Afraid to call my friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-alchemist

Reaction score
It's summer break now, so there is no semester. And I'm a little bored and lonely now, but I've got many friends here. One of my problems is that for some reason I'm afraid to call them to see if they wanna hang out. They say to me, "you can call me and we can hang out".

But when I pick up the phone to call them, something is holding me back. Maybe it's fear of rejection, I don't know. But for some reason, I'm scared of calling them. So I rather sit at home and be bored than calling anyone

I hate talking on phones...dont know why, just do :p

WHat about texting them? Thing is, whats the worst that could happen with you asking-they could say no. If one says no, it doesnt mean the rest will.
If its cos you dont know what to say, you could just be all casual and say something like "Hey, You want to hang out or something?" (i have no idea how you speak-apply to yourself :p) that can go one or two ways-no-then try someone else. Yes-great! sort something out-if you dont know what to do-ask them what they wanna do. They have said they will hang out-if they are your friends they are prob being sincere about it.

Go on- give it a go. I know how you feel but trying to do something is better than just sitting being bored knowing that you havent!

I find most people text...either way, I don't see what is the issue.
These people are not strangers - you call them your friends.
If you want to spend time with them - just ask if they're up for doing something (movies, sports, gaming etc).
Oi...I wish I had friends to call and I'm sure plenty of other people do as well.

Yeah I don't call my friends either, I just text them if they wanna meet up.
I'm like that even with texting though, I guess I fear of being rejected.
However if you don't contact them then you'll never get to hang out with them.
So you have nothing to lose, either they're busy (they can rearrange), or not.
Most cases I found is that they're always happy to hang out with you. :)

i don't think it's so much that you're scared to call them, but more that you just don't care about making phone calls. ie, you have no interest in making any contact with anyone over the telephone.

it's perfectly normal. i'm totally like this. i never call my dad, or my mom, or any of my friends, or even my girlfriend. they usually call me, and then after three or four minutes i'm desperate and looking for a reason to hang up... "oh, the stove's on fire", or "great! the dog knocked over the trash can and is chewing up all the trash bags", or of course, "hello?... are you there?... i think you're breaking up!... i can't hear you!...".

you're probably just not a phone call type of person. if you're like me, you'd rather just contact your friends by e-mail, or ask someone that's with you to call them for you, or just stop by their homes and see if they want to hang out.

If they have you in their contact list then it must be for a reason. Go for it, if they have you in contacts then I am 98% sure that's green-light! Besides, the worst thing they could say is "I'm doing something else". There must be someone like you wanting to hang out and do stuff.

Just do it in small steps. Why not try gathering up the courage to call one guy? Not even because you really think there's a super good chance he'll want to hang out, but just to prove to yourself that you can do it. I mean you have to start somewhere. You're obviously fearing rejection, but you're not even sure of that. Why not find out for sure by calling one person and seeing what happens? I guarantee you you have done things that made you more scared in your life. ... At least that's the advice I'd try to give myself if I was in your position.

Latest posts

Back