Reputation rating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's actually a good idea to have a negative rating- provided the reasons are genuine. Ones with higher ratings will probably be more respected by all than those with negative numbers. It's similar to how some of the auction websites do it- those with negative ratings mean you probably shouldn't be doing business with them.

I believe the negative reputation ratings were removed after yours truly and someone else began to rate each other negative after disagreements on the theistic versus atheistic beginnings of life. Since that really wasn't the point of it in the first place and it served little purpose, it was removed.

How exactly is it a good idea to have negative reps available on a forum that mostly contains people that have low self esteem? Sorry, but that's just stupid and asking for trouble.

IgnoredOne said:
I believe the negative reputation ratings were removed after yours truly and someone else began to rate each other negative after disagreements on the theistic versus atheistic beginnings of life. Since that really wasn't the point of it in the first place and it served little purpose, it was removed.

That's exactly why it was disabled. Because the rating system is NOT to be used as a battle ram for members who dislike each other.

someguy23475 said:
I think it's actually a good idea to have a negative rating- provided the reasons are genuine. Ones with higher ratings will probably be more respected by all than those with negative numbers. It's similar to how some of the auction websites do it- those with negative ratings mean you probably shouldn't be doing business with them.

It's understandable in an auction forum or forums with buy and sell business to have negative rep points cos they are doing business. The reputation point would serve as indicator how well viewed a member is so someone can tell if he/she is a trusted seller or not. For this kind of forum... I think Callie said it best...

Callie said:
How exactly is it a good idea to have negative reps available on a forum that mostly contains people that have low self esteem? Sorry, but that's just stupid and asking for trouble.

....Besides, the point of a reputation is not solely to build an image of respect for members. Almost everyone here is an outsider of 'society'. To build a society very similar to the ones we all live in ( somehow trying to escape from) where there's the cool dude, the not so cool and the misfits would defeat the purpose of this forum. Although it can't be denied we are social beings and that a system like that is hard to abolish, the bad effects of it can be lessen. This forum should make everyone welcome and feel comfortable.

Personally i don't like the idea of a rep system at all. There are to many people here that feel ignored or trivialized. Anything that looks like you are being rated can be counter productive when you already feel like an outsider and an outcast. As far as negative reps, they were to frequently misused.

Minus said:
Personally i don't like the idea of a rep system at all. There are to many people here that feel ignored or trivialized. Anything that looks like you are being rated can be counter productive when you already feel like an outsider and an outcast. As far as negative reps, they were to frequently misused.

I agree with you

I'm bad about remembering to rep people. Not that I don't like them but I forget that the system exists!

Latest posts

Back