What do you do to combat your loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer145

Reaction score
I think one of the best things I've ever done is taken an interest in traveling. When I leave the country I change so much become so much more outspoken and confident and explore with wonder.

It is pure joy that I find for myself it is just amazing finding places meeting new people even if its just while i'm abroad. I feel like the person I am in my own country doesn't exist and I have the ability to take control of my own life and be truly happy... Of course the down side is that when I return home, I just fall back into the same pattern of depression and loneliness unable to connect with people and just looking forward to reaching my own goals not what is happening in the present.

Maybe people outside the UK are just more open and thats why I get along with them...

So what is the best thing you do to help ease the loneliness?

Traveling does the opposite to me. I feel even more alone. I always think "It would be nice to share this experience with someone".

I currently have no solution. Except maybe binge Netflixing

Yes, traveling too! It makes my loneliness easier, because new culture, new people, everything is so new and different when traveling to new destinations. :) It makes me forget my loneliness.

Rather than fighting loneliness, I choose to accept it, embrace it, making it part of my daily life. After I learn to accept it loneliness doesn't bother me at all. Now I choose to be lonely and not because I have to be

I actually enjoy being alone most of the times... I've been like that ever since I was a kid... For a while, my parents thought there was something wrong with me & even tried to have me see a shrink... Don't get me wrong, there are few times, as rare as they may be, I do feel a bit lonely... I just concentrate on something I enjoy & before I know it, I don't feel lonely anymore...

Surcruxum said:
Rather than fighting loneliness, I choose to accept it, embrace it, making it part of my daily life. After I learn to accept it loneliness doesn't bother me at all. Now I choose to be lonely and not because I have to be

I'm the same way, I actually enjoy not having to answer to anyone and do whatever I want to do. I have a dog too, so he keeps me company. Even if I wanted to start seeing someone, the older I get the more people I run into that are self-centered, shallow and/or selfish. Who wants to be bothered by that?

But, back to the topic at hand. I go fishing. I also watch a bunch of movies. I started going through a list of the Top 100 movies of a 100 years, but the musicals just kill me. So, I switched gears and have now planned on watching the best movies of the silent era to now...there is a list online I'm going by.

Also, I have quite a few DIY projects I've been slowly working on. Thanks to my dad, he taught how to be mechanically inclined, so if something breaks around the house or my Jeep goes down, I don't have to worry about taking it somewhere to get ripped off...again, it's another project to work on that takes my mind off of stuff that might get me down. Plus, knowing that I'm able to to repair something, save a ton of money and get it done fairly quickly, does put a smile on my face.

It used to be alcohol and my guitar that kept me from being lonely. Now that i have a fiance i do not need the alcohol.

I will have to confirm the guitar works well, and internet/facebook and making plans of being more proactive and meeting people, and thinking how lucky I am not to have to take care of a family and maybe a guy who beats me up, and instead have all this free time to do things, maybe it's the universe's way to indicate me to improve my accomplishments

Traveling sounds like a wonderful option for helping with loneliness. Unfortunately, that is not a possibility for me right now. I'm stuck here.

Most of the time, I'm OK with being alone. But there are times when it really gets to me and becomes very difficult. 1) When I'm sick. 2) When something bad happens that makes me feel sad. 3) On my birthday and certain holidays.

How do I cope? The internet is probably number one, especially playing games on my computer. Television. Music. Reading. I try to watch my diet, but occasionally I will drown my sorrows in junky food. And just telling myself over and over and over again that it won't always be this way, that next year will be better.

There's also leaving the house, going to the library or park or some outdoor event. But that can be a double-edged sword. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes it makes me feel even lonelier.

Latest posts

Back