Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it always important to understand "why?"
Why? has caused me great pain over the past 18 months.

I have yet to get an answer why my ex treated me so badly for our last 6/7months together. All I got were excuses and very hurtful comments that have wounded me badly.
(05-12-2013, 12:56 PM)EveWasFramed Wrote: Have you ever been in a relationship and some issue came up between the two of you, and even though your partner explained WHY it was an issue, you still just didnt "get" it? Meaning, you simply couldn't fathom why it was such a big deal to them?

Do you think it's more important to understand why they think like they do on the matter, or is it more important to simply understand that it's important to THEM?
Thoughts?

I know what you mean Eve.

Maybe you understand why they feel that way.. but you just can't make yourself relate to it and truly accept it.

I think it's important to really understand.. but sometimes you have to be true to yourself, respect them for being who they are but acknowledge you're different.

For example. I have a friend who has a condescending attitude to women. Sharing very intimate details about his "consort" as he calls her, making a video of having sex with her and showing it around. Shit like that. I can understand why he does it, but I can never accept it for myself as a right thing to do, yet it doesn't prevent me from being friends with him. Now in relationship.. where people are partners, there is dependency, and I might be able to compromise on small things but even if I understand or not why she does or wants things that I cannot accept.. I simply couldn't accept them.
I have often been in that issue. Sometimes I discover the source is MUCH more disturbing then ignorance, but then it's something that needs faced, otherwise it's going to manifest in darker ways.
(05-12-2013, 12:56 PM)EveWasFramed Wrote: Have you ever been in a relationship and some issue came up between the two of you, and even though your partner explained WHY it was an issue, you still just didnt "get" it? Meaning, you simply couldn't fathom why it was such a big deal to them?

Do you think it's more important to understand why they think like they do on the matter, or is it more important to simply understand that it's important to THEM?
Thoughts?

Constantly. In spite of my issues I am very anti-dramatic in relationships. I am very patient in areas that would drive others insane, but I have a few pet peeves. My girlfriend expects me to retain a complete record of absolutely everything I've done over the course of the day for reiteration upon my arrival home. If I leave out anything from the reiteration but it's brought up again at a later point, I get nagged because I didn't bring it up sooner. Apparently "It wasn't important to tell you about it then" is not a valid answer to her.
Stand inside the temple
As the book of Thel is opening
The priestess stands before you
Offering her hand out, she's rising

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How important are looks, to you ? Mountain stomper 90 16,981 06-12-2020, 03:50 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  How important is what I wear? Jesse 27 9,218 08-01-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Richard_39
  How important is sex in a relationship? Maggie- 30 9,041 05-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Last Post: smarty24
  I don't understand. Where did I go so wrong? Red_Wedding_Casualty 130 31,776 12-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Xpendable
  How important is it to be in a relationship in your 30s? Restless soul 98 25,247 12-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Last Post: GrayAndLonesome
  I'm starting to understand why people become "players" MentatsGhoul 64 21,065 10-04-2016, 06:21 AM
Last Post: Forsaken-Knight
  Trying to Understand Someone? cryingcloud 10 5,040 05-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Rosebolt
  I don't understand how long term relationships are supposed to work SophiaGrace 13 6,433 11-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Last Post: edgecrusher
  please help me understand this guy Peaches 41 9,095 08-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Peaches
  I don't understand why I'm unhappy somber_radiance 2 1,778 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Last Post: WallflowerGirl83