Alienation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently slipping in to another episode of "fresia I suck," and I am aware that this is influencing my perception of things.

That said, I feel completely disconnected from most of my "peers" and "my generation." This is not something new to me. I don't think that I could connect to another person, even when I desired it. Because people I like are hidden like me.

I have nothing to share with people. I love history, video games and books, but I find no people around me who share these passions. Hell, a guy who likes poetry? He must be a fag.

Severe disappointments with people have created this immense feeling of disdain and distance to people who have no idea what I have went through. But loneliness is apparently something I should be ashamed of? But why? It is at the core of my existence. It has been going on since I was 5. But I've endured, I have proven myself that I can be strong by staying sane. Is this not admirable?

The people I feel connection with seem more like an exception, and they are those who too have been shunned unjustly. I have immense sympathy to every bullied kid, every person who has been dealt a shitty hand, and it enrages me to no-end that this is normal life to some people. People like me.

Why am I such an unlikable person? Why can't I just move on? The world is meant for the strong, and happy people. Not to people like me. The Humiliated and bitter about it.

And I am to be shunned for these kinds of thoughts.

I feel completely disconnected from most of my "peers" and "my generation." This is not something new to me. I don't think that I could connect to another person, even when I desired it. Because people I like are hidden like me.
this is actually normal, who actually believes connecting with everyone is the norm? yes the society might make it that way "popularity" but that has nothing to do with "connection". and those that seem to have many connections (popular) may want alone time because they always feel swamped or obligated to socialize. And, you know where people like you hide, just find them.

I have nothing to share with people. I love history, video games and books, but I find no people around me who share these passions. Hell, a guy who likes poetry? He must be a fag.
It's not that you have nothing to share, it's that very little people want to hear what you have to say. Why? because your interests are just those things that aren't talked about. It has nothing to do with you, so don't take it personally.

Severe disappointments with people have created this immense feeling of disdain and distance to people who have no idea what I have went through. But loneliness is apparently something I should be ashamed of? But why? It is at the core of my existence. It has been going on since I was 5. But I've endured, I have proven myself that I can be strong by staying sane. Is this not admirable?
First understand the disappointment. Why? Is it because their bar is set so high no one can reach it? Is their image of you not something you want to be? Or is it that you are unable to achieve something you WANT to achieve? Many people especially parents or guardians often set standards and expectations so high that results in hurting the future generation, on top of destroying any freewill of the victim. "You should be a doctor, that's what we're raising you to be, so act like it." is not how it works, because your dream might be to become something else.

Nothing wrong with loneliness. Think of it as choosing to be in isolation (not the best way to explain it, but i cant think of the word)

The people I feel connection with seem more like an exception, and they are those who too have been shunned unjustly. I have immense sympathy to every bullied kid, every person who has been dealt a shitty hand, and it enrages me to no-end that this is normal life to some people. People like me.
Isn't it always an exception? and who isn't attracted to their own? actors hang with actors. party people hang with party people. businessmen hang with businessmen. homeless hangs with homeless. rich hangs with the rich. bodybuilders hang with bodybuilders. so whats wrong with you attracted to people like you? nothing.

Why am I such an unlikable person? Why can't I just move on? The world is meant for the strong, and happy people. Not to people like me. The Humiliated and bitter about it.

You're not unlikable, it's taken out of context, i explained it above. you can move on, just understand your situation. You are strong, and you can be happy, if you let yourself be.

Hi there.

I'm sorry life hasn't been so well for you. But I gotta say I agree with what Regumika said above.

ThoughtsFromCellar said:
I am currently slipping in to another episode of "fresia I suck," and I am aware that this is influencing my perception of things.

You're right, it is influencing your perception of things. Glad you know that, because then you will know how to stop yourself from believing those negative perceptions in life.

ThoughtsFromCellar said:
I love history, video games and books, but I find no people around me who share these passions. Hell, a guy who likes poetry? He must be a fag.

Those things you like... are actually pretty common around. Not sure about where you are, perhaps you're right... but the things you stated there are not uncommon at all. Even poetry. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a guy liking poetry.

ThoughtsFromCellar said:

You can move on. The only person who can tell yourself to move on, is you. Your mindset has to change. You have to be more positive and have faith that good things will happen someday, and in the meantime, not to expect too much, you should do good to others in the community. Or even do things that make you feel good about yourself or feel better.

The world is not meant for the strong and happy. The world is for every human being to live in and learn and improve themselves as well as to contribute goodness to the others around them to maintain peace.

Why do you say you are to be shunned for these kind of thoughts? Who's to say you should be shunned? Everyone is entitled to their own thinking. No one can shun you for anything - unless you let them. Who cares what other people think? You make your own life work - not them. So why let their thoughts or views of you affect you? Ignore, and walk on. You know you're a good person at heart who just wants to make more friends - let that be your positive intention. That's all that matters.

Regumika said:
this is actually normal, who actually believes connecting with everyone is the norm? yes the society might make it that way "popularity" but that has nothing to do with "connection". and those that seem to have many connections (popular) may want alone time because they always feel swamped or obligated to socialize. And, you know where people like you hide, just find them.

Thank you for a thoughtful answer.

But it is the norm; people who have more common things to connect have much easier time to find someone they prefer share those things. This is harder for me, as being mentally ill is a severe handicap in many ways. A big taboo.

And if people are hidden like me, how in the hell am I supposed to find them? Yes, dating sites, universities, laughing academies...I really can't deal with rejection right now. I am having a really rough time with depression right now.

It's not that you have nothing to share, it's that very little people want to hear what you have to say. Why? because your interests are just those things that aren't talked about. It has nothing to do with you, so don't take it personally.

Yeah, I get that. It's just it's rare to find people like me, that was kinda my point. Alienated from my community of peers.

First understand the disappointment. Why? Is it because their bar is set so high no one can reach it? Is their image of you not something you want to be? Or is it that you are unable to achieve something you WANT to achieve? Many people especially parents or guardians often set standards and expectations so high that results in hurting the future generation, on top of destroying any freewill of the victim. "You should be a doctor, that's what we're raising you to be, so act like it." is not how it works, because your dream might be to become something else.

That is also something I have had to deal with. But I wonder why I have to hide that I was dealt a shitty hand? Like it was MY FAULT. I just didn't find people to hang around as a kid, and it is something to be ashamed of. Everybody has to be perfect, and show no emotions. That is how I should behave, and I feel messed up.

Nothing wrong with loneliness. Think of it as choosing to be in isolation (not the best way to explain it, but i cant think of the word)

I agree wholeheartedly. And solitude is something I value, introspection is very much my thing. But there is this thing about loneliness other people really have hard time understanding if they haven't gone through it like I have. "If he's lonely, there must be a good reason!"

Isn't it always an exception? and who isn't attracted to their own? actors hang with actors. party people hang with party people. businessmen hang with businessmen. homeless hangs with homeless. rich hangs with the rich. bodybuilders hang with bodybuilders. so whats wrong with you attracted to people like you? nothing.

I didn't say it was wrong, it was just that it is going to be bloody hard finding someone like me. As if it isn't hard for everybody anyways. Mentally ill really don't have some club where we meet for drinks and laughs. And mental hospitals are really unhappy places if you haven't been there yet.

You're not unlikable, it's taken out of context, i explained it above. you can move on, just understand your situation. You are strong, and you can be happy, if you let yourself be.

It's just the feeling of being in a completely wrong place at the wrong time. I know I can be happy, I know I can survive this. I just don't know how at the moment.

Thank you again.

ladyforsaken said:
Hi there.

I'm sorry life hasn't been so well for you. But I gotta say I agree with what Regumika said above.

Hello.

You're right, it is influencing your perception of things. Glad you know that, because then you will know how to stop yourself from believing those negative perceptions in life.

Yep, therapy helps with this. And I am trying to beat myself in this shitty game my mind plays on me. But I just keep falling in to this pit, I feel stupid.

Those things you like... are actually pretty common around. Not sure about where you are, perhaps you're right... but the things you stated there are not uncommon at all. Even poetry. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a guy liking poetry.

I read a lot as a kid. I remember other children sneering at me, and I remember that they called me "painter of the sky" with a leering manner because I was always in my mind wondering about things. Yeah, my early life has influenced much, I know that. It sucks that it has to be a crappy real life version of bildungsroman.

And I don't know a single guy who likes poetry. I live in a pretty small town, so I guess that explains it. My community is not very open to arts and change.

You can move on. The only person who can tell yourself to move on, is you. Your mindset has to change. You have to be more positive and have faith that good things will happen someday, and in the meantime, not to expect too much, you should do good to others in the community. Or even do things that make you feel good about yourself or feel better.

Its going to take time, and as I have said before, I feel very disappointed with other people. Its hard to repair this kind of damage alone. But I know what you mean, and I have tried it before. Its just very hard.

The world is not meant for the strong and happy. The world is for every human being to live in and learn and improve themselves as well as to contribute goodness to the others around them to maintain peace.

I am currently on sick-leave on account of severe depression. And if I said this to people near me, they would be very surprised and probably would not offer much support. I just feel that people think that "he's disturbed." They have said to my face that I am "weird" and "your eyes are scary." I can't find reasons why they would say that.

And I have been an easy target in the past. Lonely often are.

Why do you say you are to be shunned for these kind of thoughts? Who's to say you should be shunned? Everyone is entitled to their own thinking. No one can shun you for anything - unless you let them. Who cares what other people think? You make your own life work - not them. So why let their thoughts or views of you affect you? Ignore, and walk on. You know you're a good person at heart who just wants to make more friends - let that be your positive intention. That's all that matters.

I see the injustice done around me, and people think it is completely normal. I probably have some form of anxiety disorder as well, and have hard time dealing with destructive thoughts. I can't imagine I could tell anyone about my revenge fantasies, (I have no desire of really hurting anyone, everyone who has been bullied has revenge fantasies) and this secret weights heavy. I have hard time just imagining a person who could understand me.

I thank you for your reply as well. I spend too much time alone right now, but I just started this medication that throws my mood around. So it's harder to be near other people than usual.

ThoughtsFromCellar *hugs*

My boyfriend likes poetry. And I know a few other male friends who likes poetry as well. It could just be where you are, like you said, do not really appreciate all this. But don't take it personally, liking poetry is not a crime, in the whole of humankind. :)

Yes, it's not easy battling all this.. and with the medications.. I know how it can fresia your moods and body around making you feel like crap. *shakes head* but the good thing here is that you're trying and you keep going.

Latest posts

Back