?

I don't see how to do quotes on this forum.?

I've tryed getting to know someone more and I just feel so bad on the person for not liking them enough, I cant lead a guy on who I don't admire , that is unfair on the man.

Poueff said:
Related to this... from "personal experience",I've received info that girls only date people they really like. It's weird,tbh,like when they have the smallest crush for someone,it's either that or no one. To the girls here,is it true? I also knew the "town whores" who date everyone (and when I say everyone,I mean "I'll put my hand in your pants in math class if we're friends" everyone) with only one guy in mind,but those are exceptions

Hi In answer to your question. I think its much like it is with men in that everyone varies, its all about the individual Id say on the whole, girls seem to be more fussy. But any decent girl Id say will only date you if they admire/respect you, unless they just want the physical side which i think is the same for a man. If a man dates girls who's personality could be better (in terms of what appeals to him ) I would wonder why hes with her. Doesn't everyone want to find their match. No one should settle. I mean personality wise, looks are as important, when you think you will be spending the rest of your life with someone.

I personally would be very insulted if a guy dated me just because he thought I was "alright". Because me being me would only be with someone I truley admired.

Tiger lily said:
I've tryed getting to know someone more and I just feel so bad on the person for not liking them enough, I cant lead a guy on who I don't admire , that is unfair on the man.

Well that's fair enough.

I'm just thinking you read of so many people who look for a wife/husband and say he must have £1,000,000 look like a film star, drive a ferrari...or she must look like a model, be a perfect 10, able to have constant sex and cook dinner at the same time and all that etc...:D joking but true.. you know what I mean?

And all the while they are just getting older and lonelier themselves

Latest posts

Back