Spending a lonely birthday

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are not the only one OP, my last birthday was spent all by myself, nobody wanted to make the effort with me.

You do matter and remember, you're lucky you're still alive! People die every day!

This will be my first year where I won't bother with anything. New to the area where I am. I don't have any friends over here.
I'll be working all day on my birth day. I'll probably get a call or two from old friends and that'll be it.
Although I might go to the shop get myself a small single malt whiskey with some cashew nuts and have a few while blasting my head with some music and just reflect on stuff :)

I have the opposite problem. I do not like people congratulating me on my birthday and trying to convince me to celebrate. I haven’t celebrated my birthday since I was 18 or 19. I have this day and I hate the reminders of it. I don’t understand what’s the point of celebrating if you’re alone with no relationships ever. And the older you get the harder it is to find someone. So why celebrate the sign of vanishing opportunity to ever have a boyfriend? :)

LonesomeLoner said:
You are not the only one OP, my last birthday was spent all by myself, nobody wanted to make the effort with me.

That must be difficult. On my birthday it's always a family affair, though there is one old friend who remembers and sends me a message. I had a 'friend' who I liked so much but I don't think she ever once wished me a happy birthday, or even remembered, despite me remembering hers. Perhaps birthdays are a time to consider who really matters in your life. It's tough, but I think true friends are a rarity in this world, most other people couldn't care less :(

edamame721 said:
My birthday is next week. I felt out some acquaintances, but they seem to be going through rough patches in their life. I asked my family to have dinner together, but they haven't all responded. No one is is being pro-active.

I feel pitiful having to ask for some attention. I feel like I don't matter. I've honestly thought that I could go missing for weeks and no one would even notice. I was trying to work myself up to at least do something nice for myself, but right now I might end up sitting at home and crying.

You do matter! Your sense of being, your experience, and your very presence on this plane of existence, as well through the words of this very forum it all matters!! :) Don't ever allow someone to make you think otherwise.

Happy Birthday Edamame721!
May this day bring you great joy, satisfaction of your own sovereignty, and the mental freedom of not needing the pity of others!

I know not hearing from so-called loved ones on your special day can be painful, but find solace in knowing the truth where certain people stand with you, so you may forever know there real truth.

It is better to be with alone than to be with fakes and flakes.
Although I may not know you, just know you are loved! By those that appreciate you and/or those that don't know you yet that is just like you!

Be at peace! Be of happy cheer! Happy Birthday!

My being extends my love to you and everyone else that is alone on there birthday. Be strong, be powerful, and continue to be at peace!

edamame721 said:
My birthday is next week. I felt out some acquaintances, but they seem to be going through rough patches in their life. I asked my family to have dinner together, but they haven't all responded. No one is is being pro-active.

I feel pitiful having to ask for some attention. I feel like I don't matter. I've honestly thought that I could go missing for weeks and no one would even notice. I was trying to work myself up to at least do something nice for myself, but right now I might end up sitting at home and crying.

I have been doing that for years, I usually go and buy dinner out and a piece of cake from the bakery and sit down and eat and watch tv on my birthday.

I always spend my birthday alone, day like everyday. I just don't like parties, dinners or stuff. I really don't care. Maybe I had one. When I was very young my parents make a party so it doesn't count at all :p It's no big deal I think that then nothing special happens.

Queen of maniacs said:
I have the opposite problem. I do not like people congratulating me on my birthday and trying to convince me to celebrate. I haven’t celebrated my birthday since I was 18 or 19. I have this day and I hate the reminders of it. I don’t understand what’s the point of celebrating if you’re alone with no relationships ever. And the older you get the harder it is to find someone. So why celebrate the sign of vanishing opportunity to ever have a boyfriend? :)

I'm the same way. I prefer to spend spend my birthdays alone. I'm going to be 50 this year, a "milestone". Just another reminder that I'm mortal.

I spent many birthdays alone, not all of them sad. The nicest ones were when I bought myself flowers and spent a day at Kew Gardens, sketching and/or taking photographs of the beautiful plants and flowers. I'm married now and I receive two cards. One from my husband and one from my sister-in-law.

Birthdays are basically just another day to me now. Nothing special.

My B'day, let see as long as I remember I haven't celebrated my b'day with parties and stuff, not even once. Maybe sis gave me present once and She too and that's that. And I don't want anyone to know my B'day either. I prefer quietness than sounding madness. It's normal day for me just like every other day. But what's make it special is...the thought that I'm alive in some sense. And I hope next one comes again so that I can look back and see myself getting old.

Hey PD. The year of the Drgon in Chinese zodiac is a 12 year cycle.
Which include,1916,1928,1940,1952,1964,1976,1988,2000,2012 and
2024. :)

Lucky numbers are 1,6 and 7.

Lucky colours are gold and silver.

Lucky flower is a bleeding heart. ;)

You look really fit and well for someone born in 1916. ;) ;) ;)

It might because birthdays are not really seen as a special day anymore. Most people I know treat it like it's a regular day. The same goes for holidays. The last two years I worked on Thanksgiving. It came as a shock to me really.

Latest posts

Back