Remembering (forgetting) the good

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sometimes

Reaction score
When this depression hit, all of a sudden I lost all my memory of everything good that has happened to me. All I can remember is all the bad stuff. I absolutely KNOW that 6 months ago I was well aware of all the things I should be grateful for, and I felt it. Now, all that pops into my head is painful, hurtful or unpleasant memories. How do you keep the good memories with you, and keep them to the front of your mind?

I do a silly little ritual, almost every day. Preferably morning is good, probably before bed would be good too.

I have a sentimental item, and think to myself, in my own mind, I guess a short prayer; it's not really a formal prayer though; kind of how Maximus did, in that movie, 'Gladiator.'

Has it helped? It doesn't seem like it. But, I was recently reminded that prayers, will, and, basically anything that is not simple, like a tuna sammich, may take time, to come to fruition. Unfortunately, perhaps a very long time; but, not always. In the eastern traditions, Satori, which is a simple thing, kind of comes in it's own time and way for different people. Some people get it quite quickly with little or even no effort at all. Other people devote their lives, and it doesn't happen for years and years.

I remember. That's what makes it so hard. It's like being away from home, for years and years... I suppose I do forget. The little rituals and prayers become empty habit, perhaps sometimes; but, sometimes I do awaken, and remember.

So, that's what I do.

The thing that worries me though, is, what happens when one attains the thing all the reminders were for? Like a fear of losing the rituas and the reason for doing them. Maybe akin to fear of success. I suppose I sometimes worry that the reminders/rituals may be preventing the attainment, themselves. Like wishing for a cheesecake so hard, that you forget you can afford it now, and all you have to do is walk into the shop and buy it. heh.

I guess that means you have to take your eye off the prize sometimes too, or you might miss out.

"Don't confuse the finger pointing at the moon, for the moon, or you'll miss out on all that heavenly glory."

From what I do know, it seems like, when the fog lifts, and people that go through these sorts of things, begin to see again; it's like a light turns on. The process of readjusting may be gradual, but, it seems like, 'the lights turn back on,' the, 'electricity comes back on.'

Make a gratitude list. Add to it every week, every day, every hour, if you need to. And then KEEP IT. Pull it out when you need it.

I think it's probably pretty common to forget the good things when you're depressed. Hard to stay depressed if you remember good things, right? It's like your mind refuses to let you get out. Keep fighting, you're strong and you'll get there.

What enables one to cope is the acknowledgment that life is both joy and pain. When one suffers, he knows joy is in the future. On the other hand, when one has joy, he should not become too attached to it, because, after all, the joy is temporary. Life is both joy and pain. Just as there is night and day, good and evil, etc, there has to be opposites for there has to be balance. That's why life is both joy and pain.

Latest posts

Back