All my mates are in relationships but I'm not...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else in this situation? All my mates have girlfriends now and I haven't. It's not that I don't get invited to things but I know that it would just feel wrong to be sitting there and knowing I'm the only one there not in a relationship. It sort of rubs the fly in the ointment if you ask me so I always make excuses not to go.

It's not that I even mind - in fact in truth I actually prefer - being a singleton as it overts most of the complications associated with being in that position. It's just that my mates don't and I guess can't really be expected to understand that when they ask me to these things they're actually putting me in what I see as a very difficult personal situation.

On a more positive note I have learnt to accept my situation. I've never had, or been a fan of, large social networks but as time has gone on my old friends have their own lives to lead and I have not managed to connect with anyone like minded. I just get on with my own thing these days. I know myself too well and that most of the time I like my own space and like to just get on with something I can do on my own. I also 'take myself back in time' and go back to times where I was inspired by something. I have this ability to relive certain periods that were in my life in a past time.

Can and does anyone else do this?

Well there we are, that's my little update. Looking forward to hearing from anyone out there who can connect but if there's no-one well, ho hum I guess.

Thanks for reading,

SS

1. It seems like you can be happy on your own, that's a start.

2. If you go with those friends of your who have girlfriends, their girlfriend may have single female friends who may be looking for a boyfriend. Just a thought.

Lol

That's most certainly a fair point but past experience has proved that this is rarely, if ever the case. The main issue lies in the fact that I search higher forms of entertainment than a night getting sloshed at the pub or spending money on a massive meal of which I can't eat. I'd rather have a quiet night in and talk about synthesizers or time travel, or something else. Nuclear physics anyone? Nah, thought not...

Hence why I have learnt that my own company seems unbeatable right now.

SS

Lol you are definately not going to find those types of conversations in a pub. There has got to be places where you can find more intelligble people around where you live.

Standalone Sentinel said:
All my mates have girlfriends now and I haven't. It's not that I don't get invited to things but I know that it would just feel wrong to be sitting there and knowing I'm the only one there not in a relationship.

Why would it feel wrong? your friends dont care, why should you? what does it seriously matter? dude, seriously, get over it.

It sort of rubs the fly in the ointment if you ask me so I always make excuses not to go.

I hope you enjoy being lonely, because your going out of your way to be.

Dude, know the feeling. Just more so I know plenty of people who are together with someone. And then out of my close friends a majority of them are together with someone or beating around the bush with someone they like who likes them back. And while any situation that involves me going out with friends and there current bf/gf/attempted f..... It does rub off as if they're trying to point out I don't have one(mind you I know that this isnt it).

Towards the convo thing,,,,,,,I find my self in the same boat,,,,,its hard to find any women that aren't taken or aren't "bi/gay".....mind you I still become aquantences with them but still...yeah.

i've been dealing with the same thing. all my friends have someone, which is great...for them, i really am happy for all of them. but it tends to leave me left out a great deal of the time. i'll be free for the night and try to hang out with one of them, only to find out that they were planning on spending the night in with their bf/gf. or i find out my best friend/roommate is going out to meet up with a bunch of our friends and when i express interest in going i'm told, "oh, i'm really sorry jenn, but its kinda a couples thing."

sure there are plenty of times we all hang out and i get along great with their bf/gf, and we have fun but i find myself getting a bit sad when i'm talking to one of my friends and i see they have their arm around their girl or are sitting on their guy's lap. i guess i just see that and think "why not me? why have i never gotten to have that?" or "wow do they know how lucky they are? i would just melt if someone would treat me like that." i really love all my friends so i mean i would never tell them that this stuff hurts. i don't want to come off as jealous or offend them.

Latest posts

Back