Lonely at Job Hunting

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyDaria

Reaction score
I have had a job for 10 years. Still have it. Prior to getting that job, I never really had too much of a problem getting a job. Especially if I was over qualified. For about the last 3 years I have been actively looking for a job... and it has been a complete disaster. I get no place. Most of the time when I get called on an interview, I can tell they are not interested. I know, your saying, huh? why would they call you? But apparently there is this thing where they call you automatically if you meet certain traits. (you already work there).

Anyway... this week I got called for an interview outside of my workplace. The interview was so positive. First it went 2 hours -- who does that if they aren't interested? Second... the hiring person when questioning me about why someone else wouldn't want me .. said "she would be crazy not to want you." He showed me where I would be working, he showed me my office, and on and on. Usually if I have messed up and said something stupid, you can tell because the level of enthusiasm drops... but by the end of the interview he asked me if he could call my boss... that day! His enthusiasm wasn't diminished.

So I went back to my workplace and told my boss. He is retiring so he doesn't particularly care. But I still hate bothering him if people aren't serious.

What happened? No phone call. I am mortified. I am also completely lost.

People tell me it is my boss. That people are terrified of "stealing" me from him -- even if they never even talk to him. But that seems so crazy especially now when my boss has 3 months left. I might think my boss is dinging me in the references but on my review he is pretty positive. Even if he did ding me.. I find it hard to believe that anyone would listen. I have worked for him for 10 years.. how bad could I be?

Not for nothing but I am beyond qualified for the job I applied for. I applied for the job I am doing now. Which I have been doing for 10years. There was a particular requirement for the job which was a degree. I know for a fact that there are only about 3 people in the entire state who have this combo...other than me and they work where I do... I find it hard to believe that they were in the candidate pool.

I would ask after I don't get the job but I have asked before and they just won't be honest. In my workplace I asked once and they said it was my "cover letters" which they said were the same every time. Come ON! Please.

The only thing that has remained the same since the start is working for the person that I am.

In a place I worked at in the late 1980's ago this sort of thing happened all the time as it was hard to get staff. The boss wouldn't write references for workers who were trying to find a new job. I gave the name of my ex university lecturers as referees when I applied for another job. Is there someone else you could put as a referee? I realise that, as you have been with your present employer a decade that there might be noone else, and that a prospective employer might be confused if you didn't give your present boss as a referee, but maybe if you were to explain the situation s/he would understand?

Tiina63 said:
Is there someone else you could put as a referee? I realise that, as you have been with your present employer a decade that there might be noone else, and that a prospective employer might be confused if you didn't give your present boss as a referee, but maybe if you were to explain the situation s/he would understand?

See, often, they don't even ask me for references. As in this case he didn't ask for references he just said, would it be ok if I called your boss? Most of the time I never make it to the final interview. So no one asks for references. I do have people they can call. When I got my CURRENT job, I did not list my direct boss as a reference because I didn't trust him at all. My current boss totally understood.

Perhaps this does suggest that NO one will take me from him period... no matter what.

I have a friend who told me that a while ago. I was telling her about this job and I mentioned that the ONLY reference that was of interest to this guy was my boss. She said, well, then you will know for sure if you don't get it.

I just find that sooo insane...

Latest posts

Back