Online dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWalkingDead said:
The funniest profile I read was a woman saying she hated superficial people and was looking for someone who valued her for more than her looks - then said if you are not tall and handsome don't bother messaging her :club:

Some of my particular favorites...

"Must not have any baggage." Those with no baggage have never been anywhere, now have they? :p You don't live life and never carry any baggage of some sort.

"Drama free and don't expect you to have any drama!!!" Gee. You must lead a charmed life to have never encountered any adversity. Also, will you cut and run if any drama comes around? Not someone I'd want at my back. :D

"I'm living life to the fullest!" Ummm...no, you aren't. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here looking for a significant other - you'd already have one.

:D These always make me chuckle. Half (or more) of the profiles I read one or more of these on it.

Alma lost her spoon said:
TheWalkingDead said:
TheWalkingDead said:
The funniest profile I read was a woman saying she hated superficial people and was looking for someone who valued her for more than her looks - then said if you are not tall and handsome don't bother messaging her :club:

Are you tall, & or handsome WalkingDead?

Inquiring minds....:p

I am average height and the other word is meaningless to me!

Apparently average height for a bloke these days(around these parts) is 5'9''

Also...try here :p or feel free to send me a photo & I'll decide:D

Lol I am 5'8"

And I do know what handsome means, I just find the word meaningless and a bit silly. I am certainly not it in the way it means :(

It's original meaning was easy to handle - that is not me either lol!

Though it did once have the meaning of being of a fair size, perhaps this is why some more portly chaps describe themselves as handsome in their online profiles? :club:

TheWalkingDead said:
TheWalkingDead said:
TheWalkingDead said:

Are you tall, & or handsome WalkingDead?

Inquiring minds....:p

I am average height and the other word is meaningless to me!

Apparently average height for a bloke these days(around these parts) is 5'9''

Also...try here :p or feel free to send me a photo & I'll decide:D

Lol I am 5'8"

Me too!

TheWalkingDead said:
Lol I am 5'8"

And I do know what handsome means, I just find the word meaningless and a bit silly. I am certainly not it in the way it means :(

Yo bro, I'm 5'9" and some women have said I was handsome, this is both IRL and online... and yet look where it's gotten me. Nowhere.

Unless a guy happens to look truly exceptional, unfortunately it does not count for much. There's a lot of things that are more important, confidence being #1, then you've got things like social skills and empathy, and such. I've got problems in all those areas. Sounds like you don't... so you've got the advantage then, eh?

Handsomeness is surely a subjective quantity, as is beauty.

I agree with Mr Wayne about confidence being something that can attract others.

That said, I'm confident, & I know I'm not fugly, I'm not what would be considered conventionally beautiful but I look good....IRL I never get approached by men, this was never an issue before as I would be happy to seek(& destroy haha) but that hasn't gotten me anywhere either.

I've no idea whether it would be the same with online places, I guess I would have to dip my toe in the water to find out....I'm still trying to decide if I want to try online dating-this thread makes interesting reading on that front.

Personally I have a 'thing'(not that thing...well actually lol) for tall men(you guys are safe haha), I can't help what I'm attracted to....I'll be honest if you're above 6 foot tall you'd best start running now!:club:

I'm also really attracted to a good skull, I love skulls....

Maybe I should just put out an online ad for 6+ foot tall men with a good skull & see what comes back lol

Batman55 said:
TheWalkingDead said:
Lol I am 5'8"

Yo bro, I'm 5'9" and some women have said I was handsome, this is both IRL and online... and yet look where it's gotten me. Nowhere.

Unless a guy happens to look truly exceptional, unfortunately it does not count for much. There's a lot of things that are more important, confidence being #1, then you've got things like social skills and empathy, and such. I've got problems in all those areas. Sounds like you don't... so you've got the advantage then, eh?

Lol, yes apparently, I have lots of empathy, social skills and confidence, but it counts for nothing online these days!

My experiment is pretty much failing, or succeeding depending on how you look at it. I've even found people local to me with very niche or obscure interests that we share (you know, the band that only 2 people in the whole world have ever seen live or even heard of, the obscure writer, favourite place etc) and still no replies. Nothing, nada. Even tried people who say they are just looking for friends. Nothing.

I really have no idea what people want any more, all I ever do hear is how unhappy people are in the relationships they are in... maybe they don't know what they want either :rolleyes2:

That said, I'm confident, & I know I'm not fugly, I'm not what would be considered conventionally beautiful but I look good....IRL I never get approached by men, this was never an issue before as I would be happy to seek(& destroy haha) but that hasn't gotten me anywhere either.

I've no idea whether it would be the same with online places, I guess I would have to dip my toe in the water to find out....I'm still trying to decide if I want to try online dating-this thread makes interesting reading on that front.

Personally I have a 'thing'(not that thing...well actually lol) for tall men(you guys are safe haha), I can't help what I'm attracted to....I'll be honest if you're above 6 foot tall you'd best start running now!:club:

Maybe I should just put out an online ad for 6+ foot tall men with a good skull & see what comes back lol

That's fair enough. I'll hazard a guess though that if a man said he would only consider blonde women with a cup size above (insert criterion) he would pretty much get :club:

Batman55 said:
TheWalkingDead said:
Lol I am 5'8"

confidence can be seen as arrogance.
personal charm is more important

Triple Bogey said:
Batman55 said:
TheWalkingDead said:
Lol I am 5'8"

There's a huge difference between confidence and arrogance. Arrogance is usually based on projecting confidence due to a lack of real confidence, an overcompensation if you like! It is hard to tell I guess!

In other news, I've actually just had a reply!!!! So maybe the trick is to just keep writing until you get one, and not have too high expectations, though I guess you'll need to be able to make it a full time activity! :club:

TheWalkingDead said:
Triple Bogey said:
Batman55 said:
TheWalkingDead said:
Lol I am 5'8"

There's a huge difference between confidence and arrogance. Arrogance is usually based on projecting confidence due to a lack of real confidence, an overcompensation if you like! It is hard to tell I guess!

In other news, I've actually just had a reply!!!! So maybe the trick is to just keep writing until you get one, and not have too high expectations, though I guess you'll need to be able to make it a full time activity! :club:

no there isn't. IMO

Online dating is all about your photo. Anybody who thinks differently is dreaming

Oh dear, now I have two on the go, my experiment is going to come back to haunt me :club:

I think you definitely need a can't give a crap if they reply or not attitude, but maybe persistence pays off... We shall see :cool:

TheWalkingDead said:

That's fair enough. I'll hazard a guess though that if a man said he would only consider blonde women with a cup size above (insert criterion) he would pretty much get :club:

I wouldn't club you for saying that-I might club you just for the fun of it but not for saying that:p

There's nothing wrong with knowing what you find attractive, it plays a part to a lesser or greater degree(depending on the individual) there's no point in trying to deny it either within ourselves or to others.

It's no different from admitting that I want to be with someone intelligent with a reat sense of humour(which is also important to me-amongst other things like emotional depth).

Ah, this game is such a waste of time.

The two people who actually messaged me back have now stopped - you spend time writing messages trying to get to know someone then it just stops dead for no fathomable reason! Last conversation with one was that she is into the same music as me and I joked I might see her in the crowd at the gig in a few weeks (with 20,000 attendees, pretty unlikely!). It's a fine thing when you can't even seem to connect with someone who shares mutual interests, music, etc...

Guess a better offer came along. Tis their loss, though I know it's not easy for most people to see it that way, just glad not to waste any more time. A shame though!

TheWalkingDead said:
Guess a better offer came along. Tis their loss, though I know it's not easy for most people to see it that way, just glad not to waste any more time. A shame though!

I wouldn't assume something better came along. I have found that, depending on the site, the people on these sites want perfection, are generally very picky, and are generally not very committed to following through on their communications. (At least, from my limited perspective.)

For all you know, the one who shared your music interest suddenly sneezed into a handkerchief and forgot that there was a conversation going on. lol - I've had people contact me all excited and then when they realize this dating thing means a tiny bit of work (albeit, fun work,) then they suddenly disappear.

In those cases, I'd consider them a lost cause and move on without a moment's thought.

Case said:
I wouldn't assume something better came along. I have found that, depending on the site, the people on these sites want perfection, are generally very picky, and are generally not very committed to following through on their communications. (At least, from my limited perspective.)

For all you know, the one who shared your music interest suddenly sneezed into a handkerchief and forgot that there was a conversation going on. lol - I've had people contact me all excited and then when they realize this dating thing means a tiny bit of work (albeit, fun work,) then they suddenly disappear.

In those cases, I'd consider them a lost cause and move on without a moment's thought.

EXACTLY. Another great post. :D

Don't sell yourself short, however...

There is a fine line between getting what you deserve and being full of yourself.

Though there is also the - whatever floats your boat. If it works, it works.

I'm thinking of jumping back into this hell hole of online dating again soon...just need some motivation as I messaged a lot of women had a few good conversations then as is prevalent in the digital age, people don't feel a need to reply. I just despise it but its the only way at the moment bar going to single's events. It's frustrating when I couldn't even get a date out of it in person, but I guess I still need to keep trying otherwise I'm gonna be alone forever.

Case said:
TheWalkingDead said:

EveWasFramed said:
Case said:

For all you know, the one who shared your music interest suddenly sneezed into a handkerchief and forgot that there was a conversation going on. lol - I've had people contact mo

EXACTLY. Another great post. :D

Maybe I should have said something THEY consider better or more important - whether a sneeze or a mistake on last week's grocery bill...

Yeah I know all this but that's all I ever do, really - just keep moving on, it's why I didn't bother with it for quite a while and why I've basically thought very hard about giving up on the whole thing as a lost cause. It's easy to reach a point where you just read profiles and just scrub off the mental list before even bothering to message in the first place and then just not bother going on the sites at all.

My last relationship ended what, 3 years ago now, I met her via a dating site so they can work I guess. If she hadn't lived so far away from me it might have worked, it was all at the wrong time in lots of ways, but you know that feeling that you had your chance and you didn't take it and now life is kind of punishing you for it. I've spent a good portion of that time on dating sites and nothing... not even close, something tells me the conditions are not suddenly going to change, the evidence tells me that people who are attracted to me seem to be incredibly rare, and possibly extinct :rolleyes2:

Gosh I am in a gloomy mood. I went to my running club, and keep meeting lots of lovely people, but they ALWAYS mention their husband/boyfriend/partner at some point. That's not a problem, I'm happy making new friends too - but where are all the SINGLE people?! There seem to be 1000s on the dating sites but I rarely meet any in my day to day activities!

I also know people who are in and out of relationships all the time and I have absolutely no idea how they do it. :(

Case said:

My question then is, what do you do if you don't have a perfect bone in your body? Is the answer then to avoid using the sites?

The other thing is, you said the people on these sites, as if to imply there's some common thread there, as if perhaps they are so picky they're only online to shop for something they can't find in real life. Or maybe that's not what you're saying, and the suggestion is meatspace is the best way to go..?

so... I decided to sign up on OKCupid. I figured the 5th dating site has to be the charm.
It didn't take lone for the sharks to swarm in. 2 married women so far have contacted me.

OKCupid sure has a lot of older women surfing for young guys too. Are they partnering with that OurTime site? ;)

Latest posts

Back