A thought

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDunKnow

Reaction score
I've felt that a part of why I've been alone growing up is that I've never tipped really far on a scale. I wasn't smart enough to "hang" with the smart kids. Wasn't geeky enough to "hang" with the geeky crowd, that sort of thing. I felt that it made me very socially awkward, even in a crowd I should be able to flourish in. Has anyone ever felt that way or noticed this before? It was just something I was thinking of.

In my early years of high school, I just didn't know where I belonged. In my last few years is when everything fell into place and I had a real clique of friends. I felt the same way as you, never really fit in with one crowd and that's the big problem with high school. The friends I had later were a mix of personalities, it was the best time of my high school years, even with all the crazy. Many years later most of us still keep in touch and the best thing, even though our lives have drastically changed we're all still the same people we were back then. It's great to just be able to have a conversation like it was yesterday. I have some old childhood friends that I just don't know how to talk to anymore since we've been out of touch for years.

Even with all that I'm very socially awkward myself, I hate being in a group of people, I don't like going to group functions, I don't like making eye contact with people in stores, etc. I'm fine if I'm going with someone I know, but alone, good god no.

i have been that way my whole life. i always felt out of place. when i look back at high school i see that it started there. i was the same way, not smart enough for that crowd, i mean i hated school. i didnt do any drugs or even smoke pot so i didnt fit with that crowd either. and thats all there really was it seems like. the school i went to was far from where i lived so there was almost no one that i went to school with that lived near me. and the few that did werent really anyone i could connect with. as a result i dont really talk to anyone from high school, atleast not regularly. i have pretty much become a loner and somewhat of a recluse. if i didnt live with roommates id probably be very much a recluse.

Like you I never fit in anywhere and that's when I started to search the why if it. Found out I have PSTD and am dyslexic. Wow-what a releif-until them I thought I might be insane because of the differences. I march to the beat of my own drum and will not follow the "others" off the edge of the cliff into the abyss. I sometimes wonder if ppl here are just like me when out of place and time but you know that it is our space and time no one elses. In 1960 I wanted to marry and told my mother I wanted to keep my maiden name-she slapped me across the face and told me they lock ppl like up! When the Womens Movement came around a few years later I revisited that convesation w/ her and she didn't like it very much that I reminded her of the event. But, she never said she was sorry. Oh well, I knew I was right in my thinking. See others try to make us feel out of place when it is them that have the problems. Put it back on them...
I hope I have not offended anyone w/ my response.

Latest posts

Back