should I worry so much about this?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAnxiousPain

Reaction score
So I was living in a house with 6 other people, where there was no shower, just a kitchen sink where we all had our own buckets and fill up with water to take bird baths. I did the best I could washing my clothes out on hands. Plus the house had an odor... 

However, I had to pay for a ride from a guy I found on craigslist in the gig section, I had no choice and I had no other way to get to work. The guy turned out to be nice but extra weird... and every time he picked me up from work he would be so amped and I realized he was drunk. His car also had problems where the heat didn't work and it was bitter cold a couple mornings. 

He picked me up 1 day and had a blanket folded on the passenger seat where I sat. I felt like he probably thought I smelled. I didn't smell myself, and i don't think I was reeking, but I know I probably had an odor from the house or maybe my clothes wasn't the cleanest. 

Also at work, there was a guy who liked me a lot and was trying to take me out on a date etc. However, I think he was trying to hint to me that i smelled because he was making remarks in a joking way and he also told me "I want to wake up to your morning breath". Although this was 6 months back.. I haven't seen the guy that gave me a ride nor the man I used to work with in about 6 months. I'm in a better position now, very clean and at my best,. 

But Now looking back, I feel like I might have a bad rep, I'm starting to think how other people was probably viewing me at that time. What if I'm somewhere and get called out about it. Although, I don't think I was ever that bad off, but a part of me feel self conscious about it, 

So what if you get called out. You aren't there anymore. You did the best you could and worked with what you had. If anyone has a problem with that, they can shove that up their ass.
If you are that worried about it, just explain that you weren't as worse off than you are now and you did what you had to do. But, chances are probably pretty good that you feel worse about it than any other person.

I think everyone looks back at part of their past they aren't proud of with some anxiety. If they didn't there wouldn't be a billion memes online about not being able to sleep because of an awkward situation 5 years ago.

I don't think your story is something to worry about, honestly, I would be **** proud of it. You got yourself from one situation and rose to a better one. I wish I had a way to look at people 6 months ago and say, "Bam, look at me now." You have that. No one can take that away from you. I personally think it is awesome. And if someone says something about your past smell, I don't think it would be a calling out, but more of a well done complement.

It's in the past. Try not to worry about it much. If someone does bring it up, I'm sure that if you explain the situation the same way you've explained it here, they will understand. Be proud that you are where you are now vs 6 months ago.

Don't worry about it now. I agree with the others....you coped well with a tough situation and you've improved your position and you can be proud of that. And consider that you now know survival skills that most other people don't....those skills may be needed some time in our world's uncertain future.
I myself have lived through homelessness and scavenging food from sandwich shop dumpsters and campground rubbish barrels. If it doesn't kill you it makes you tougher.

Realistically I'd say you probably did have a smell to you, that is nothing to e ashamed off though when you did what you could with the tools and facilities available to you!

When you live in a certain smell for long enough you'll become immune to it, or weirder yet it starts to be a good smell, the smell of home!

Don't worry about it, people are quick to judge, and you can't stop anyone from judging sadly, even if they don't know enough about the situation.

Latest posts

Back