Tropical Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I kind of pooh-poohed this one at first; I was quite amazed, however, at the breadth of her wisdom on the subject. It's still not my cup of tea; however, those long forgotten slogans of wisdom, such as: "Don't judge a book by it's cover," continue to ring true.

One thing I would add is that: perhaps it seemed easier to make friends when I was younger, because I was still discovering, shaping, and creating my, 'self.' I think at a certain point, I became sufficiently, 'me.' I arrived at the destination. Then for whatever reason, it seemed like, life took that, 'me,' I was quite satisfied with, away from me (hah!?). And not only that, but continued changing everything else around it.

I'm tired. I liked my, 'Me.' I thought it was a pretty good, 'Me.' And I'm angry and upset, that, having put so much work and effort into creating a, 'Me,' that, like a sandcastle on the beach, it was just knocked over, or quickly eroded by the waves of the sea of time. I don't want to rebuild it. heh. :( That's okay.

My understanding of impermanence, at this point, seems a point of woeful ponder.

...But, I think to myself, what an amazing thing... This, 'Me,' that Idea, that Concept, real or not, tangible or not, it's simultaneously something I have nearly next to no control over whatsoever, as well as, that it is an enduring process. I don't realize it just now, but, that, 'Me,' is something I can continue to discover, shape, and create. And even after I'm dead, it will continue to morph and change, forgotten or not.

*shrug* Doesn't feel so great now, but, pretty cool, I think.

Last edited:
Well, I recently have myself to blame for being click baited into having a Yale learned Surgeon, via Youtube, basically, call me an idiot, lol. I suppose there is no need to take it personal. He was probably versed in some of the more recent neurological findings, as there was some reverse psychology in there, and I quote (not completely accurately), from half way into the video: "And then you have to take the painful road of admitting to yourself, you're taking some advice from a random stranger on youtube."

I guess in summary it was a, 'no pain, no gain,' talk, compiled in such a way as to be delivered in a reverse psychology, sort of, shame and insult you into quitting d*cking around, and taking actionable, piecemeal steps, towards accomplishing things that make you feel good for accomplishing them, and that improve your lot in life.

I knew it was clickbait, but, sometimes, I realize, I'm no longer the person who used to read wikipedia for three hours straight, and then wonder where the time went. My attention-span is dismal these days. So, I thought I'd give it a chance and a full view.

Take-aways:
-I felt quite hurt, and insulted, so I'm venting here.
--Perhaps took it too personal (most likely, but feelings are feelings).
-I do not envy the work of a surgeon. (Or shameless shilling for sponsors on Youtube (though, I may have sour-grapes about it))
-He explained that TikTok attention spans and the continuing trends of this nature, are actually an opportunity, by simple virtue of not following these trends. ie: reading books instead of consuming, 'dopamine-jackpot media', for one example.
--I don't really like the way he quite vindictively put it though: but, I suppose, 'getting even,' is one way to get ahead.

In my defense, I'll say this: there was a time, coming out of my early youth, and into my young twenties, where, I realized, I wasn't really living, to put it one way. I was just existing. I had come into possession of a book some one (from here, actually, I forget who now) gave me, and I learned what it had to teach me. I enjoyed every second of it. Spent up to 8 hours some days, just learning: reading, taking notes, doing the homework. I was a different person, then, though.

I thought I had some important point to make, or something helpful to offer up, by way of relating this experience, but, I just remembered what my original point was(full context here).

Anyway, that's that. I'm not a rich Yale prick who does a very necessary, respectable, and highly, highly skilled professional job, that earns a lot of money, and posibly takes comfort in his position in life, by contrasting it against those who have been less ambitious, for whatever reasons, etc. (That's the cognitive dissonance / sour grapes, probably (maybe he helps his land lady carry out her garbage and is actually a real swell guy, and I'm a loser).

Philosophically, however, there's no reason to, 'put myself down,' and call myself a loser; plenty of people will gladly remind me of why they think I'm not so great, and perhaps quite none-to-kindly, at that (whether I self-flagellate or not).

Sometimes, you lose. I'm an aging male, venting on a forum, about being clickbaited into getting insulted as a way to spur me to action while simultaneously being reminded of how my life isn't so well put together.

*sigh*

There's flowers blooming outside though. And they are beautiful.

To his credit, one of his quotes was (whether original or not): "You chose the pain you want in life, or life choses for you." Maybe some one will find words like that useful.

It's not my style though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back