Long Walks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpendable

Reaction score
I've been taking walks lately in my free time. It's weird to think that all the people walking around me have a destination.

"Does anyone could be walking just for the sake of it?" I wonder.

It helps me think about stuff and maybe find something interesting in the way. I often fantasy about meeting someone doing this. They would notice me while I read a book (which helps me too) and ask me what is it about. We would have a conversation and interchange ideas while sitting on a bench. Just a fantasy...
But no one walks alone like me, no one reads and no one cares. Couples taking hands and groups of friends are sure to remind me of what I don't have. It looks so easy... walking in company.
In the end, I just sit in a place looking at the sunset, arms crossed, watching other people pass near me like if I was a statue. Forgotten.
I know I can't force anyone to walk with me, and too shy to approach someone. I feel I have so much to share; so much love to give but no one in the other side of the street... no one who makes me stop walking.

Lonely people do this? Do they waste their time like this?
Maybe I need to walk far away, maybe that way I can find that person who would stop to ask me something meaningful... I don't know.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Like I do in my mind during my long walks.

It looks so empty, when you look carefully...

Oh, I love long walks. I wish I could go on long walks more often. It helps clear my mind and walking is a natural mood-booster. I moved to a new neighborhood a few months ago and went on a few walks to explore. It's not a busy neighborhood but I was happy when the other people I passed mostly nodded and said "hi". It made me feel less alone and even emboldened me to smile and say "hi" first to people I saw. I even waved to a neighbor as I walked by (he gave me a puzzled look :D ).
Before my daughter was born, I used to take the Sunday newspaper to my favorite park, sit down and read it in the hopes someone would come by for a chat. It never happened but I suppose it was better than sitting isolated at home.

-Teresa

I go for long walks when I can, with no destination, and have felt similar things at times. What you'll notice though, if you look hard enough, is that you won't be the only one alone. I often come across other solitary walkers, as well as people together.

I remember the last time I went on a walking weekend on my own, I was standing waiting to cross a road towards a park, and a man and woman went past on bikes, and one of them turned around to say something about which was the right way to go. It brough a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye in wishing that I had someone to share the walk with, someone I could ask where shall we go next. I also remember sitting on a beach once and watching a family playing cricket in the sand, your mention of feeling like a statue reminded me of it, sitting their silently, wishing I could run forward and just join in with their laughter and play, but to them I was just a cold, shadowy figure in the distance, if they even noticed!

At the same time, I enjoy my company, and have nobody's permission or opinion to ask for to go where I please - and I do notice people alone all the time, perhaps they are those who have loved and lost or have never loved, I don't know - I usually say hello.

Perhaps you could find a walking group, so you could at least walk with people, I do this from time time as well as my more solitary adventures!

TheWalkingDead said:
I go for long walks when I can, with no destination, and have felt similar things at times. What you'll notice though, if you look hard enough, is that you won't be the only one alone. I often come across other solitary walkers, as well as people together.

I remember the last time I went on a walking weekend on my own, I was standing waiting to cross a road towards a park, and a man and woman went past on bikes, and one of them turned around to say something about which was the right way to go. It brough a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye in wishing that I had someone to share the walk with, someone I could ask where shall we go next. I also remember sitting on a beach once and watching a family playing cricket in the sand, your mention of feeling like a statue reminded me of it, sitting their silently, wishing I could run forward and just join in with their laughter and play, but to them I was just a cold, shadowy figure in the distance, if they even noticed!

I don't know if others walkers feel the same. I feel I walk to escape; to see if something changes. But all I see is people enjoying the company I don't have. I've been talking to myself my whole life. having long conversations on my head. It only makes me understand better my own misery.

I go for long walks and now that it's summer, I go for long bike rides. I go whenever the weather permits. It helps me cool off, clear my mind, get out of the house. I find it very soothing. It helps me think and feel a little better.

I should do this more often but I dont have any idea where i would do my long walk.
I dont like doing the same repetitive walk everytime that gets kinda boring too .

I love long walks. It's nice to have someone to walk with sometimes too as well.

I used to walk to escape as well, these days it's more to get in touch with myself. And yes I feel in touch with my own misery at times, but also I find a certain inner joy sometimes as well. I think it's good to get in touch with your own misery, but then look for routes and tools to manage it rather than fall into it. You will have joy somewhere, waiting to be tapped, but it is buried deep for some of us.

I understand how you feel, I don't want to take away from the misery you feel or reduce it's significance. I have been experiencing what I can only describe as pure despair lately, but I keep finding a way forward, step by step (I think sometimes walks are a good analogy for life - sometimes we're going somewhere, sometimes we're just sitting down to pause and observe, and sometimes we come face to face with a great big pile of crap stuck in our path). We don't always know where we're going - we might see the mountains or the sea in the distance, or maybe a safe and happier place, but we don't know how to get to it just yet.

But even though sometimes we need to pause and figure out a way through the obstacle, we have to find a way to keep going, and it is not always easy or straightforward. It's a cliche, but sometimes we can only take one step at a time, and sometimes have to acknowledge that for now, our goal is to survive the next hour, and the next, and try not to think about the distance to that destination in the far off perspective.

Sorry, I may have gone a bit deep here!

When I had a less physical job, yes, long walks all the time
Not so much anymore though.

I take long solitary walks as an escape from the house, as cardiac exercise and also for some reason my thought processes work differently than when I'm just sitting. Problem solutions or just arriving at more complete or clearer perceptions of my issues occur when I walk. Don't know why.

I live in a rural area and there's never anybody else out walking when I do. I see cattle, ground squirrels, hawks and once in a while a badger, though.

constant stranger said:
I live in a rural area and there's never anybody else out walking when I do. I see cattle, ground squirrels, hawks and once in a while a badger, though.

I would so love a place like that.

Xpendable said:
"Does anyone could be walking just for the sake of it?" I wonder.
Lonely people do this? Do they waste their time like this?

I haven't lived in a country or in a climate where long walks are possible for years. People in temperate climes are very lucky in that regard. I can only wish it were possible. I would like to spend the whole day outside wandering around and possibly getting lost. I enjoy the tranquility of solitude and just observing the environment as I'm passing by. It isn't just lonely people who take long solitary walks. Walking is very calming and allows a lot of time for reflection. It's not a waste of time at all.

I love long walks,it helps me relax and put my life in perspective as it gives me the time to think and reflect. I live in the city but there are so many beautiful places nearby to go that don't often get noticed by people.

Not walks, but I love long hikes. Not uncommon for me to hike 15 or so miles in a day. I've done over 100 miles over the course of 10 days as well.

I'd love to but really don't know where to start.
Plus I need a of momentum lot to pic myself up and just go to do things sponteanous.

Back when I could take long walks, I would do it all the time, since a teenager. First it was in the city, to look around and explore, I would do it deliberately and often, this was my inspiration http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flâneur

When I was really young I was so shy that I would give up going out just out of fear of having to talk with someone, I think some forum members can relate to that. And on the other hand felt completely alienated because no one ever ever spoke to me, especially in big cities like London. Or I would give up for fear of NOT meeting anyone to talk with. I used to be very complicated.

It took years before I could appreciate walking in the countryside, that for long looked really boring to me (sorry, city girl :D) but later I loved it, there is no better way to being close to nature, and in a way to revel in it. For years I also felt weird going out by myself in the middle of nowhere, and very very lonely, I guess that after a while I really felt some connection with nature so it wasn't weird anymore, I was just one of the other animals roaming around and enjoying life.

It's meditation practice too.

I love hiking and long walks, although I live in a city and have to pay a bit dearly to get public transportation to somewhere nature-y. (I don't have a car.) I find when you're alone you can easily attract other lone walkers. Sometimes, you meet the kindest people but when you don't feel like being social, you can just keep conversation to a minimum or nod at a fellow hiker as you pass each other.

edamame721 said:
I love hiking and long walks, although I live in a city and have to pay a bit dearly to get public transportation to somewhere nature-y. (I don't have a car.) I find when you're alone you can easily attract other lone walkers. Sometimes, you meet the kindest people but when you don't feel like being social, you can just keep conversation to a minimum or nod at a fellow hiker as you pass each other.

I am so lucky, I live on the edge of a big city, so I go one way and I have the urban sprawl, in the other direction I have fields, canals, rivers.

I should make more use of it. I do run as well as walk, but sometimes walking is much more relaxing.

The other day I went for a run, but also walked and stopped to chat with musicians on the riverbank, watch rabbits running around, and stroke some horses.

I am so lucky, sometimes I do not even realise it.

But even concrete can be beautiful, it all depends how you relate to it.

Peaches said:
Back when I could take long walks, I would do it all the time, since a teenager. First it was in the city, to look around and explore, I would do it deliberately and often, this was my inspiration http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flâneur

When I was really young I was so shy that I would give up going out just out of fear of having to talk with someone, I think some forum members can relate to that. And on the other hand felt completely alienated because no one ever ever spoke to me, especially in big cities like London. Or I would give up for fear of NOT meeting anyone to talk with. I used to be very complicated.

It took years before I could appreciate walking in the countryside, that for long looked really boring to me (sorry, city girl :D) but later I loved it, there is no better way to being close to nature, and in a way to revel in it. For years I also felt weird going out by myself in the middle of nowhere, and very very lonely, I guess that after a while I really felt some connection with nature so it wasn't weird anymore, I was just one of the other animals roaming around and enjoying life.

It's meditation practice too.

I hate London it's so unfriendly, nobody speaks to anyone! Or so they say, I remember one time connecting with a Jamaican janitor whil waiting at Victoria coach station - we shared a laugh about some guy dressed as a magician trying to sell his travel card! Manchester is big but a more human scale, could be going the same way but people still seem friendly here, most of the time!

I had that feeling on my run the other night, I was just another animal - some animals were playing music, some were bobbing about in fields, some were being a bit mad running about, and some were just getting on with their lives.

I enjoy running or walking or just being out in nature most when I see it as mindfulness meditation - I know people who treat it competitively and just don't even see their surroundings. That spoils it for me!

I am really sorry you can no longer take long walks, but hope you have some good memories of doing so.

SofiasMami said:
Oh, I love long walks. I wish I could go on long walks more often. It helps clear my mind and walking is a natural mood-booster. I moved to a new neighborhood a few months ago and went on a few walks to explore. It's not a busy neighborhood but I was happy when the other people I passed mostly nodded and said "hi". It made me feel less alone and even emboldened me to smile and say "hi" first to people I saw. I even waved to a neighbor as I walked by (he gave me a puzzled look :D ).
Before my daughter was born, I used to take the Sunday newspaper to my favorite park, sit down and read it in the hopes someone would come by for a chat. It never happened but I suppose it was better than sitting isolated at home.

-Teresa

Where I live, in a city, nobody speaks, people just walk past each other. (Unless you know the person)

When I go on these photo trips to the countryside, people always say 'Hi' - it's totally different, people are way more friendly !

Latest posts

Back