A Teetotal Life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Drifter

Reaction score
So are there any other non-alcohol drinkers on the forum? It’s my office Christmas party tomorrow and I’m already expecting the usual rude remarks and judgemental comments!

The worst is people who push drinking on you!
*pushes drink away* I said Noooooooo. Thank you!

My career is in the trades, and getting completely plastered is the generally accepted after work pass time. I enjoy a beer or two now and then, but I'm a really cheap drunk and always have a very bad reaction to drinking more than a few. Often I just get really sick to my stomach before I even feel much of a buzz. If I drink any great quantity of hard alcohol it's pretty much guaranteed that I'll be bent over a toilet in agony for three hours or more later on that night. So yes, I can definitely relate to feeling like an outsider sometimes due to my non-drinking.

Tell people you have a liver or kidney problem - that usually gets them off your back (what I say).

Or drink tell them there is a rum in your coke or a vodka in your orange juice (its not mandatory to prove there is alcohol in it)

Know its hard, I had first drink in about a year the other day,(to not be the odd one out) I only had 2 but it took me 2 days to get over it.

Wouldn't bother me if I never touched it again.

I have never drank shockingly enough, I see it as a great achievement for some reason

People always ask why I never have and I don't really have an answer, it just never appealed to me

Yep same boat for me too. The smell has just never appealed to me for some reason so I've never wanted to do it.

I don't drink, but luckily I'm never around anyone who'd try to make me anymore. It used to be pretty difficult to be in the company of people who couldn't imagine any event without alcohol - people are very rude and inconsiderate about it, even worse than how they treat you when you tell them you're vegetarian.

I don't drink alcohol either. I hate being drunk as I hate drunk people. Last time I drank alcohol was June 2011.

I've abstained from alcohol thus far. When I was younger I had a sip of wine; it tasted like fly spray, so I spat it on the floor and never bothered with it again. A few years later, a case of alcohol-fueled abuse traumatized me and I've been averse to it ever since. I can't go to a party even if I wanted to because I panic when I'm around drunk people. I'm glad I didn't try drowning my sorrows in a bottle, but I quickly fell out of contact with most of my friends because all they did was go to parties on the weekends. Aside from that, as was already stated, it just didn't really appeal to me in the first place.

Teetotalers can do their fair share of judging too.

Some people drink because they actually like what they're drinking. Drinking does not automatically = drunk.

rdor said:

Some people drink because they actually like what they're drinking. Drinking does not automatically = drunk.

Very true, I used to drink Baileys because I liked the taste and texture of it over ice - blew my head off though :D

rdor said:

ya, my bro in law was like that. he would stand outside the bar area at a wedding sneering at people buying drinks and treated them with distain if he thouight they were tipsy. was almost as if he was jealous in a way. but i think he didnt drink because his parents drank too much

I've had it before, but going to attempt to not have it again. I don't need a drink to have a good time.

When I die don't bother me
Just dig me a six foot hole
With a candle at my head and feet
And a jar of alcohol

Teetotal is poop :p

rdor said:

Who's judging?

Edit: So tonight went far better than I feared. Sure there were the initial jokes about me not drinking, the usual questions and I felt a tad left out when conversation turned to alcohol talk but people soon dropped the nonsense and we all had a good time.

Also had kisses from a number of ladies who confessed to having crushes on me, yay! :p

Latest posts

Back