I am so grateful that this forum exists.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManicPie

Reaction score
As a introverted person, I have a hard time sharing myself with other people. It's really difficult for me. But somehow, when I'm on this forum, or perhaps Yahoo Answers, or someplace like that, I can express my deepest thoughts. Hell, I have a blog where I type the most ridiculous, things that I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER say in public.
But you know why I can do this, why WE can do this? The anonymity of the web. I was thinking about this earlier today, whilst stuck in a mind-numbing math class. When you are on the web, the only thing that other people know about you is your screen name, and the words you write in the reply box/thread box. They don't have pictures to judge you by, unless you want them to see those pictures. They don't have life stories to judge you by. They don't judge you buy your voice, your clothes, your activities, your friends (or lack thereof) or anything. When I'm on these forums, it's so liberating. I'm only a brand-new member, but I'm bowled over by the incredibly support that people offer, and the great constructive criticism that people can offer. People are both realistic and understanding. I sit here, typing this little rant, and I know that you can only see me as far as my words will let you. I'm not trying to be purposefully enigmatic, but in having this web-based anonymity, you can actually learn more about me than if you met me in real life. Because some people probably wouldn't like me if they met me in public, for some reason or another. But here, you are judged by your words and feelings, which are what really tell the truth. It's really wonderful. And sometimes, advice from random people who you know nothing about can be the best advice - because they probably aren't holding much back either.
This is why these forums are so great. I read about people talking about their struggles with relationships, loneliness, their successes, their failures, and the forum helps them, supports them. Could we go out in public, and talk to completely random people about this sort of stuff, completely spontaneously? No. There isn't even a tiny chance. While judging can occur on internet forums, it can't go to the huge extent that it can in the actual world. I feel like for once, I can actually TALK with people, about real things. There are no masks.

Thank you all. Really. I mean it. And you know that's true, because you have no idea who I am in the world. And that's beautiful, because I don't really know you either. :)

Hi Manic, I'm new. nice topic, I liked your point of view and agreed to some extend. yet, I disagree with you a lot in couple of points. "The anonymity of the web" you are not really anonymous (ip address=address of your apt), everything can happen + the support and positivity.. humm, are not very desired by some people like me.
I doubted this forum a lot. that's why I' might be opening up slowly with cation. that might "primarily" be for the following reasons:

- I'm someone who associates "anger" with loneliness and depression and keep it confined and hidden--> 1- it's not tolerated here (no cursing/swearing..) 2- it'll come as pieces of negativity and rejection to other members (and that's something they don't want to deal with, too)
notice: i don't get angry at people, but for example I'll get angry at myself and ignore others because of it

-when it comes to opening and being honest with what you want and feel... there you demand no limit or boundaries that constrain you from expressing yourself as freely as you want. You can see that in my writing (i'll post one tomorrow), while I don't think this forum will accept all the ways I'm using to express myself in the proses and poems I write. (for example, mentioning suicidal will or hate thoughts => might get you in trouble)

I hope I made myself clear about the 2 points I mentioned.
thanks again for explaining your view for this anyway. I enjoyed it.

:O Does that mean you won't be posting a pic of yourself in the Faces thread? Lol jk :p

This forum is pretty awesome, and I'm grateful that it exists too :D

Yeah, I'm also grateful that this site exists. It's just by chance that I came across it.

Latest posts

Back