DBT & BPD

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullirose

Reaction score
Dialectical behavior therapy.

It's what people with borderline personality disorder are suggested to use because there aren't any pills for it.

I've been going to a dbt group for a few months now and no one told me that it was for borderline personality disorder. I saw a handout we were being taught on and there it was "bpd manual for therapist". I wonder why they wouldn't tell any of us.

Doing a bit of wikigoogling I found that bpd is the result of, according to surveys or whatever, family environments mainly. Sexual abuse, of course, comes up as another largely contributing factor. Incest, emotionally withdrawn parents after incidents...all leading to disassociation, black and white thinking and for me an inability to control my anger and displeasure for seeing others upset (only if I'm in a bad mood, though, but i get **** twisted...).

I guess seeing that bpd is, not the answer, but information about something that could tell me how to get past this...I thought it'd be helpful. I'm actually more fearful because I could be just like my parents and let my son succumb to this. Yeah, go get help, right? Believe me I've been in therapy since I was about 8 or 9. Nothing seems to be changing. Though, the one good thing is that my family is gone. It was strange when it happened, but as soon as I stopped contact with them all I didn't feel like someone was over my shoulder. I didn't feel ashamed of my sexual feelings. That's a big one with me as I was never able to get an orgasm without pain until that happened. It's really amazing how messed up you can make another person...it's really amazing how messed up people can be. I feel like I'm in a dark box sometimes, bumping into people with cattle prods of emotion. That was a stupid metaphor but maybe someone out there will get it.

This thread wasn't to inform on the topic of dbt or bpd or the ptsd that is often associated with it; it was for me to get it out and feel that mayhaps I'd get something helpful in response. Anything's better than the nothing I've been getting.

I have never heard of Dialectical behavior therapy. Is it sort of like Cognitive Behavior therapy, for social anxiety sufferers?

I think so. It's about the process of relationships and regulating emotions. It's helpful but I think that everyone should take it. It would reduce anxiety, anger any strong emotion that's overwhelming to the extent it causes a rift between people and what society expects.

Latest posts

Back