Afraid to see psychiatrist

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nana

Reaction score
Is this in the right section? I wasn't sure where else this would go...

Sorry, but this topic is a little bit pathetic. Today my mother and I were having an argument and the last thing she said was that I need a shrink. She even made an appointment.

I don't like psychiatrists in general. I've seen two at different times when I was a child. They may help some and that's great, but this won't help me. I don't need another person in my life to judge me and to me, I feel like they're being paid to make judgments. And what makes them worse is that as they're judging me, they're filling out a prescription to turn me into a zombie.

I'm afraid of what he'll ask, what he'll want to talk about, and being misunderstood. It's not for another week, but I'm getting very anxious about it. I don't know what to do to feel better about going. I really do know that it'll only do me good to go, but...

Has anyone else ever seen one of these before?

Actualy Pychiatrists arent allowed to judge you negatively, it's called Unconditional Positive Regard; one of the fundamentals of therapy. :)

I am *blushes*

I went to one for about 2 months and hated every second of it. It wasn't for me. I swore I'd never go back and I haven't.

SophiaGrace said:
Actualy Pychiatrists arent allowed to judge you negatively

Just because a person is a psychiatrist doesn't mean that they aren't human. I've heard of plenty of stories about armchair judgment from psychiatrists/psychologists.

I have to see a psychiatrist because thats how I get my medication. If I stopped taking my medication I would end up in the hospital and see a psychiatrist everyday. Mine is evil, but he understands my particular condition better than the other ones so woe is me.

I think I do need one, but cant afford it. Heck I even have interest in studying psychology just because I want to understand and fix myself. Who better to do it thathe person who knows you best huh. But still would love to go to one to vent to atleast, ohwell, consider yourself lucky.

I'd be careful taking pills.. i took my first med at 15, zoloft, and it gave me permanent suicidal ideation. Another one, topamax, gave me night tremors, and another one I tried last year gave me permanent mussel twitches. And now I'm worse off than I was to begin with, and am now dependent on pills. Just be careful, read the side effects and ask questions. Even if your mom is making you go, you don't have to do anything you don't want to.

SophiaGrace said:
Actualy Pychiatrists arent allowed to judge you negatively, it's called Unconditional Positive Regard; one of the fundamentals of therapy. :)

You're silly. Just because they're not supposed to doesn't mean they will.

I'm not supposed to steal pens from work, but I do, I just don't tell anyone.

OP - try it out, and if you don't like it, stop going. As simple as that.

Nana, I had been in therapy for over 10 years!! They aren't going to judge you... mainly ask some questions until YOU find they topic that you continue talking about... the spot that you need help with...

someone else said it above.. give it a try... a real try... a few sessions, and if you don't like it.... or you feel like you don't click with the therapist... then look for another.. or stop going.

It can't hurt to try. I also take meds for anxiety disorder... and i have never had any ill effects from them... but I wouldn't like a Dr. if on the first time you saw them.... they start talking about giving you meds!

anyway... good luck, and try to relax... they are there to help!

I ran across an idea that struck me as brilliant. Go interview potential therapists before choosing one. Make no further commitment and identify that you want to meet first off to see if it's a good match up. Ask about what sorts of treatments they favor, their outlook, etc.

If they are getting paid to help you, you have a right to be met half way. This being said, I hate therapists and meds and haven't done any of that for four years now, for better or worse.

Find a doctor you like and feel that you can trust. It can take a few tries with different doctors. I recommend going to someone because therapy really can help a lot. :)

I'm highly skeptical about psychiatrists, but I know the actual good ones can be helpful. It just can take a while to find the right one for you that actually knows how to listen. Give it a try, and you can always quit if he makes you uncomfortable. Also, you have the right to deny taking any medication. If a psych says they won't see you unless you're in meds, they are full of crap.

I'm also afraid for a lot of reasons.
Cost, them judging me, not wanting to reveal personal information, and being afraid that they'll say there's nothing wrong with you, you're just a wimp who needs to toughen up.

It might be a good thing to see a psychiatrist for assessment purposes. When dealing with psychiatrists, it is also very important to understand all of your therapeutic options. Rx meds are not the only or best plan. There are also a variety of talk-based therapies which can be very effective, depending on the diagnosis. In some cases, though, meds are the best option for achieving a level of stability. Not all P-docs are drug pushers; many of them are invested in their patients' care. It can be difficult finding the perfect match though.

Be frank and honest with the doctor. Try to see him by yourself, not with your mother hovering over you or directing the conversation. A doctor can do nothing for you without the full picture.

Even if you and the doctor decide that meds are not the best course of plan for you, would you consider seeing a therapist, perhaps a clinical psychologist or a counselor?

Best of luck!

SophiaGrace said:

And therein lies proof that psychiatrists are simply parasites on humanity, exploiting the socially/mentally/emotionally vulnerable for a buck.

They aren't allowed to judge you negatively?!?! So they just tell you what they figure you want to hear yes? A yes man/woman that gets paid by the minute. My humble opinion: a psychiatrist is like a personal trainer...you don't need one! You can do your thinking yourself...ask yourself the questions to which you know you wont like the answers to and you'll accomplish the same thing that a psychiatrist will help you do for several hundred dollars/half hour. Kinda like how you know how to lose weight, eat right and exercise...you don't need a personal trainer to tell you what you already know.

grainofrice24 said:
SophiaGrace said:

And therein lies proof that psychiatrists are simply parasites on humanity, exploiting the socially/mentally/emotionally vulnerable for a buck.

They aren't allowed to judge you negatively?!?! So they just tell you what they figure you want to hear yes? A yes man/woman that gets paid by the minute. My humble opinion: a psychiatrist is like a personal trainer...you don't need one! You can do your thinking yourself...ask yourself the questions to which you know you wont like the answers to and you'll accomplish the same thing that a psychiatrist will help you do for several hundred dollars/half hour. Kinda like how you know how to lose weight, eat right and exercise...you don't need a personal trainer to tell you what you already know.

Hell, if I went to one, and he/she thought I was being a spankface, I'd **** well want to know that too. wtf? lol :p

It really depends which shrink you get, you can't really brand a whole group of people as being exactly the same because of their job.
I'd go, if you don't like the questions you don't have to answer them. They really aren't that special really, they're probably just going to use simple methods to try put you in a different mind set. If they suggest medication I personally would refuse it.

They can't get inside your head and read your thoughts, they can't force you to answer anything you don't want to answer. Some people even go to shrinks just to make their life a living hell by turning the conversation around and asking the shrink questions about their life.

Don't worry about it, I'm not sure what exactly your going for but it's more or less going to be a simple 1-1 or 2-1 conversation depending if you're bringing a parent/guardian/family member.

Nana said:
Is this in the right section? I wasn't sure where else this would go...

Sorry, but this topic is a little bit pathetic. Today my mother and I were having an argument and the last thing she said was that I need a shrink. She even made an appointment.

I don't like psychiatrists in general. I've seen two at different times when I was a child. They may help some and that's great, but this won't help me. I don't need another person in my life to judge me and to me, I feel like they're being paid to make judgments. And what makes them worse is that as they're judging me, they're filling out a prescription to turn me into a zombie.

I'm afraid of what he'll ask, what he'll want to talk about, and being misunderstood. It's not for another week, but I'm getting very anxious about it. I don't know what to do to feel better about going. I really do know that it'll only do me good to go, but...

Has anyone else ever seen one of these before?

A very long time ago I saw two.
The first was worse than worthless and I never went back.

The second was better and eventually said:
"The only thing wrong with you
is that you think something's wrong with you"
He was right of course.
But I was stressing about the cost of his services
and never went back to see if he could help me
stop believing that there's something wrong with me.
And today I wonder what would be different if I
had kept on seeing him.

So my advise to you is to go.
Especially if someone else is paying the bill.

I'm a big fan of Buddhist nun Pema Chodron
and she's always talking about
"learning to stay" and "leaning into the sharp points"
Both are references to facing our problems
instead of running away from them.
You can download her recordings on audible.com

Good luck to you.

Shrinks are pretty useless. Use the money on a gym membership instead. They have liberal agendas and tell you all this stupid sugar-coated crap about how happiness comes from "within".

Latest posts

Back