A Teetotal Life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GioRocket said:
I love that song but I have absolutely no idea what the lyrics actually mean lol

I wouldn't even know what the lyrics are if I hadn't looked them up, he doesn't have the best pronunciation xD

Well his teeth have seen better days bless him! Still, it has a certain drunken majesty to it. Great group, rum sodomy and the lash is a fantastic album. Maybe fairy tale of new York is not the best example of their music though!

GioRocket said:
The Good Citizen said:
Bob Arctor said:
Poguesy said:
"The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks- they spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does." - Shane Macgowan

Lol wow. Let alone the myriad debilitating brain diseases a lifetime of drinking can cause, this statement assumes that simply by abstaining from alcohol one becomes an anti-social workaholic without any values or knowledge of self other than materialistic ambition. I would venture a guess that Shane MacGowan is a little off his rocker. Could his detachment from reality be due to a lifetime of poisoning his body and mind? Hmm, food for thought.

Ah you have to read it in context, Shane McGowan is a drunk but also a legend and a poet, least we forget....

"It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in at eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So Happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true"

I love that song but I have absolutely no idea what the lyrics actually mean lol

I wouldn't even know what the lyrics are if I hadn't looked them up, he doesn't have the best pronunciation xD

Would you know what they meant if you were drunk? :p JK!

Largely it's a play on the optimism of Christmas through the eyes of a drunken couple having an argument. The belief that next year could be their year set against the hopes and dreams of the past and everything the fairytale of New York promised when they first arrived, washed away in a drunken haze and disparaged by them both in their insulting and blaming each other.

It's a wonderful song, sentimental yet honest, of hope, funny but also tragic. Much like a life drinking to excess.

Lilianna said:
GioRocket said:
The Good Citizen said:
Bob Arctor said:
Poguesy said:
"The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks- they spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does." - Shane Macgowan

Lol wow. Let alone the myriad debilitating brain diseases a lifetime of drinking can cause, this statement assumes that simply by abstaining from alcohol one becomes an anti-social workaholic without any values or knowledge of self other than materialistic ambition. I would venture a guess that Shane MacGowan is a little off his rocker. Could his detachment from reality be due to a lifetime of poisoning his body and mind? Hmm, food for thought.

Ah you have to read it in context, Shane McGowan is a drunk but also a legend and a poet, least we forget....

"It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in at eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So Happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true"

Would you know what they meant if you were drunk? :p JK!

I'll have to try..oh wait, Good Citizen just posted the meaning, I won't have to get drunk now, goddamit :p

no interest in drinking at all, hate the feeling of a fuzzy head !
Had 1 bottle of bear this year ! Forced into that as well by this cow I was seeing.

duff said:
no interest in drinking at all, hate the feeling of a fuzzy head !
Had 1 bottle of bear this year ! Forced into that as well by this cow I was seeing.

Never, EVER let someone "force" you, just say "noooooooo, THANK YOU!!!" *pushes drink away*

Latest posts

Back