Serenity Prayer!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThinkPositive

Reaction score
Well it's 4 in the afternoon, I got up early today, and I've spent most of the day just *thinking*. ...And I've had another breakthrough -- the root cause of pretty much most of my problems of the past 10 years: I am too much of a perfectionist and a control freak. I need to learn to accept that there are just some things I can't change, and that if I attempt to fix something and I fail, I don't need to feel so hopeless and helpless. I already knew this in a way, but I never thought of it like this, that my seemingly unrelated major problems I've had since my teenage years boils down to this one issue.

Once, when I was going through a bad breakup, a friend reminded me of the Serenity Prayer:

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

I'm not a religious person and you can leave the "God" part out, but it speaks great truths and something we should all remember. The last part is the trickiest, but I think it helps to at least be mindful of it.

The challenging thing for me, too, is that some of my best traits are wrapped up in the bad ones...I'm perseverant, set goals, proactive, hard-working, etc. I need to figure out how to keep the good stuff but get rid of the part where I am really hard on myself when things don't go the way I want, and paranoid about what people think of me.

ThinkPositive said:
I need to figure out how to keep the good stuff but get rid of the part where I am really hard on myself when things don't go the way I want, and paranoid about what people think of me.

Or at least make your faults more manageable. Perhaps you'll always have your faults. You just have to make sure that they dont interfere with your daily functioning. :)

Latest posts

Back