Singles Holidays

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treelooney

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have not posted here for a while, but I am glad to see that the board is still in good shape.

So anyway, I have recently been on a singles holiday to Turkey. It was not my first singles holiday, but for some reason, I had high hopes for this one. I just had the feeling that something was going to happen, something in the way of romance. I never had this feeling before.

Well, you've guessed it - it didn't happen. :( I got back 4 weeks ago, and I have had a bad case of post-holiday blues, due to the disappointment. Of course, I do not blame anyone else. The other people on the holiday were friendly and kind. But there seems to be a barrier, unseen but very solid, which prevents me getting past first base when it comes to making friends, particularly of the opposite sex. It simply has never happened, and I will shortly be 56 years old.

This was my third singles holiday, but these holidays have not really been successful in helping me with my loneliness problem.

Since I got back I have put a few plans into operation, to try to improve matters. I have rejoined a singles club, of which I used to be a member. They have a lot of sports and activities and things to do at weekends. I have been to a local gym, to try it out, but this is a slightly difficult one, because my job is physically tiring (sometimes very), and I am not sure I want to come home very tired and then go to the gym and do even more exercise. For this reason, I have not yet signed up.

I am not sure where I go from here. The sun is shining, the days are long, and I am still lonely. Some people would say, stop whining, and help others less fortunate than yourself. Well I do! I don't want to say what I do, because good works are between me and God. I do most definitely want to help others, but I also desire to help myself.

Right now I am wondering whether I will ever truly solve this thing.

Thanks for reading.

Bill.

P.S. I have just noticed that there is an advertisement below this thread. Please be aware that I did not post this, and I do not approve of the content.

It must be hard ...so sorry Bill.
But don't let your age put you off...I have read countless times of older people meeting their soulmates well into their later years.
Thats what keeps my spirits alive anyway.

Treelooney said:
Hi everyone. I have not posted here for a while, but I am glad to see that the board is still in good shape.

So anyway, I have recently been on a singles holiday to Turkey. It was not my first singles holiday, but for some reason, I had high hopes for this one. I just had the feeling that something was going to happen, something in the way of romance. I never had this feeling before.

Well, you've guessed it - it didn't happen. :( I got back 4 weeks ago, and I have had a bad case of post-holiday blues, due to the disappointment. Of course, I do not blame anyone else. The other people on the holiday were friendly and kind. But there seems to be a barrier, unseen but very solid, which prevents me getting past first base when it comes to making friends, particularly of the opposite sex. It simply has never happened, and I will shortly be 56 years old.

This was my third singles holiday, but these holidays have not really been successful in helping me with my loneliness problem.

Since I got back I have put a few plans into operation, to try to improve matters. I have rejoined a singles club, of which I used to be a member. They have a lot of sports and activities and things to do at weekends. I have been to a local gym, to try it out, but this is a slightly difficult one, because my job is physically tiring (sometimes very), and I am not sure I want to come home very tired and then go to the gym and do even more exercise. For this reason, I have not yet signed up.

I am not sure where I go from here. The sun is shining, the days are long, and I am still lonely. Some people would say, stop whining, and help others less fortunate than yourself. Well I do! I don't want to say what I do, because good works are between me and God. I do most definitely want to help others, but I also desire to help myself.

Right now I am wondering whether I will ever truly solve this thing.

Thanks for reading.

Bill.

P.S. I have just noticed that there is an advertisement below this thread. Please be aware that I did not post this, and I do not approve of the content.

You should go on your holidays just to enjoy yourself and experience things. Romance should be at the back of your mind.

Try and enjoy your life too !
Don't think too much about meeting someone. Be nice to people you meet. Be happy. Try different stuff. Don't worry either.

yes uh... a touching story. It is great you help other people as well to relieve your pain. This is good step. For the others... I am really not sure because I am too young to feel up with you.

I just wish best luck. You seems to be a good person!

Hi, I am the same age as you, op, and am in the same boat as yourself, still looking for someone to spend my life with. It is harder at our age to meet anyone as most people are taken and those that aren't are often reluctant to approach us because they wrongly assume that we want to be single.
I also understand your desire to help others but also to help yourself. I do things to help others, but at the same time it would be so lovely to have someone who cares about me as well. 'Giving on empty' all the time is hard.
It must have been such a let down to have gone on these singles holidays with such high hopes and then to come home with nothing. I have never been on one, and might look into it.
I don't really know what to recommend as you are doing so much already to help yourself. But rest assured that you are not alone in feeling the way you do and in wishing so much that you could find someone to spend the rest of your life with.

I'm sorry what you expected never came to pass. I sometimes try not to expect anything out of anything so that I don't get disappointed. Maybe try to do something that you will enjoy on your own first, without even thinking about getting something else out of it. Just do it for yourself first. Sometimes things happen when you least expect it.. sometimes.

Triple Bogey said:
You should go on your holidays just to enjoy yourself and experience things. Romance should be at the back of your mind.

I guess you are right. I did expect too much from the holiday.

The problem is, when I do expect things, they don't happen, and when I just go with no expectations - they don't happen!

Thank you for your kind replies everyone. I am busy right now, but I will try to reply to the other posts when I can.

Treelooney - I can relate to it as holiday is my favourite time of the year and I´m really the happiest when I´m there...
I was in turkey too in june/july and you know, in turkey there are a lot of families making holiday... It´s easy for a woman to get some romance on holiday, because we or at least I expect the guys to come to me and start a conversation. and because its holiday, most people are relaxed enough to do that.

But of course there where some guys I looked at and they didn´t noticed that I´m interested (or they just don´t liked me). But I´m not the type to talk to men first because of fear of rejection... So maybe there were some women interested, but you just didn´t know or see that? And yes, I also have a expectation on holiday when it comes to romance. If I don´t had one, I feel like a ugly girl...

After holiday the worst time of the year is to come, usually I´m really depressed when I had a holiday fling and I get too attached to them. So I miss them, I think my life here doesn´t make sense and I just want to get on a plane and make holiday all year long... I haven´t found anything that prevented me from that post-holiday blues... don´t know...

I've never been able to bite the bullet and go on a singles holiday, I dunno why. I went about 10 years without a holiday, the odd trip here and there for stag do's etc (oh I just so love celebrating other peoples happiness, especially going to the weddings........) I've had some awesome holidays recently, been paragliding three times and on a motorbike tour of France once. No romance on any of the hols, apart from the Tenerife trip where my mates nipped outside for a ciggie and came back in with a group from a singles holiday!!! I got on quite well with this little chubby lass, she was quite pretty. We were getting on great and walking down the road with arms round each other. Only problem was the man upstairs had blessed me with my first coldsore in years, just in time for my holiday (I'm convinced the herpes virus knows, it always knows about holidays, xmas, dates - a girl I work with says exactly the same thing) - not wishing this on my worst enemy and not wanting to spread it around, nothing happened - plus I was pretty steaming by this point.

If you have cash on the hip, plenty of bottle and are relatively fit - I can deffinately recommend the paragliding holidays. I've done three now, two in Annecy, France and one in Teneriffe. Even if you have never done it before you can do your EP (Elementary Pilots Licence) while your over there, basically you learn while flying. A weeks solid flying in Spain or somewhere with good weather should get you your CP (Club Pilots Licence). There are companies that run holidays all over the world. Tenerife is mint, you fly all day and drink all night (within reason, your flying the next day!) - Take off in Annecy is terrifying, its always packed and they have a public viewing area now too so you always have a good 100 people watching you fresia up a launch.

I've also done a motorcycle tour round France, I did this on a GSX-R750, 10 days and 2000+ miles perched on the back of that thing was hard work. Great fun though, no chance of pulling but I wasn't there for that. I'd do it again but I'd be wanting a proper touring motorbike this time round. Good if you just want to get away for a while on your own. Sold my bike last year :(

Got a lads weekend away booked in October for Benidorm, 3 days of drink fueled madness. Christ, the last time I went, my mate (my fuckin mate!!! I've known for 20+ years!!!) tried to kiss me back in the room. Bit of a surprise to say the least. Not my cup of tea though, sorry bud! lol.

I'm currently trying to think of another reason to go away, I'm fancying a different activity this time around!

Hey CatToy, great post, thanks!
Actually that is quite a coincidence, because on my recent Turkey holiday I did actually do a paragliding flight. My highest ever, in Olu Deniz, we went off the mountain overlooking the bay (not quite from the top, due to low cloud), anyways, the launch was from around 5,000 ft, and it took about 25 mins till the landing on the green strip next to the beach. I stress this was a tandem flight, with a Turkish guy doing the steering, but it was still quite an experience, and I have the DVD to prove I did it. Showed my workmates and they were impressed!
I have done a bit of paragliding in Cornwall a few years ago, solo, launching myself off the cliffs at Sennen, and also another site near Portreath, with a guy called Lester Cruse running the school down there.
Yeah, great idea CatToy, thanks for the tip. Sounds like you have a fair bit of experience, well done and keep it up. I think I would prefer Tenerife to Annecy, have been to Lanzarote and Gran Canaria but not Tenerife yet, so yeah, great idea!

Christ, the last time I went, my mate (my fuckin mate!!! I've known for 20+ years!!!) tried to kiss me back in the room. Bit of a surprise to say the least. Not my cup of tea though, sorry bud! lol.

Oh my gosh - nightmare! Well, for me it would be, being straight as a lamp post. Anyone who tries that with me gets one warning, and then this: :club: Well, any bloke that is! :)

Great that you have done the motorcycling also. That is not quite my cup of tea, I did have a moped once, but was never a biker. Well done for doing all those things. I mean, I am well-travelled, but a lot of things I have tried, and didn't do that great. You don't even want to hear about my attempt to scuba-dive in Mexico. Nightmare.

But saying that, I can windsurf, and that is great fun.

Hope you will get round to going on a singles holiday - you sound like a character, and if you like a drink, as I do, you can get talking to people and have a good laugh.

Oops, my time is running low, better post. Thanks and best wishes CatToy.

Bill.

Well I'm straight as a lamp post too, but you can't go clobbering a mate! It's not like he was trying to rape me or anything. To be honest, there were rumours about 8 years previous to that which I deemed "total bollocks". I knew the risks (lol, risks.../facepalm) when I said, nay, asked to share with him. And I'm sharing with him again this October. Hes a good lad, I've a lot of time for him. We have a good crack together, when he's not trying to stick his tongue down my throat.

Friends are too hard to come by to be loosing them over something as, quite frankly, hilarious as this. I really couldn't care less, whatever turns you on :D

Well no wonder your relationship is all messed up with him. You're smoking crack together!

CatToy said:
Well I'm straight as a lamp post too, but you can't go clobbering a mate! It's not like he was trying to rape me or anything. To be honest, there were rumours about 8 years previous to that which I deemed "total bollocks". I knew the risks (lol, risks.../facepalm) when I said, nay, asked to share with him. And I'm sharing with him again this October. Hes a good lad, I've a lot of time for him. We have a good crack together, when he's not trying to stick his tongue down my throat.

Friends are too hard to come by to be loosing them over something as, quite frankly, hilarious as this. I really couldn't care less, whatever turns you on :D

Yeah, well maybe I wasn't too serious about clobbering him CatToy, although I would be none too happy if someone tried that. But I guess if you're mates, it can survive something like that.
I was quite surprised to find you on this board, CatToy, you sound to me like you've got tons of mates. Anyway you are welcome here.

Yamira said:
Treelooney - I can relate to it as holiday is my favourite time of the year and I´m really the happiest when I´m there...
I was in turkey too in june/july and you know, in turkey there are a lot of families making holiday... It´s easy for a woman to get some romance on holiday, because we or at least I expect the guys to come to me and start a conversation. and because its holiday, most people are relaxed enough to do that.

But of course there where some guys I looked at and they didn´t noticed that I´m interested (or they just don´t liked me). But I´m not the type to talk to men first because of fear of rejection... So maybe there were some women interested, but you just didn´t know or see that? And yes, I also have a expectation on holiday when it comes to romance. If I don´t had one, I feel like a ugly girl...

After holiday the worst time of the year is to come, usually I´m really depressed when I had a holiday fling and I get too attached to them. So I miss them, I think my life here doesn´t make sense and I just want to get on a plane and make holiday all year long... I haven´t found anything that prevented me from that post-holiday blues... don´t know...

Thank you very much for your kind post Yamira. I can relate. I am quite sure you are not an ugly lady. Yeah, it's possible that ladies could be interested in me and I wouldn't know it, because of a lack of experience, I am not good at recognising the signs.

So many people have post-holiday blues, either because the holiday did not live up to expectations, or maybe it did, but then it's all over, you lose touch with people, you are getting up early on a Monday morning, back at work, so many things to do, problems getting you down. I know.

It sounds like you are quite good at meeting people and getting to know them, you mentioned that you had a holiday fling, so that is something. I hope you will find the person you are looking for. Best wishes to you.

Bill.

Treelooney said:
Triple Bogey said:

I guess you are right. I did expect too much from the holiday.

The problem is, when I do expect things, they don't happen, and when I just go with no expectations - they don't happen!

Thank you for your kind replies everyone. I am busy right now, but I will try to reply to the other posts when I can.

I have had very few girlfriends. Sometimes things happened out of the blue, unexpected. I met somebody off here this time last year. I didn't expect it. It just happened.

Latest posts

Back