Jobs and Career paths.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer145

Reaction score
So if you've been isolated and a loner most of your life you realise it affects your ability to function normally in society at times. This is the same of jobs. I have to admit I was doing a degree in which I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to go into it as a career and as such got below average grades.

Now in employment it is so fierce you can't get basic interviews, online applications serve little to no purpose as they reject any grads without sufficient grades off the bat and 100s of people are applying for the same job. It's a real pain trying to get somewhere in life. At the moment I'm in an ongoing temporary position but I would like something more stable for the year.

So what is your work situation at the moment how did you get into it? Would you suggest joining sites like LinkedIn to expand your professional base?

EDIT: Moved from Low Self Esteem board didn't think it fit there.

I have had several people contact me through my LinkedIn account, asking if I wanted to work for them. So I would create one. If you want to PM me and ask how to set one up, I will gladly give you a hand.

This is a prime example of what I tell my students, you have to get good grades and you have to try to get the highest grade possible. I have so many students say, "I'm just going into the military, I don't have to care about this." And guess what, they get bad grades and don't get in. Hmmmmm. *Steps off of soapbox*

Anyways, I was one of those middle of the line students in college, and I got my job as a fluke, so I am bad example. I thing that helps beat out other grads is job experience. Have you had any internships? If not, you can find an internship temporally to build up your resume. Goodluck.

I don't know. I have good grades, a top school, and I continue to see gross examples of it isn't what you know... but who... even in places where people should know better.

Just this Friday... there were two people up for a job... the person who got it was best friends with the co worker of someone who was best friends with the hiring person. This person is NOT qualified for the position and has a loud mouth unprofessional demeanor.

A few years ago, I applied for a "lateral" position in my workplace. I would be doing the exact same job (that I have been in for 8 years). The job advertisement asked for someone with an advanced degree, which I have (with honors). Who got the position? Someone with NO experience who did not have a college degree (who was a minority). Many people told me I should have sued... I am still considering it. Here is the kicker.. when that person is out... I have to cover for him. So I guess I am ok to do the job when they need someone.

In two months my boss is retiring. I should be in line for his replacement. I strongly suspect they will find a way to get me out of that job. They are not going to allow me... (who they hate) to get the job... that they want for the people they like.

Though I admit, it is crucial to get good grades. When I was in college I didn't get them and then I got crap jobs and had a very hard time getting into graduate school...

I always wanted a job in computers. I had qualifications but it soon became apparent that I would find it hard to get any job.
While everybody I knew walked into great jobs, for some reason I couldn't get anywhere. I got a few interviews but I was quiet and shy so I never got chosen. I had a couple of temporary jobs which lasted a few months and I also went on a few training courses. Wherever I went, people just didn't like me. I tried to talk to people but I was insulted or made fun of.

After 7 years of this, I joined this job club. They gave you stamps to send off letters. I decided to apply for some supermarket / shop work. I had worked in a supermarket for a year when I was 17 and at school. (They hated me as well) - after sending off 200 letters I got this interview in the small shop. I got the job. It was working nights and only 18 hours a week. About £10 more than my dole money. It was a small shop and almost straight away I discovered how friendly the staff were. They actually talked to me. Most were women. It was a laugh some of the time. I learned how to serve people, deal with them. Some were nice, some were ******* horrible. Anyway the shop shut because of low sales and I spent another 2 years unemployed. I joined another job club and sent some more letters off. There was another shop nearby, same company that I had worked for before. I sent my letter at exactly the right time, somebody had been caught stealing and got sacked. I had my interview (which was easy because I knew the manager slightly) and she offered me the job straight away. Within 3 months I was a supervisor and 6 months later I was running the shop. Then we got taken over by a bigger company and I went back to staff. A few years ago we got taken over again and I'm still there now. Been there 17 years. Do enough hours to live on. I didn't expect to end up working in a shop but it's a job and it's money and my hours are great !

Nicolelt said:
This is a prime example of what I tell my students, you have to get good grades and you have to try to get the highest grade possible. I have so many students say, "I'm just going into the military, I don't have to care about this." And guess what, they get bad grades and don't get in. Hmmmmm. *Steps off of soapbox*

Not possible if you have ADD and/or learning problems.

The only way I would have been able to get good grades from 10th to 12th was if they forced stimulant drugs down my throat.

I don't think I'm college material, period.

So what now?

Triple Bogey said:
Within 3 months I was a supervisor and 6 months later I was running the shop. Then we got taken over by a bigger company and I went back to staff. A few years ago we got taken over again and I'm still there now. Been there 17 years. Do enough hours to live on. I didn't expect to end up working in a shop but it's a job and it's money and my hours are great !

If you're running the shop or have a management position, I would think that's not really so bad. I've seen plenty of folks who just stay in the low-end retail positions and don't move up.

Batman55 said:
Nicolelt said:

Not possible if you have ADD and/or learning problems.

The only way I would have been able to get good grades from 10th to 12th was if they forced stimulant drugs down my throat.

I don't think I'm college material, period.

So what now?

Triple Bogey said:
Within 3 months I was a supervisor and 6 months later I was running the shop. Then we got taken over by a bigger company and I went back to staff. A few years ago we got taken over again and I'm still there now. Been there 17 years. Do enough hours to live on. I didn't expect to end up working in a shop but it's a job and it's money and my hours are great !

If you're running the shop or have a management position, I would think that's not really so bad. I've seen plenty of folks who just stay in the low-end retail positions and don't move up.

I didn't enjoy it that much. I spent half the time dealing with shop lifters or talking to the police. It was very stressful.

Latest posts

Back