Online dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheRealCallie said:
ABrokenMan said:
I recently saw that even whackjob Charlie Manson has a lady in his life, at 80 years of age. His girl is 26 and agreed to marry him.
I truly have no hope....

Oh please, a groupie going after an infamous guy so she gets attention. I would hardly say that means you have no hope.

^^This. Charles Manson marrying a young attention-getter has ZERO effect on my dating mind-set. I think it's a pathetic story, but that's about it.

Wow... well, the last time I "tried" I couldn't even get to the point of uploading my photo. So its a wash for me.

blackdot said:
...OKCupid sure has a lot of older women surfing for young guys too. Are they partnering with that OurTime site? ;)

hmmm

:p

writerchick said:
Just curious about others' experiences here with online dating.

I started in 2009 to be serious about it but it hasn't been much of anything but pervs and weirdos. I've been on all of the main sites and a couple specialty ones (geek2geek, etc) with little success.

In 1 1/2 yrs on Match.com I had one guy contact me that I went on a couple of dates with. He wasn't my type and pushed hard to make it work when I was clearly not interested in him. None of the men I messaged on there wrote me back. At one point, I had a list but it got depressing looking at the no replies.

OKCupid hasn't been much better. I met two guys on there. One didn't work out because we were too incompatible. The other seemed like a my perfect guy. Only to learn he was living with a woman who paid his bills while he didn't have a job. And he said she wasn't his girlfriend. I didn't say it to him, but doesn't that make him a prostitute?

Plenty of Fish is a cesspool. Men only contact me on there for hook ups.

On all of them there are so many fake people, those Saudi oil men and Nigerian princes. Or I get a lot of men who are not too bright and after I message them a couple of things I like to do they don't understand me. :(

Couple months ago I hired a relationship coach who promised the profile she wrote about me would generate replies within an hour of being put online. Her profile got less responses than mine. Then she blamed me and said I was resetting my counter on Match. So was suppose to pick out a bunch of guys for me to contact, she only gave me one. Then when I asked for a refund she blamed my lack of personal responsibility for the whole thing. Never figured that one out.

So basically I feel cursed. :club:

I feel the same tbh, I've tried most of them okcupid,pof,meetme like you even tried a geek site thinking my love of comics and science fiction might get me somewhere lol but no. I honestly think if I offered women a £1 million just to reply I still wouldn't get any lol. MeetMe is really bad for guys sending pictures of their junk to women and were always getting reposts in the threads, and I think they hurt other men by doing that because all the ladies on there got so sick of it and thought all of us guys were the same.

I made an OkCupid profile and even got a couple unsolicited messages. Though, I can't really fresia with it right now because I'm in no place to date (stayin wit moms, no car, job, etc.). My friend just told me to make it to get over the last and only girl I dated (no relationship). Really I'd start sending out messages if I felt like it. I made up my profile all nice, and I'm interesting enough that I didn't have to lie or front about myself. I'll get on that as soon as I get my license and a job. I really could use some time to just chill with someone and... y'know have sex. I'm pretty inexperienced with all that junk. I'm not afraid though. I know I'll be pimpin', so to speak, when I'm ready.

Don't you have to pay to message back? It was like that on zoosk. I'm going to give tinder a try to see what I get.

^Not on OkCupid, bruh. I was gonna try Tindr, but there isn't a desktop version and I ******* hate touchscreen key boards. I'll end up giving it a go later on when I feel like dating, because that seems to be what all the cool cats (the brain dead masses) use these days.

FauxReaL said:
I made an OkCupid profile and even got a couple unsolicited messages. Though, I can't really fresia with it right now because I'm in no place to date (stayin wit moms, no car, job, etc.). My friend just told me to make it to get over the last and only girl I dated (no relationship). Really I'd start sending out messages if I felt like it. I made up my profile all nice, and I'm interesting enough that I didn't have to lie or front about myself. I'll get on that as soon as I get my license and a job. I really could use some time to just chill with someone and... y'know have sex. I'm pretty inexperienced with all that junk. I'm not afraid though. I know I'll be pimpin', so to speak, when I'm ready.

Are you really "all that"? You really have yourself together?

I don't mean to bring you or anyone down to earth. But you do act as if you're the bee's knees, or something, at least that's what I detect. Maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, though, it's good to be interesting. I wish I could honestly say that about myself.

Are you really "all that"? You really have yourself together?

I don't mean to bring you or anyone down to earth. But you do act as if you're the bee's knees, or something, at least that's what I detect. Maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, though, it's good to be interesting. I wish I could honestly say that about myself.

Hah. I'm quick to admit my faults. I kept it real on there. Admitted that I'm a clamoring buffoon that's somewhat insouciant to much of life, only have 1 or 2 close friends, and am NOT going to attempt to put on a show in an attempt woo someone. I also wasn't unrealistic about my positive qualities, being that I'm ALRIGHT at making music and art, most of my free time is spent inside on the computer talking to people in IRC/doing science in the lab, and I go to shows/parties maybe every 2-3 weeks. Things I chose not to mention were that my emotions run high, I'm egocentric, I have severe mental issues (BPD/ADHD), have dealt with addiction for years, made several suicide attempts, and have been in an out of rehab/psych wards for years. Those are the sort of things you mention a few dates in. All that aside I'm sure there is still a girl out there for me. As there is for all of you, too! I've just become overly-confident ever since I got sober and on meds that work.

... and yeah I think I'm pretty interesting, but not more so than other people. I've merely been told that I'm interesting and awesome by lots of people, even strangers. So I think I have lots of basis for saying I am... BUT everyone else is interesting to me 2 (I'm sure you're plenty interesting, bruh). I enjoy people and interacting with them. So quit playa hatin', brotha man! ;)

Though, I can't really fresia with it right now because I'm in no place to date (stayin wit moms, no car, job, etc.)

I feel like this is what should have clued you in that I think I'm a massive loser most of the time. I'm working on it, though.

I've dabbled with online dating but arguably, perhaps, not as seriously as I could have or should have.

I first tried in early 2012 after a particularly terrible end to 2011 in terms of feeling lonely and down because of it. It was my first experience with online dating and certainly an interesting one. Somehow I worked up the courage to contact a few people, I had a reasonable profile despite some facts (such as unemployment) undoubtedly being off-putting to most women on the sites, and just generally it was actually quite a nice experience for a first foray into that world. I didn't go on any dates (not sure if I would have had the confidence to anyway), got few replies or messages initiating conversation from other women, but I enjoyed experimenting with it and just seeing who was out there. I had one girl, whom I contacted first, who I exchanged emails with for a week or two but nothing eventuated (meeting up-wise, I mean), and another on OkCupid who contacted me out of the blue. I'm actually friends with her on Facebook and we still chat from time to time but back then, nothing eventuated either, not even any meet-ups (although it was discussed). I think she was searching for friends or people to talk to, more than anything, and as for me in hindsight I probably approached online dating the wrong way in the sense that I was perhaps a touch naive and maybe tried forcing some conversations when in reality I should have let them run their course. Combine that with a small or shallow pool, here in Canberra, and the end result was no different to when I started so I deleted my profiles and moved on.

I did make new profiles this year on the various sites, Cupid and POF mainly, but I never really filled them out due to not knowing what to say or how to sell myself, especially while I'm trying to fix my life after a decade or so of the same story repeating itself over and over again. That and I have no recent pictures of myself as I have extremely low self-esteem and don't believe anyone could find me attractive (I realise that's probably not true and there probably are women out there who would be interested but hey, just because I'm smart enough to recognise it doesn't mean I'm capable of accepting it).

But yeah, my online dating experience hasn't been too bad but of course since I've never been on any dates or really connected with anyone as a result of using them, it's not really helpful or representative of what it's like to others.

Latest posts

Back