People interested in serial killers?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always have wondered how Charles Whitman managed to hit so many people. I've been to UT Austin before and found bullet holes that were reminders of where the people had fallen. It also was very interesting to see how the capital of my state had a police force that was out-manned and out-gunned. I got to meet some of the officers who stormed the building and killed Whitman.

Some video footage:

From time to time I hear about murderers who have been found innocent, on the basis of insanity. So they are exonerated and are sent to a hospital instead. My question is, how was it determined that their slayings were caused by insanity?

Looks like there's finally been an arrest in the Long Island Murders which has long stumped authorities.

View attachment 8060
Thank God they finally got him.
And just let me say...anyone who kills hookers deserves a horrid little cubby hole in Hell.
Why kill hookers, of all people?
They're nice enough to have sex with awful, undesirable guys like us.
There are plenty of people I would kill if I was so inclined to do that type of thing, but hookers would absolutely not be on that list!

Thank God they finally got him.
And just let me say...anyone who kills hookers deserves a horrid little cubby hole in Hell.
Why kill hookers, of all people?
They're nice enough to have sex with awful, undesirable guys like us.
There are plenty of people I would kill if I was so inclined to do that type of thing, but hookers would absolutely not be on that list!
😮
I wouldn't kill anyone. Just sayin'. 😜

From time to time I hear about murderers who have been found innocent, on the basis of insanity. So they are exonerated and are sent to a hospital instead. My question is, how was it determined that their slayings were caused by insanity?
That's a very complex thing to answer, which is why they usually go on a case by case basis. I honestly think, personally mind you, that that excuse has a rather wide use...

They are evaluated by those who allegedly know their stuff. And don’t think spending life in a mental institution is better than prison. People often think pleading insanity is some better option.

...how was it determined that their slayings were caused by insanity?

Insanity is more a legal term and is not a medical diagnosis.

The laws determining insanity as a defense vary by location. Some of the main ones are...

By the M’Naghten test, the person is considered insane if at the time of the crime if they did not know right from wrong due to a mental disease.

By the Irresistible Impulse test it defines an insane defendant as one who could not control their impulses even if they knew it was wrong.

By the MPC test (Model Penal Code) the defendant has to be diagnosed with a mental defect that would be relevant and show that at the time if the crime they could not appreciate the criminality of their act or were unable to act within the law.

By the Durham rule a person may be found not guilty by reason of insanity if the criminal act was caused by a mental disease.

The defendants get their medical experts and the prosecution get their medical expert and the court/jury decide who has the most convincing case.

Maybe it should be mentioned that an insanity defense is only attempted in about one in one hundred cases and that defense has about a seventy five percent failure rate.

Insanity is more a legal term and is not a medical diagnosis.

The laws determining insanity as a defense vary by location. Some of the main ones are...

By the M’Naghten test, the person is considered insane if at the time of the crime if they did not know right from wrong due to a mental disease.

By the Irresistible Impulse test it defines an insane defendant as one who could not control their impulses even if they knew it was wrong.

By the MPC test (Model Penal Code) the defendant has to be diagnosed with a mental defect that would be relevant and show that at the time if the crime they could not appreciate the criminality of their act or were unable to act within the law.

By the Durham rule a person may be found not guilty by reason of insanity if the criminal act was caused by a mental disease.

The defendants get their medical experts and the prosecution get their medical expert and the court/jury decide who has the most convincing case.

Maybe it should be mentioned that an insanity defense is only attempted in about one in one hundred cases and that defense has about a seventy five percent failure rate.
Personally, that whole insanity defense brings back the sour taste of the Guy Turcotte murders here in Quebec. Dunno if you read about that case ...
He got off easy. I would have felt better had he been tossed in a cell and the key thrown away...
He's doing 17 but considering what happened, I feel he got off easy.

So yeah, any serial killers on the site? Please note age, location, kill count, number of times in prison etc. etc.

Seriously though, does anyone share my interest in serial killers here? It's a rare thing, and pretty much impossible to talk about mostly.
definitely one of my favorite topic since childhood and I'm lucky I didn't become one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macdonald_triad

Personally, that whole insanity defense brings back the sour taste of the Guy Turcotte murders here in Quebec. Dunno if you read about that case ...
He got off easy. I would have felt better had he been tossed in a cell and the key thrown away...
He's doing 17 but considering what happened, I feel he got off easy.
Not that familiar with it but didn't he spend about four years in a mental institution and after he was found fit to be released,
tried again without an insanity defense and a given life sentence with the possibility of parole after 17 years?

Not that familiar with it but didn't he spend about four years in a mental institution and after he was found fit to be released,
tried again without an insanity defense and a given life sentence with the possibility of parole after 17 years?
Yeah, exactly. But considering the macabre circumstances and the fact he talked about eventually having more children.......I think he got off easy. If there is one thing i find inexcusable, it's harming children. His whole insanity plea because he drank windshield washer? Please. He knew what he was doing. I'd have tossed him in a cell and thrown away the key.

It sounds like the mental disorder verdict was thrown out and that is why he was tried again and received a life sentence in the second trial.
After killing two kids, it would be really surprising if he did get parole for a very long time after be becomes eligible.

It sounds like the mental disorder verdict was thrown out and that is why he was tried again and received a life sentence in the second trial.
After killing two kids, it would be really surprising if he did get parole for a very long time after be becomes eligible.
It was and he did. He also thought about appealing the verdict until some guys in jail did a number on him...
I still think he got off easy. He tried to get away with it. 17 years, he likely will try for parole. This dude has every indivation of being a cold, calculating, eemorseless sociopath. I don't really believe in the whole rehabilitation spiel. Not under those circumstances.

If they are allowing him to apply for parole in 17 years he will probably do it. Leslie Van Houten was denied parole more than 20 times and hopefully it happens to this guy too. The kids, what part did they play in it to deserve to be his target. The guy is not going to get out easily.

I
If they are allowing him to apply for parole in 17 years he will probably do it. Leslie Van Houten was denied parole more than 20 times and hopefully it happens to this guy too. The kids, what part did they play in it to deserve to be his target. The guy is not going to get out easily.
hope you're right Minus.
If you've read about it, you know how this particular case shook a LOT of people 's confidence in the justice system for insanity pleas. It kind of sent out a shockwave through our little province. I'm no exception, for having been through the process myself... criminal cases against children seem to never carry high enough consequences.

Rip in peace
636422935830930581-PHOTOS-OF-TK-OVER-THE-YEARS.jpg

Last edited:
Luis Alfredo Garavito, 'The Beast'.

After the trial ended in December 2001, the court sentenced him to 1,853 years and 9 days in prison for the murder of 138 victims . However, thanks to his collaboration in locating the bodies and to the fact that Colombian law establishes maximum sentences of 60 years, the murderer saw his sentence reduced to 40 years. Thus, when he has fulfilled three fifths, and if he continues to maintain his good behavior, he will be eligible for parole . Everything points to what would happen in 2023.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/suceso...inos-crimenes-colombia-las-caras-del-mal.html

Latest posts

Back