A warning to vulnerable lonely ones.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alonewith2cats

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I haven't been feeling quite so lonely in my single person home lately because I've been preoccupying myself with a topic that for some unexplained reason absolutely fascinates me and I've learned a lot. I understand that one thing that can soothe and provide relief from loneliness for a lot of people is religion. It really doesn't work for me because I'm an atheist. Throughout my life I have often encountered these nice people called Jehovah's Witnesses who pass out Awake magazines to me. Because of my non-believer attitude I have never fallen prey to them. I sometimes took their magazines, looked at them and threw them in the trash. But I never understood who they were. I understand they don't celebrate any holidays. My co-worker who now sits right next to me, we get along very well. He is a Jehovah's Witness, young man in his 20s, refuses to sign birthday cards passed around for fellow coworkers and does not participate in any holiday events. Of course we all find this strange behavior mysterious but respect him and carry on with our business mind not to discuss religion or politics at work. After he refused to sign the last birthday card being passed around at work and told me his reason for taking time off work which was to attend an event to commemorate the death of Christ I decided to research this curious religion. I went on-line and found a huge abundance of information on the internet and on you-tube and listened to the stories of numerous ex-Jehovah's Witnesses. This particular website is where I got a great deal of my information.

http://www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com/critical-info/six-screens.php

The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society runs the Jehovah's Witnesses. They are a multi-billion dollar corporation. They are not a true religion but a business selling fabricated religion that is not bible based. They fit into the BITE (Behavior control, Information Control, Thought Control, and Emotional Control) model which is how you can tell the difference between real religion and a cult. See the following you-tube video.

The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society is only interested in financial gain which they receive in large amounts from their members and yes, they do get paid for their massive amounts of published literature, all donations. They are a pubishing company generating millions, if not billions of dollars. They have done harm to their members. They teach their members that it is against God to "eat blood" so thousands have refused life-saving blood transfusions and died. They used to also ban life saving organ transplants and vaccines too but now they allow it. But their policy regarding blood still remains. Also they have a reputation for tearing apart families through the practice of disfellowshipping and and shunning those who leave the Jehovah's Witnesses, they are then called apostates and there have been many many stories of relatives no longer speaking to one another, parents refusing to speak to their own sons and daughters. This has led to suicides. They will also turn you against your own family if you join them and can't convert your family members. They believe that anyone who isn't a Jehovah's Witness is going to die in Armageddon and that they are separate from the rest of the world and they will live on a paradise earth. We non-Jehovah's Witness are called "worldly people" and we are connected to Satan (Totally silly to us outsiders but this is what they believe).

I have a desire to rescue my coworker from this cult but I cannot. I wouldn't sacrifice my job by opening a can of worms. Plus, chances are he was probably raised as a Jehovah's Witness. Funny thing is we get along so well I wouldn't suspect him viewing me as a worldly person who is going to die in Armageddon, someone he shouldn't associate with. He doesn't treat me like that. We laugh and joke around. He seems very normal outside his beliefs.

Anyway, my reason for posting this is to warn the lonely and vulnerable who may feel the need to find Jesus to cope with loneliness. If this is the answer then please do so but please do not join the Jehovah's Witnesses or any cult of any kind. Please just do the normal thing and go to church and read the real bible. And please celebrate holidays. They are vital for bonding with friends and family.

And finally, be kind to Jehovah's Witnesses. They are not bad people, just cult victims, lost souls, regular people like you and me under Watch Tower mind control. Treat them with kindness and compassion.

P.S. This is for your amusement.

It's not like you've been a member or have any family who are, so it seems odd that you've chosen to single them out. As a kid I had a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness, he was still a friend when it was clear I wasn't going to join (for some reason.) Sure their beliefs are strange, but in most respects no more non-mainstream than other denominations or movements like the Exclusive Brethren, Closed Baptist, Mormon and Seventh-Day Adventist Churches. Obligation to tithe, separation from non-believers, prohibitions on various things, it's all found elsewhere. And let's not get started on the Church of Scientology.

ardour said:
It's not like you've been a member or have any family who are, so it seems odd that you've chosen to single them out. As a kid I had a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness, he was still a friend when it was clear I wasn't going to join (for some reason.) Sure their beliefs are strange, but in most respects no more non-mainstream than other denominations/movements like the Exclusive Brethren, Closed Baptist, Mormon and Seventh-Day Adventist Churches. Obligation to tithe, separation from non-believers, prohibitions on various things, it's all there. And let's not get started on the Church of Scientology.

It doesn't matter. It indirectly affects people as we all have to go through life encountering all kinds of people. Many have approached me with their magazines. So I developed an interest and decided to learn more about it. I don't think that makes me a weirdo.

I agree, cults have a way to make you feel like you are part of something, they are indeed dangerous to lonely people. I see left out of the list good old Hare Khrisna, (for which I actually have a great sympathy, but it is nonetheless a cult) Sokka Gakkai, the much nicer cults of Osho and Amma, in general if the group tells you that you will go to hell for not worshipping their leader it is probably a cult.

Alonewith2cats said:
They fit into the BITE (Behavior control, Information Control, Thought Control, and Emotional Control) model which is how you can tell the difference between real religion and a cult.

All religion actually contains cult-like behaviour. Things like communal prayer were identified by psychologists years ago as being the sort of mind numbing conformity used to control the weak minded. It starts to get scary when you look at it in detail.

Anyway, religion can make you less lonely. Though personally I recommend everybody steer clear of all religion since the essence of it is all around surrendering your own thoughts and opinions in exchange for blind faith. That's just my view... you're welcome to your own.

Nightwing said:
Alonewith2cats said:
Anyway, religion can make you less lonely. Though personally I recommend everybody steer clear of all religion since the essence of it is all around surrendering your own thoughts and opinions in exchange for blind faith. That's just my view... you're welcome to your own.

This is why I'm an atheist.

Alonewith2cats said:
It doesn't matter. It indirectly affects people as we all have to go through life encountering all kinds of people. Many have approached me with their magazines. So I developed an interest and decided to learn more about it. I don't think that makes me a weirdo.

I once sat on a park bench with a Mormon for a half of an hour between classes in college. I think it is interesting to listen to what people believe in. I don't think you're a weirdo for it. I often wiki different religions, out of curiosity. I still don' t know what I believe in yet.

Dont forget Scientology and the teachings about Xenu..

Whatever happened to the idiom, "live and let live?"

Many years ago, I once thought ALL religions were cults and that it was my moral responsibility to rescue these people from the clutches of massive ignorance.

Then, I realized I was doing the same thing as the people who told me I was going to hell if I didn't follow their rules.

So, I stopped trying to change people. People should be free to make their own choices in life, even if that places them in situations I would find worthless or intellectually damaging. I have enough of my own stuff to worry about than to focus on "saving" people from their own decisions. Furthermore, who am I to judge another person's definition of happiness?

All this being said, I will still ask the sugery-sweet JV door-knockers to politely leave my porch and to keep their pamphlets.

Case said:
Whatever happened to the idiom, "live and let live?"

Many years ago, I once thought ALL religions were cults and that it was my moral responsibility to rescue these people from the clutches of massive ignorance.

Then, I realized I was doing the same thing as the people who told me I was going to hell if I didn't follow their rules.

So, I stopped trying to change people. People should be free to make their own choices in life, even if that places them in situations I would find worthless or intellectually damaging. I have enough of my own stuff to worry about than to focus on "saving" people from their own decisions. Furthermore, who am I to judge another person's definition of happiness?

All this being said, I will still ask the sugery-sweet JV door-knockers to politely leave my porch and to keep their pamphlets.

Live and let live I agree with. What I don't agree with and what I find sad is when people are believing in something without knowing what is really happening behind the scenes and how they are being manipulated and if they only knew the truth they themselves would run for the hills. If they are well-informed and make a decision to keep their faith and stay where they are then that is their choice but if they are under mind-control which means the truth is being hidden from them by those who control the system then they are not truly acting on their own free will. I will not discuss any of this with my coworker for professional reasons so live and let live I will do do to keep my job. but I wonder if he would still be a Jevohah's Witness if he knew the truth. Most wouldn't. Because the Watch Tower organization strongly discourages its members from doing any independent research and even tells them the internet is connected to Satan. And "apostates" ex-Jehovahs witnesses are increasing in large numbers and they are speaking out against the organization. It's actually been called the greatest religious hoax in history.

Alonewith2cats said:
Live and let live I agree with. What I don't agree with and what I find sad is when people are believing in something without knowing what is really happening behind the scenes and how they are being manipulated and if they only knew the truth they themselves would run for the hills. If they are well-informed and make a decision to keep their faith and stay where they are then that is their choice but if they are under mind-control which means the truth is being hidden from them by those who control the system then they are not truly acting on their own free will. I will not discuss any of this with my coworker for professional reasons so live and let live I will do do to keep my job. but I wonder if he would still be a Jevohah's Witness if he knew the truth. Most wouldn't. Because the Watch Tower organization strongly discourages its members from doing any independent research and even tells them the internet is connected to Satan. And "apostates" ex-Jehovahs witnesses are increasing in large numbers and they are speaking out against the organization. It's actually been called the greatest religious hoax in history.

15 years ago, I might have written a similar post. But I gave up trying to "save" people from their own beliefs because it's hopeless. Do you honestly think that true believers of any religion or cult would actively pay attention to what you believe to be true? Adherents see dissenters as the enemy. JW followers see the apostates as "evil." The facts are meaningless to people who feel they have already found their "truth" in a theistic construct.

Let them stand or fall on their own. That's what I mean by live and let live. It is literally none of my business what the JW people do. They only affect me when they knock on my door. (As a pair of them did just today.)

Maybe you should become a cult deprogrammer or an exit counselor. If that's your path, do it. But that's going in far deeper than I'd ever want to go.

Edit: Typo

Case said:
Alonewith2cats said:

15 years ago, I might have written a similar post. But I gave up trying to "save" people from their own beliefs because it's hopeless. Do you honestly think that true believers of any religion or cult would actively pay attention to what you believe to be true? Adherents see dissenters as the enemy. JV followers see the apostates as "evil." The facts are meaningless to people who feel they have already found their "truth" in a theistic construct.

Let them stand or fall on their own. That's what I mean by live and let live. It is literally none of my business what the JV people do. They only affect me when they knock on my door. (As a pair of them did just today.)

Maybe you should become a cult deprogrammer or an exit counselor. If that's your path, do it. But that's going in far deeper than I'd ever want to go.

You're right. The only way anyone can reach them is if they're starting to have doubts already. Then it's downhill from there. I just found learning all this stuff about them interesting because now if someone comes to me with an Awake magazine I can see right through them and their nice looking published literature while I'm politely saying "no thank you. Before I didn't understand them, thought they were just another religion, I can share what I've learned about them to prevent current non-Jehovah's Witnesses from joining them in the first place, and if I should ever meet a Jehovah's Witness with doubts I can refer him or her to those "forbidden" sources on the internet. In the meantime, those men in Brooklyn, New York (The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society) are rolling in $$$ and living the dream millionaire lifestyle. Would you like to see their estate? This lady took pictures. You can move the mouse through half the video to get to the pictures. It's a long video.

I think I'll go eat soup and watch TV now.

Just a friendly reminder that religious debate is not permitted here, so lets not go down that path. At the same time please respect other peoples religions despite how you may feel about them. Just like everything in life they all have their good and their bad.

Thanks.

What happens if this co-worker doesn't feel like they need any saving from this? It's in their own right to follow what they choose, despite if the fact is what they're a part of is only after monetary gain.

Somewhat off track, but I found that you can get rid of doorstepping Mormons by asking them inside for some 'sex in chains' in the Joyce McKinney manner. ..

*deep breath* I was engaged to a Jehovah's Witness, I was with her for 5 years, so I could go on all day about this xD putting it bluntly I had to let her go months before our wedding because her family, friends and church were going to disown her (to be fair this happened frequently throughout our relationship, threats but this time it was serious business). She couldn't handle it... and who could? To me religions are a community, a group. They're comfortable with their surroundings and everyone they love is a part of that, its a family/community form of interaction and its hard to go against the grain and loose those close. Most just suck it up and try their best to keep their family happy.

⬆that is so sad. It must have been heartbreaking for you. And so terrible for her to be put in such a position by family.

But I am sure not unique to JWs. Catholics and Protestants, Jews and Christians, Hindus Muslims and many others can disown family members for choosing a love from the 'Wrong' religion.

Life is just too short for this stuff, IMHO.

Almost everybody wants to belong to something, doesn't necessarily have to be a religion... Even as a kid, we're encouraged to join something in school, chess club, debate club, any sports team, cheerleaders, boy scouts & girl scouts, & anything you can think of... Then in college years, so many different fraternities & sororities... That "group mentality" is carries on into our adulthood... Anyone that didn't "belong" to a certain group was tagged as a loner, among other things... For some people, it does good... For some, not so good... Every time I tried, & have, joined anything, I really didn't feel as though I didn't belong... Religions are no different... Everyone's gonna gravitate towards a certain belief system... Even atheists have their own belief system... It's just semantics... Some call it beliefs, faith, religion, way of life, & so forth... Pick your word, or combination there of... When a person is faced with loneliness, he/she can choose to do one, or combination, of few things... Look to religion, family, friends, certain groups such as fraternity... I belong to a fraternity... For the sake of inevitable arguments, I won't say what it is... I found & met some great people through it... For the group that is so widely misunderstood, I've never seen a better group of guys who are willing to go out of their ways to help a perfect stranger once they find out we belong to same fraternity (different chapter)... No matter what the topic is, there will always be a section of the group that will try to take advantage of its members...

VanillaCreme said:
What happens if this co-worker doesn't feel like they need any saving from this? It's in their own right to follow what they choose, despite if the fact is what they're a part of is only after monetary gain.

I'm not going to bring up the subject at work anyway.

What really shocks me about this belief system is the thousands of suicides that have occurred from people being trained to refuse blood transfusions. Prior to this they were trained to refuse organ transplants and vaccines until the Watch Tower changed their rules. And who knows how many committed suicide after being shunned by their own family for leaving the organization. They train their members to do that. I just hope none of this stuff ever happens to my coworker because I like him as a person and nobody deserves any of this. So I'm just concerned because we sit next to each other at work and we're like buddies at work. We laugh and joke around, share food with each other. Somebody here said he thought it was odd that I've decided to single this religion out. It's because even though I've never been a JW or had a close friend or family member who was a JW my life has been indirectly impacted. In addition to my coworker being a JW many JWs have approached me in my life with their magazines. So I decided to research them and I became shocked by what I found out.

Anyway, another reason I won't be discussing this with my coworker is that I would hate to tear up a family. He was probably raised that way as many JWs have been and since they shun their members once they have doubts...it's dirty business and I'll stay out of it. The only time I would say something is if a JW expressed any doubts to me or if a JW on the street became too pushy with their magazines or trying to convert me. Then I will want to try to plant a seed of doubt in their heads to counteract what they're doing because I'm really not for it.

But don't worry folks. I will live and let live. And I'm going to stop posting about this now because I don't want to open up a can of worms. I got the warning.

Alonewith2cats said:
And I'm going to stop posting about this now because I don't want to open up a can of worms.

I can close the thread if you'd like me to. It's good that you have consideration for the sensitivity of the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back